Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Slash Guild

Back to Guilds

HPSG is a guild for the discussion and pure love of all things Harry Potter and slash! Join us in support of your favorite pairing! 

Tags: Harry Potter, slash, Potter, femslash, Harry 

Reply HPSG Head Quarters
Is Canon Destroyed By Fiction? May contain Spoilers! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

StargemKitty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:20 pm
[.Strawberry.Sushi.]
StargemKitty
*beams* My type of people.
I have the same problem.
I won't ship Draco with anyone but Harry.

Yeah. It does. There's a fanfiction better than the Published books, actually--that's not all for the ships, (though it's Drarry, xD).

I clipped the Epilogue out of my books. I'm in hard-headed denial.
-blinks- Het....fiction....? xP

WHAT EPILOGUE? -shifty eyes-
Yeah, I agree - there are some fics that are longer than the books, and are much more well written.
<3

-gives a lolly-
Trues. Trues. :nods:
The the story ended with Harry wanting that sandwitch! scream

Exactly! And Lighting made one that completely rewrote the series, from the first book to the end. THE BEST. I've ranted about it more than million times already, so excuse my laziness and lack of hyperness. I'm loaded with school-work. D:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:41 am
Oh my god, yes. That one part when Harry saved Draco's life? Totally made my year.

Harry and Ginny is too modern-day "perfect" to possibly exist. It's so sweet it gives you a toothache. That epilogue has more cliches than, than...I don't know, but there's a lot.

The epilogue in the seventh book was stupid and completely unnecessary, in my opinion. It was so horribly cliche'd. It reminded me of a bad fanfiction, what with the everybody-lives-happily-ever-after, we-all-love-eachother, had-a-million-kids-already-and-named-them-"meaningfully" thing. That's not the only thing either. You'd think that in an epilogue, you'd find out more than the basics of what happened to all the characters, after JK Rowling spent so much time and effort on the characterization of each one, emphasising over and over that there is stuff going on outside of Harry's field of vision. The epilogue is completely contradictory to the way she wrote before. I mean, everything she put in there we all *knew* was going to happen. I'd wished she'd had more subtlety than that, and that she didn't suddenly zoom in and kind of go, "Harry, Ginny, Ron, Hermione, boom, boom, boom, done." I mean, what happened to the other characters? The only detail she provided was that Neville was the Herbology professor now, and that Draco's going bald. That's it. Nothing else.

Yeah...the epilogue was a huge disappointment for me.  

chocobeans

r u m - r e g g a e

6,200 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:27 pm
uhmmm --
any non-incest het makes me wanna puke,
minus sirius/hermione. that makes me a little happeh.
slash forever tho. siriusly.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:18 am
i agree with chocobeans, i wish the epilogue included more characters outside the golden trio and their archnemisis. but yes remusxsirius and dracoxharry all the way! ^____^  

Mrs_S_Snape

Playful Wench

ChellitaRiho

Dapper Bloodsucker

6,200 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:26 pm
I haven't let fan fiction completely blind me to the going ons in canon. I will admit that I screamed bloody murder at the end of DH. I mean, it didn't seem plausible to me that Harry would fall for Ginny and the epilogue gave no kind of closure to it all. It would've been better if Harry continued his "streak" of being different and eloped.

If I say he sould've eloped with Draco, does that mean fan fic ruined things for me??? sweatdrop oh well

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:31 pm

No. I see them as two entirely separate entities.

Of which fanon is the best.

Shi-koi

6,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • First step to fame 200

Drakie Cakie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:28 pm
MERLIN YES!
I'm reading Half-Blood Prince, and it's where Harry's always like, 'he felt his stomach flop that had nothing to do with the blahblahblah...' because of her, I'm like EWSNEEEEER!

I have a tendency to stick my book in the freezer until I calm down. Grr. I don't care if Harry ******** marries MCGONAGALL or something, BUT NO GINNY EEEEW! I've never liked her for some reason, then I read the Epilogue, and I'm like 'um, no'.

Ew@Ginny
I want some blond-haired green-eyed babes, please.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:34 pm
Fanfiction RUINED Cannon for me. Not just the couples or anything! I couldn't make myself read the 6th and 7th books. I just don't like the cannon pairings period.
Harry/Ginny=yuck
Ron/Hermione= Hermione could do WAY better(like Ginny or Sirius or Harry)
HOWEVER, I do know of the AS/S thing and find it really cute.

My older sister (who has read every book) told me that she finds the last few books as POORLY writen fanfiction.  

Tromper

zencetera

Waffles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:10 pm
I feel the same, simply because I absolutely loathe HarryGinny. I cried through Deathly Hallows and Half-Blood Prince. Dammit. 'Course, my Harry!ship was killed back in Goblet of Fire. >.< Thank you, Robert Pattinson. I also have to say that I started to ship HD again after Harry saves Draco yada yada yada.

However, AS/S is amazing. Absolutely. Amazing. In this sense, the Epilogue opened up a lot of new pairings that no one can tell us aren't canon because WE NEVER KNOW. AHAR. Except, y'know, James the frickin' second/Teddy.

Canon doesn't kill fandom. Fandom kills Canon. With a bloody pipe.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:50 pm
The only canon ship that siriusly pisses me off is RemusTonks because, even if I wasn't a Wolfstar shipper, their relationship makes no sense! They aren't at all compatible. HermioneRon annoys me too because - I agree with Tromper - she could do so much better.  

MinervaEvenstar

FireTigerLightningPhoenix

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:13 pm
Most of the cannon I don't mind but I really disliked the epilogue I thought it was really unrealistic.
The only thing that I really liked about it was that it didn't mention Seamus and Dean (it was also a disappointment) but that means I can still say that they're together and madly in love xD

Fandom for me has mostly just enhanced my love for the books as I notice things and I’m like *giggles* slash hints YAY!
but also if there’s something cannon I don't like I can just go read a fanfic that says something that I do like.

I do prefer fandom ships to the cannon ones, but I don't mind most cannon ships...
I hate Het most of the time but if it’s cannon I tend to put it aside because of the fact it's cannon and the actually text or whatever won't change so i just except it

Harry and Ginny annoyed me though
I was surprised at how much Ron and Hermione annoyed me too since up to book 3 maybe I was all like "Hurry up get together" but then fandom made me dislike it xD

So in someways yes but some no

Sorry for the long rambling bad spellingness from me >.>
and the fact I most likely contradicted myself a lot...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:17 pm
ninja What book 7??!?!? ninja
THERE IS NO SUCH THING. It's all a bad dream.

Do we have an understanding? Sirius can't really be dead. He needs to return to his lover. Harry would never live due to the power of love (unless it's some kind of Draco-sacrificing-himself-for-the-cause scenario).
And, last but not least, DRACO MALFOY WILL NEVER GO BALD.
Right?!?!?!

* crying in corner*  

flight815kitsune

Friendly Conventioneer

7,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Soraiya

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:05 pm
I agree. I think fanfiction is better, personally. Although one of my friends compared the epilogue in the seventh book to a bad fanfic written by a 8 year old. I don't understand how such a good series can have such a bad ending. I heard that J.K. Rowlings was tired of writing HP. confused  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:56 am
the other day I was talking to a friend and we were discussing het fan fics and i turned to her and said
"btw i read the world's worst ff a while ago... it was harry ginny and there was this huge pointless fight with ron and there were these totally bogus things called the 'deathly hallows' that hat absolutly no purpose!"
and she said.... "erm... that was the book"

it what then i realized how great FF is and what a tool JKR is... and how life makes much much more sense when Draco and Harry are shagging in broomclosests.  

Tamsyn Marvene Riddle

Areliana

Rainbow Fairy

10,700 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Pieversity 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:53 am
personally the 7th book can be summed up thus: Chapters 1-36 FTW, Epilogue FTL...

But more seriously... the Epilogue was so annoying! I never liked the whole Harry/Ginny thing, ever. I mean the fact that the only person Harry was ever obsessed with in book 6 was Draco, which got my old drarry shipper very excited (When I was young I went through a drarry phase), as did the moment when Harry saved Draco, so cute. As a snarry shipper I absolutely hate the 7th book. I'm still in mourning for my beloved snape, but even as she sank my ship, JKR did give snarry it's best moment to date. Actually just as an aside, Harry and Snape have an incredibly charged relationship right from the off, it's incredible. But yeah... I think I've lost where I was going...

I don't think canon can ever kill fanon, I mean Snape is dead (though I live in the blissful world sometmes hanging on the fact that the light only went from his eyes... I don't think it's actually said that he dies in so many words...) but he will live on in fanon, heck I've read post-DH snarry.

Oh and as for sirius/remus. I agree that they're totally canon

in conclusion fanon has killed canon for me a bit...

sorry for the bizarre post, it's late.  
HPSG Head Quarters

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces