Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply *~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild
What is this guild's view on "alternative christians"... ? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

<3
  <3
View Results

Lass Kyon

Aged Sex Symbol

8,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:00 am

<3

By "alternative Christians" I mean, those who believe that Christ is our savior, but also have piercings, tattoos, and even mohawks.
I am, I suppose, considered an "alternative Christian". I have tattoos, piercings, and oddly dyed hair. However, I love the Lord more than anything, and everything. I read my Bible everyday, and I pray every night. It is pretty annoying when people judge me based on my appearances. Not even just myself, but when others who look different are judged.

Also, yes, I am aware that The Bible says not to modify our body in any way. However, would this not apply to simple ear piercings? Or make-up? Or plastic surgery? I believe it does.

We all fall short of the glory of God. But must we be judged by our own peers for not "looking Christian?"

What is your opinion on this matter?

<3

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:00 am
Romans 14:1-4. Also, please quote the verse that says not to modify your body in any way.  

Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori

promised_child

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:57 pm
ok..........
there really isnt such a thing as alternative christians. true Christianity (Christ likeness) is in the heart

as for alternative apperances- rock on  
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:03 pm
i believed that Christians is just a word and not an image. it just applies to anyone who believe that Jesus is their personal savior. how they dress or adore themselves is their own business. i mean in high school, you get labeled as something, a jock or preppy or geek, but that doesnt have to apply to how you act and dress. life isnt like that.  

sunshinehearttrob

Cyberpunk Hero

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:20 pm
Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori
Romans 14:1-4. Also, please quote the verse that says not to modify your body in any way.

Quote:
Romans 14
Principles of Conscience
Now accept the one who is weak in faith, but not for the purpose of passing judgment on his opinions.

One person has faith that he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats vegetables only.

The one who eats is not to regard with contempt the one who does not eat, and the one who does not eat is not to judge the one who eats, for God has accepted him.

Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

Relevance?

Also: What verse?

Finally, there is no such thing as "looking Christian". Christians often come from all walks of life, and have all sorts of appearances.  
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:30 pm
I feel that is not our place to judge those who feel they can dress alternatively; their faith is strong enough to allow them to do that, secure in the knowledge that they serve God just as well.  

Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori

Lass Kyon

Aged Sex Symbol

8,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:28 pm
promised_child
ok..........
there really isnt such a thing as alternative christians. true Christianity (Christ likeness) is in the heart

as for alternative apperances- rock on

<3

That's why I said "alternative Christians". It's what some people call it. Alternative because they dress alternatively. Personally I don't like the label.

@Everyone else: I totally understand what you're all saying. And it's what I am pointing out. XD.

As for where it says in The Bible not to modify yourself, I'm not sure of the exact verse, so when I find it I'll post it for you all to read. :]

<3

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:55 pm
As long as the faith is there, what should the outer appearance matter other than to be respectful? But even with a seemingly "crude" outer appearance, one can still be the most wise, caring and respectful of people.
It's because of people blinded by self imposed ideas that what they know should be the same for everyone, they're blinded by their own belief in a sense.
They believe that a Christian should not only act out how the Bible dictates, but they should conform to some dress code set up in a time when the respectable things was to wear slacks and a blazer, and instead of opening their eyes to the changing times, they remain blinded and impose this belief that the ticket to heaven is to put on a pretty smile and wear a nice suit or dress.

It's the faith my friends, the faith that is important.
Put yourself into God and let God in your life and what should your outer appearance matter? It's only an appearance grown by popular acceptance anyways.

Staeus Von Wolfenhart

Jenni2490

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:34 am
Steinie
As long as the faith is there, what should the outer appearance matter other than to be respectful? But even with a seemingly "crude" outer appearance, one can still be the most wise, caring and respectful of people.
It's because of people blinded by self imposed ideas that what they know should be the same for everyone, they're blinded by their own belief in a sense.
They believe that a Christian should not only act out how the Bible dictates, but they should conform to some dress code set up in a time when the respectable things was to wear slacks and a blazer, and instead of opening their eyes to the changing times, they remain blinded and impose this belief that the ticket to heaven is to put on a pretty smile and wear a nice suit or dress.

It's the faith my friends, the faith that is important.
Put yourself into God and let God in your life and what should your outer appearance matter? It's only an appearance grown by popular acceptance anyways.

Amen to that! 3nodding

It doesnt matter how you dress, i certainly dont wear the 'christian dress code' like 98% of my church does ^^  
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:15 pm
If you go to a strict baptist church like mine, then they will say that you must look presentable to the Lord on Sundays.

There is a verse where it says something about your body being a temple of God, but I forgot which verse it was. And that's where our bible study teachers tell us not to get tattoos, piercings, etc.

*shrug*

Ultra-conservative Christians won't approve of it with the exception of 'woman piercings' (piercing one each side of ear), etc.

My bible study teacher will say that it's okay to dress the way you ware just as long as it glorifies God and looks presentable to the Lord, while my other bible study teacher...

Jelai

promised_child

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:33 pm
what is the "christian dress code"?  
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:38 pm
promised_child
what is the "Christian dress code"?

sweatdrop You've clearly never experienced discrimination in the Church. Many Christian churches will talk badly about those who look different. At least, from my experience.

@Jelai: That's it! The 'Your body is a temple'. That was the verse. 3nodding  

Lass Kyon

Aged Sex Symbol

8,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100

Elenielle

Shameless Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:53 pm
I personally have nothing against it...I could never see myself piercing everything and getting tatoos (my deathly fear of needles aside) I just don't feel that I should do anything like that.

But hey, if you've no personal convictions about it, all power to you ^^

We have a family friend...he's so funny. He's a pastor. Fully ordained, has a church and everything, was even up for presbyter (pastor that represents all the others in district meetings) this year. Oh, his church is a biker's church. He's plastered in tatoos...rides a Harley, his wife and two daughters are getting tatoos...his hair and beard are long. It's awesome. He's really cool.

So yeah, it's the heart that matters.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:01 pm
x_Hikari_x
I personally have nothing against it...I could never see myself piercing everything and getting tatoos (my deathly fear of needles aside) I just don't feel that I should do anything like that.

But hey, if you've no personal convictions about it, all power to you ^^

We have a family friend...he's so funny. He's a pastor. Fully ordained, has a church and everything, was even up for presbyter (pastor that represents all the others in district meetings) this year. Oh, his church is a biker's church. He's plastered in tatoos...rides a Harley, his wife and two daughters are getting tatoos...his hair and beard are long. It's awesome. He's really cool.

So yeah, it's the heart that matters.

xd That's awesome.  

Lass Kyon

Aged Sex Symbol

8,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100

Amanda_S_C

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:45 pm
MonosodiumGlutamate

<3

By "alternative Christians" I mean, those who believe that Christ is our savior, but also have piercings, tattoos, and even mohawks.
I am, I suppose, considered an "alternative Christian". I have tattoos, piercings, and oddly dyed hair. However, I love the Lord more than anything, and everything. I read my Bible everyday, and I pray every night. It is pretty annoying when people judge me based on my appearances. Not even just myself, but when others who look different are judged.

Also, yes, I am aware that The Bible says not to modify our body in any way. However, would this not apply to simple ear piercings? Or make-up? Or plastic surgery? I believe it does.

We all fall short of the glory of God. But must we be judged by our own peers for not "looking Christian?"

What is your opinion on this matter?

<3

It really doesnt matter to me really.
It doesnt matter what you look like, but your right people judge you by it and I find that wrong, even though I know I do it myself.
I know I judge people by their apperances but, I really wish I wouldn't, because it doesnt matter what you look like on the outside.  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff