Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jiti

Tiny Animal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:04 pm
[♫=♥]

I remember long time ago, while I was at Florida visiting a friend of the family, his neighbor came by to visit and brought her Pomeranian dog.

Her dog smelled so good. My mom agreed that the scent is fantastic, so she complimented to her about it. The lady said, "yeah I bought $70 shampoo for dog" and shown us the size of the bottle, which is quite small (like the size of an expensive perfume). Then she said, "But my husband's shampoo costs $2." lol

So I wonder, does good great shampoo cost that much? I just bought Bounce dog shampoo for dry skin and it cost me about $11 which to me is a lot for dog shampoo. Compared to the overly pampered Pomeranian, that's a lot less, but compare that to her husband's it's pricey. lulz

The shampoo smells way better then the other shampoo Petsmart have and I used to buy those cheap cheap cheep dog shampoos from some grocery store or Walgreens. Those shampoos did nothing on my dog's skin and her skin is super dry!

How much do you spend on one dog shampoo? Have you ever tried those expensive dog shampoo brands? If so, how were they?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:26 pm
I use the "Bed Head" dog shampoo "Pet Head", and it makes Dexter smell wonderful. the current scent is very flowery. The next one will be Black berry/vanilla.  

Whiskey On A Sunday

Eizoryu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:32 pm
Holy mother of God that's way too expensive for dog shampoo. o.O Hell, that's expensive for any kind of cosmetic thing other than perfume, IMHO.

We just use Oster's oatmeal formula and don't really have an issue. Maybe ~$5-9? Lucy's not outside enough to warrant it, doesn't really have dry skin, and she's not a hunter and will prolly never be skunked, so... Yeah. No reason, though I have considered having her groomed to take advantage of a Top Dog addon at work and maybe put a stopper on all this shedding she does. White Citrus is the scent this go-around.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:55 am
I usually use earth bath or spa. Anything that doesn't strip them of their natural oils, is gentle, organic and biodegradable WILL be a little more expensive. I think they're 15-20 dollars for 8oz. 70 dollars is ridiculous, no matter how good it smells. The only earth bath I like the smell of is the regular oatmeal aloe and the green tea aloe. All the others are ridiculously perfumy. The Spa shampoos are super nice. I use em on myself even I love the smell.

When I took Cowboy to get groomed, I forgot to bring his shampoo. She used something called CHI it comes in a red fire hydrant bottle, I need to look it up see if it's any good but it smells awesome, and he's crazy soft. She also used a perfume or conditioning spray on him. He smelled amazing but from like 3 feet away. I just worry there might be lanolin in it.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Jiti

Tiny Animal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:36 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

[♫=♥]

I'm sure groomers use good products on their dogs. My dog smelled so good for 2 weeks after I took her to Petsmart.
Not anymore because she vomited on her bed and slept on it. gonk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:38 am
Eizoryu

[♫=♥]

Oh I remember my dog getting skunked. WORST SMELL EVER. For some reason after my dog got skunked, she was as happy as a clam.

Jiti

Tiny Animal

Jiti

Tiny Animal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:39 am
Whiskey On A Sunday

[♫=♥]

I heard of that. Reminds me of those wacky products people used to give a mohawk to their dogs. That's what I thought those are. sweatdrop

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:41 am
Jiti
Whiskey On A Sunday

[♫=♥]

I heard of that. Reminds me of those wacky products people used to give a mohawk to their dogs. That's what I thought those are. sweatdrop

They probably just use glue for that. Or jello. That's what I used on my little brother.

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Whiskey On A Sunday

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:05 am
Jiti

Nope, just shampoos and deodorizing sprays.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:16 pm
I cant use generic stuff because I break out so I have to spend $10 or more on shampoos for my animals. Im looking at dog shampoos and not sure what to get since I dont know how Taison will react. He gets really bad sores during the summer that result in a few places to loose his fur. o_o Weirdly when the fur grows back its a really dark brown instead of light golden brown like the rest of his coat.  

xXGabriella-ShadowfireXx

Angelic Vampire

17,900 Points
  • Team Peyo 25
  • That One Hero 500
  • Super Jumper 500

imderanged

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:41 pm
I've tried a number of different shampoos and so far I really like "EARTHBATH" best of all. It's not cheap, about $15 a bottle, but it's not $70!!! I really like shampoo w/ D-limonene, so I ordered the "Orange Peel" formulation online (I found Earthbath products at Petsmart but NOT that particular kind) and I would definitely get it again.

PS My dog and I both have very sensitive skin and this formulation has not irritated either of us.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:59 pm
Earthbath products all the way! $12-15 for a bottle, and you can make that bottle go a long way. I'm Canadian and I see the products sold through Petsmart and Global Pet Foods. IMO it's reasonable.

I'm an individual who spend a lot of time in a natural dog groomers during high school and this groomer used Earthbath shampoos and grooming wipes. There were a lot of animals with skin problems that came in that would benefit from a diet change and baths with the mild shampoos from this line, specifically the oatmeal and aloe formula. My parents have a Westie, a breed that is known to have skin problems, and while he is on a good diet he does still have flare up's of flaky skin one or two times a year (I'm assuming other allergies) and he really benefits from a good bath with the aloe and oatmeal formula during these times. It doesn't dry his coat out like other "all natural" shampoos on the market, and it just benefits his skin.

The earthbath line of products are very mild, natural, non toxic, paraben free, phthalate free, and phosphate free. These are pet and human approved products (can be used on humans, dogs, cats, horses, ferrets etc.) I have used eathbath products on guinea pigs without any negative effect. These products do not contain detergents that can leave a residue in the fur causing problems like itchy or dandruff and they are safe to use with topical flea preventative medications. Parabens are a group of chemicals that have been widely used as preservatives in human and pet shampoos, but in 1998, the US Environmental Protection Agency released a report stating that parabens - butyl, ethyl, methyl and propyl varieties - demonstrated "estrogenic activity." This means that these chemicals could possibly imitate hormones found in the human body and have an adverse effect on our endocrine system when absorbed by the skin or flushed into our drinking supply. Phthalates are molecules found in some fragrances which have been linked to birth defects. Earthbath decided to play it safe with their product lines and not use these ingredients.  

- Vet Tech - 2011

hiysinphlay

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:14 pm
Back when I had a dog I never spent very much more than a couple of bucks on shampoo rofl But I guess it didn't smell awesome or anything just made him clean. :3

I love using the baby shampoo on the rats though ^u^

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:14 am
I think Savage uses something called Bark 2 Basics, but I have been unable to find it and shipping prices would suck, so I stick to earth bath

@Gabrielle, try earth bath! Very mild great shampoo, their regular shampoos are great for allergy and hot spot sufferers but they also have specialty shampoos for allergies, sensitivities etc. There's also a vet prescription shampoo you could try, I think it has a steroid in it though, I ought to remember this lol since I just had my exam on it. I think they use colloidal oatmeal. For you I think THIS one would be good

@Jiti, It's not every groomer that uses good products. Keep in mind they go through A LOT of shampoo, they of all people might be tempted to buy something cheap, rather than raise their prices and loose some customers. Also lots of supposedly "good" products have a lot of bad things in them. Like, while I love the smell of lanolin, it was Savage who told me it sticks to the fur and is best to stay away from. LOADS of shampoos have it, even bio groom. Or they may not know about the long term effects of SLS. I mean, look at hair salons, you would think they use expensive good shampoos, that may be true, but they are still filled with harmful chemicals. Until I can find the ingredients of this CHI shampoo I think I will bring my own when I take Cowboy for his bath.

@Vet tech: Where in Canada are you? Sorry if I already asked. I love Global pet foods, I applied at three different places and never heard back :'( My work now was actually my second choice. But I visit there despite my discount at work cause the one that use to give Cowboy free food for winning Pet Idol adopted this Cockatoo that I just adore. And they're the only store that sells good rat food.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

SmoothSavage

Eloquent Gawker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:20 am
I use Bark 2 Basics and Nature's Choice. Biodegradable, sulfate and lanolin free. smile

I have mixed feelings on Earthbath. I love their grooming wipes, I go through boxes of the things, but I'm not sold on their shampoos. We tried the tearless puppy one (the cherry smell is HEAVENLY), and used them on a friend's two small dogs. We bathed them in the same tub, using only the "tearless" puppy... well, the Chi shook and got some shampoo foam onto the Pom's face, right near his eye. We rinsed it off right away, but it still made his eye swell shut for about four days.

And that's their tearless shampoo.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces