Welcome to Gaia! ::

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duellists of Gaia

Back to Guilds

YDoG is an all TCG guild for all duellists. We also cover the entire Yu-Gi-Oh! games, shows, manga and RPG. 

Tags: Yugioh, Tournament, Duel, Trading Card Game, Anime 

Reply Domino City
Top 10 Rules to Making a Card Game Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

brotherofAnubus

Dangerous Survivor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:39 pm
I'm thinking of making one just as a side project that may or may not impact my creative writing for a class I'm taking this Quarter. So I thought you guys 'n gals might give me your top ten rules for making a card game.

And Please! Just a list of ten things, or even just a few things. I don't want people coming on and starting arguments, it ruins the fun.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:30 pm
If you have money, screw the rules.
And its most of the time done on motorcycles.  

R e M i x loid

brotherofAnubus

Dangerous Survivor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:52 pm
Johan REmix
Abridged Series quotes do no help, and your post has nothing to do with creating a Card Game.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:41 am
brotherofAnubus
Johan REmix
Abridged Series quotes do no help, and your post has nothing to do with creating a Card Game.

doesnt it? these days their are cards made simply to control flow of money through the rarity of those cards therefore they screw the rules with their money. as for motorcycles... screw it you know that sounds fun >.> CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES!  

shrab

6,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

B1g_crunch

Questionable Loiterer

8,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:36 am
Points are usually a factor in determining the winner.
There must be deciding rules for altering points.
Different types of cards work well.
Give depth so the game isn't so boring.
Must not be dependent on luck all the time.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:59 am
shrab
brotherofAnubus
Johan REmix
doesnt it? these days their are cards made simply to control flow of money through the rarity of those cards therefore they screw the rules with their money. as for motorcycles... screw it you know that sounds fun >.> CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES!
Card Games on Motorcycles will never work in the real world, period. As for the rare cards costing a lot of money, his comment didn't say anything about the cards, but the rules of the game. So please list things that would be helpful.  

brotherofAnubus

Dangerous Survivor

JRHUnknown
Vice Captain

Dapper Genius

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:41 am
Underpowered cards are fine for a new game. Overpowered cards released too early could ruin the game.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:35 pm
brotherofAnubus
shrab
brotherofAnubus
Johan REmix
Card Games on Motorcycles will never work in the real world, period. As for the rare cards costing a lot of money, his comment didn't say anything about the cards, but the rules of the game. So please list things that would be helpful.

you're very unimaginative aren't you? saying "Card Games on Motorcycles will never work in the real world" is a pretty concrete thing to say for someone trying to do any sort of creative writing. I'd work on the creative part before working on the writing portion.  

shrab

6,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Pheso

Dapper Capitalist

5,650 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:10 pm
1) When creating cards, attempt to make it so that no single card in any expansion is deemed "useless" (looking at you, all fusions before E-Heroes). Balance is the key. Make no combo "the greatest thing ever" (ala Chaos/Yata decks). This also prevents you from needing a banlist.

2) Try to think how your older cards would flow with newer expansions and what effect they would have on both casual and competitive play. (release of synchro monsters overtaking that of fusion and the more recent release of exceed that will probably overtake synchro).

3) Make the game "available" to the common man. Try to keep four expansions (or more) in circulation at all time. This prevents the price of good, older cards from skyrocketing. This rule helps keep #1 in effect in-case you accidentally release cards that change the game too much.

4) Keep it interesting. Add a variety of background stories, character arts, and game conditions that will keep your Timmies, Johnnies, and Spikes entertained.

5) Establish firm rule-sets. The biggest problem in yu-gi-oh is that the rulings on cards are constantly changing because of wording on cards on being able to be deciphered. Keep it simple like MtG's Key-Words (Flying/Haste/Defender/etc.)

That's all I can think of so far. Anyone care to add?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:54 pm
shrab
brotherofAnubus
shrab
brotherofAnubus
Johan REmix
you're very unimaginative aren't you? saying "Card Games on Motorcycles will never work in the real world" is a pretty concrete thing to say for someone trying to do any sort of creative writing. I'd work on the creative part before working on the writing portion.
The fact is, Yugioh 5Ds neglected certain real world aspects to make the anime work. For instance, if you were driving a motorcycle at the speed they were usually going and the wind picked up all of your cards would go flying away.
As a writer I want things to sound realistic, even if its fictional writing.  

brotherofAnubus

Dangerous Survivor

shrab

6,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:51 pm
brotherofAnubus
shrab
brotherofAnubus
shrab
brotherofAnubus
Johan REmix
The fact is, Yugioh 5Ds neglected certain real world aspects to make the anime work. For instance, if you were driving a motorcycle at the speed they were usually going and the wind picked up all of your cards would go flying away.

fiction contains a unlimited venue of creative thought and limiting that to whats possible would make it non-fiction. also how can you says its impossible for the cards to stay at those speeds? its in a distant future setting so technology could have made this possible and considering their obsession with the game in that show and how large that industry grew it would be profitable make it that interesting. its actually very possible with an open and creative mind.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:32 am
shrab
brotherofAnubus
shrab
brotherofAnubus
shrab

fiction contains a unlimited venue of creative thought and limiting that to whats possible would make it non-fiction. also how can you says its impossible for the cards to stay at those speeds? its in a distant future setting so technology could have made this possible and considering their obsession with the game in that show and how large that industry grew it would be profitable make it that interesting. its actually very possible with an open and creative mind.
D-wheels are not at all applicable in the real world, no matter how much you want them to be. You know what, why don't you build a fully functioning D-Wheel and post pics or a vid to prove that it works. Go on, we'll wait.  

Avalon avenger

Space Toad -B

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:52 am
shrab
Wow. You, just stop posting here.

The OP was regarding the basic and most important foundations you should follow, for a project, as how to build a collectible card game from scratch. This isn't about Yu-Gi-Oh!, this isn't where you make your stupid jokes, and it isn't about how 5D's can work in actual life. It's about how brotherofAnubis should go about making his own card game and what foundations he should follow.

Now, in his second post, brotherofAnubis clearly replied that he doesn't want jokes in this place. So, what the hell are you doing, if not wasting his time? Shut up and leave, or answer what he's looking for.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:24 pm
I love how I'm the only one that posts any helpful advice and I get ignored ._.  

Pheso

Dapper Capitalist

5,650 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200

B1g_crunch

Questionable Loiterer

8,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:02 pm
Pheso
I love how I'm the only one that posts any helpful advice and I get ignored ._.

And me.  
Domino City

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces