Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Pansexual backlash? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NegaScott_7x7

O.G. Shapeshifter

7,800 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:25 am
Something that I have been noticing lately is this trend where people are saying things along the lines of you shouldn't care about the gender of your partner. I get where they're are coming from but it seems to me like this could become a bad thing. To say that you shouldn't care about the gender of your partner is to say that its a choice to care at all. Sometimes when people say this kind of thing to me I get offended because I don't think I should be made to feel like I am supposed to be attracted to everyone just because they say so. I can't help it that I am not attracted to male anatomy and couldn't be romantically involved with a man. But even if I had the choice to like everyone, I wouldn't because why? I shouldn't have to do that just because other people think I should. And I'm not saying its bad to not care because its not, but to try to make people feel like they should do the same is what's bad because its just not that way for everyone.

Um so I guess I didn't really have a question, I just wanted to discuss this topic.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:59 am
I really think one needs to care somewhat, even if one is pansexual. If you completely ignore a gender, you're ignoring a part of your partener. Guys and girls also need to be treated somewhat different, from my experiences, so saying that dosn't matter is kinda ignorant.... Not trying to insult anyone, just voicing my view.  

Chris ex Machina

Cat

19,925 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Bookworm 100

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:49 am
I've seen a lot of individuals in the guild say things like, "Gender doesn't/shouldn't matter!". I don't believe for a moment that they intend for it to be anything negative, but it's always struck me as kind of a silly thing to say. (I feel the same way about "love is love", but that's another story.) The message they're trying to convey is actually a positive one, but it's just...poorly worded, I guess.

Gender or sex might not factor into attraction for everyone, but many of us just aren't wired that way. 3nodding We have our preferences, and even if we would like them to be blind to gender, we don't really have much (if any) say in the matter. You like who you like. Some people are strictly attracted to one sex, while others have a definite leaning, one way or the other. There's nothing wrong with that.

Anyway, again, I really don't think that our pansexual friends are trying to make anyone feel bad when they say "Gender shouldn't matter", so this isn't really much of an issue for me. Still, perhaps we can find a slogan that conveys a positive message about pansexuality, but without the negative implications about others. smile  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:36 pm
Noire Samhain
I really think one needs to care somewhat, even if one is pansexual. If you completely ignore a gender, you're ignoring a part of your partener. Guys and girls also need to be treated somewhat different, from my experiences, so saying that dosn't matter is kinda ignorant.... Not trying to insult anyone, just voicing my view.
Couldn't one argue that the view that guys and girls need to be treated different is a result of sexism and could be easily proven to be false based on a rapid first glance analysis of the different realtionionshp roles of other cultures?  

Raleigh_Ronin

Chris ex Machina

Cat

19,925 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:52 pm
Karl_Krebs

I was just speaking from my experience, but yes that could be true. But then they have their own physical wants and needs that need to be attended to, such as emotional strength or need to compete naturally. Their wants and needs are what I was talking about. I get to know the people before dating them, but I've just made connections between similarities.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:06 pm
Noire Samhain
Karl_Krebs

I was just speaking from my experience, but yes that could be true. But then they have their own physical wants and needs that need to be attended to, such as emotional strength or need to compete naturally. Their wants and needs are what I was talking about. I get to know the people before dating them, but I've just made connections between similarities.
I have had a fair amount eggnog to if I am misreading your post please correct my drunk a**. But it sounds like you are saying that emotional strength an competitiveness are based on gender.

For the record to OP I also consider myself gay. I prefer male physical characteristics such as a nice set of lats, strong jaw line, a well developed male upper body just flat out looks different to me and its one of the areas on a dude I find most attractive so I can understand how you feel.  

Raleigh_Ronin

NegaScott_7x7

O.G. Shapeshifter

7,800 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:18 pm
Taeryyn
I've seen a lot of individuals in the guild say things like, "Gender doesn't/shouldn't matter!". I don't believe for a moment that they intend for it to be anything negative, but it's always struck me as kind of a silly thing to say. (I feel the same way about "love is love", but that's another story.) The message they're trying to convey is actually a positive one, but it's just...poorly worded, I guess.

Gender or sex might not factor into attraction for everyone, but many of us just aren't wired that way. 3nodding We have our preferences, and even if we would like them to be blind to gender, we don't really have much (if any) say in the matter. You like who you like. Some people are strictly attracted to one sex, while others have a definite leaning, one way or the other. There's nothing wrong with that.

Anyway, again, I really don't think that our pansexual friends are trying to make anyone feel bad when they say "Gender shouldn't matter", so this isn't really much of an issue for me. Still, perhaps we can find a slogan that conveys a positive message about pansexuality, but without the negative implications about others. smile

Yeah, I know they probably mean well, I just worry that this will turn into something negative and become far more complicated than it should be. I would very much like to be wrong about some new movement beginning. I mean, I think people who don't desire a gender or what-have-you should embrace that the same way I embrace being female I just don't want it to turn into one of those things that started out with great intentions but quickly went too far. Like you said, I think things need to be worded better.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:45 pm
Karl_Krebs

It does look like that >.< I'm just bad at explaining what I mean.  

Chris ex Machina

Cat

19,925 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Bookworm 100

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:19 pm
hmm.
i think a better way of wording it might be "gender doesn't matter to me."  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:40 pm
loonaboots
hmm.

Those last two words make all the difference. 3nodding  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:03 pm
Taeryyn
loonaboots
hmm.

Those last two words make all the difference. 3nodding

yes they do.
the power of words! i love it.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:57 pm
loonaboots
hmm.
I like this. This solves so many problems.  

Raleigh_Ronin

Lady Vendetta Iceflame

Sweet Shapeshifter

15,375 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Noble Shade 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:35 am
Speaking from a pansexual point, I'd like to say this does not reflect every pansexual's point of view.

I don't discredit gender. I see it and go 'Oh, you're __________. That's cool, I'll remember that for when I'm asked.' I acknowledge it, but I don;t use it to judge how I feel about someone. Gender doesn't matter to me. I love you no matter who you are- I jugde almost purely on inner value.

On the outside, be yourself and don't be afraid. If you love colour, wear it. If you're into the whole 'cigarette and skinny jeans', rock it. If you want to be skater-chic, awesome. Just be yourself- put your spin of fashion. I like the standpoint gender doesn't matter to me. I like being inclusive, and am down for anything with anyone. Not everyone else is, and I'd never force it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:46 am
gender does matter. i dont care what gender my partner is since i have no gender preference, but my husband wants to be treated as a man, so because his gender matters to him then that means it should matter to me.  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

STONED STONER CAT

Partying Phantom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:36 pm
Honestly, love develops inside someone's heart despite what the gender is of the person it's directed towards. Everyone is different, and that's a part that will become accepted with whoever you fall in love with. And we all know love is crazy and weird and sometimes you don't know why you feel attracted to a certain person, but you are.

For me, the first boy I ever fell in love with had qualities I could never find in a girl, because at the time, he was who I wanted. When I met the only girl I've ever been with, I fell head over heels for her and felt emotions I never felt with my ex boyfriend.

Over time, I came to the realization that gender wasn't a serious factor when it came to who I was interested romantically, or sexually. Gender does matter and men and women should be treated as such. But it shouldn't prohibit you from taking an interest (or reject) someone for it.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff