Isabelle
Captain

9,450 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:36 pm
Suuup y'all?

So, lately I've been kind of stressing about monies. I mean, normally I just scrape by with my crappy job searching for better ones...but now I'm slightly more worried than normal. It's...wedding savings time. For the amount of people we're inviting (thanks Will razz ), and the craptacular income...and the one year away-ish part...I'm taking a step back and looking at it like "Oh s**t."

I know there's a lot of ways to cut corners on costs of a wedding and all, but the sad thing is we're going to be limited for options doing it in Terrace. Fewer places to pick from for vendors/locations, and I'm concerned that they'll charge crazy amounts because there's little competition...but I guess we'll see on that one. I don't even know if my parents will be helping with the costs! My dad has said in the past that since they helped with school, I'm on my own for that which is fine by me...but Will is traditional and feels they should pay for stuff too since his parents will do whatever they can. Awkward times ahead!

Anywho, long story short - I need ideas for budgeting!
So far, I'm putting all my crappy tips from work in a jar and saving all my change in general. Over the past year or more, I've got almost 300 bucks saved in a box, woohoo!
I might restart etsy since I have a ton of supplies around the house, and I would just need to get mailing things. Any ideas on that front? I'm thinking of selling off originals that I've done over the past year and just haven't done anything with, like my Dawn of the Dead embroidery. Love them, but they're sadly sitting in a box collecting dust. gonk

What do you do when you need/want to save money for something?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:22 pm
B and I made a list of what we needed for the wedding and then what we wanted. The most expensive yet completely necessary thing is the wedding license. We were able to keep our wedding under $1000, thanks in part to family, but we would have been able to squeak by. We asked our friends to help out where they could, Naito did jewelery, photos, makeup and sanity heart heart heart Friends and family LOVE to help out with the little things of the wedding.
On a different not, are you guys thinking of a traditional ceremony or other?  

Arlyana

Isabelle
Captain

9,450 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:06 pm
Arlyana
B and I made a list of what we needed for the wedding and then what we wanted. The most expensive yet completely necessary thing is the wedding license. We were able to keep our wedding under $1000, thanks in part to family, but we would have been able to squeak by. We asked our friends to help out where they could, Naito did jewelery, photos, makeup and sanity heart heart heart Friends and family LOVE to help out with the little things of the wedding.
On a different not, are you guys thinking of a traditional ceremony or other?

That's a good idea! I've honestly been just thinking way too much about the small details (ie: "omg I could make cross-stitched table numbers1!!!1 - you know...stuff that is cute, but not needed 100%). We're at the one year three month mark if we get to keep our date...if there's no help at all, and no new jobs on either front, then we'll have to push it to 2013. So I'm seriously thinking of calling places up now to finally get a price range, and discussion started.

I did call my dad tonight and he was crazy vague. I think he said...hall fees maybe? It's frustrating to talk to him because he never gives a straight answer until the last possible second, which I can't tolerate on this. razz I'm hoping mom will be more enthusiastic about helping out, since she usually is but I really have no idea. sweatdrop

The pics of your wedding were awesome! Outdoors ftw! And the jewelry ala Naito heart How did you work that with food costs and whatnot?

We're kind of half and half for the traditional thing. Will is definitely the more traditional part of us, haha. If we don't have the funds, we're gonna have to buck on tradition but I think that pains him a bit. I'm just more excited to plan out reception details. A chance to be crafty, and play a ton of good music to dance to? Oh heck yes. xd  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:32 pm
D'awww Arly, you're so sweet! 4laugh heart

As I recall - I believe most of Arly's wedding food was potluck-ish /slash/ family contributions ? (I don't really remember the food part, and I doubt anyone really will at your wedding, either!) <3

You know! Instead of doing it in a hall or something, you could do was Lisa did, and get married at the Fields of Gold site! ( *rofl* ). It's super pretty, and the bonus is that Bill and Lisa already had a wedding there, so you could ask them how much their wedding cost, and for advice and such! (I'm sure they'd be more than willing to help out information-wise).

And really, I don't think the site would cost much (probably a small-ish donation).

If you were willing to have your wedding down near Hope, I'd have suggested the place Arly had her wedding at. GOOOOORGEOUS!

As for food - Rule #1: if you can avoid saying 'for a wedding' - that's USUALLY better (not always, but usually). As soon as people hear the word 'wedding' - prices start to rise.
I mean, seriously - as soon as you say 'Wedding Cake' the prices are INSANE compared to what you get.
'A large gathering' or 'for a party of [x] people' is often better.

Since you're a crafty beaver, start checking out DIY wedding sites/ideas

(Also - here, a fav. site of mine: http://offbeatbride.com/ <- they'd have things RIGHT up your ally! Start typing in random searches - there's some pretty awesome stuff on there ... such as: Bad-a** Boutonnieres my favourite is the very last one)

(Don't forget - whenever you get an idea for you wedding jewelry, let me know!) wink

If there's anything I can help you with - please let me know! biggrin heart  

Naito_Mitsukai
Crew

Naito_Mitsukai
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:34 pm
Also - http://www.theknot.com/ is another kick a** site that you might want to join! (membership is free! Tons of forums, tons of ideas, tons of other people to talk to about whatever wedding bits you need to talk about).  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:23 pm
Fields of Gold would be really nice, but it's a bit far out for guests and the famjam. I don't think everybody would be cool with camping out, lol. We're mostly going with the hall/church for the ceremony because Will's more traditional and both my grandma and his mom go to the same church so it'll be cheap as hell for members. We're pretty much set on doing it in Terrace.

Oh I've been searching many diy tutorials and blogs. xd It's probably the best part of this whole thing, haha. I really want to make these crepe paper flowers for table centerpieces because they're really pretty, and probably a fraction of the cost of a florist to do all that.

Offbeat bride is fun to snoop around! I just signed up for the knot, but I use project wedding more. I also like hi fi weddings because I'm a bit of a music nerd, so playlists are important to me. xd  

Isabelle
Captain

9,450 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Alchemy Level 2 100

Pixie_Moyra

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:55 am
EEEE.
im getting so excited for you!!!

If you need any help with something, Im still living in Kitimat.

When are you planning to have the wedding?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:41 am
Isabelle
Fields of Gold would be really nice, but it's a bit far out for guests and the famjam. I don't think everybody would be cool with camping out, lol. We're mostly going with the hall/church for the ceremony because Will's more traditional and both my grandma and his mom go to the same church so it'll be cheap as hell for members. We're pretty much set on doing it in Terrace.

Oh I've been searching many diy tutorials and blogs. xd It's probably the best part of this whole thing, haha. I really want to make these crepe paper flowers for table centerpieces because they're really pretty, and probably a fraction of the cost of a florist to do all that.

Offbeat bride is fun to snoop around! I just signed up for the knot, but I use project wedding more. I also like hi fi weddings because I'm a bit of a music nerd, so playlists are important to me. xd

Hah! Those DIY flowers are Brilliant!! And they look so nice!! And yeah - they would totally be a faction of the cost. Flowers are one of the most expensive things for a wedding!! >.< <3  

Naito_Mitsukai
Crew

Isabelle
Captain

9,450 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:04 pm
Pixie_Moyra
EEEE.
im getting so excited for you!!!

If you need any help with something, Im still living in Kitimat.

When are you planning to have the wedding?

Thanks! heart We're aiming for July 13th (a saturday), 2012.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:36 pm
Okay! YAY! Where to start???

Making your own flowers = OMG YES so so pretty and so affordable!!!! Plus you can make them well in advance it's not like they're going to wilt!! Bonus, any colours you want!

Best advice I can offer is to start calling about venues NOW. As I'm aware they book up fast and well in advance, so chop chop! ^_^

In terms of venue cost:

Expense A:
Ceremony Venue rental fee
*How pre-decorated is it/how much decorating would need to be done?
Reception Venue rental fee
Transportation costs from venue to venue

Expense B:
A Venue you can hold both the Ceremony AND the Reception at

Take the total cost of each and compare!  

Gemstone
Crew

7,250 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Gemstone
Crew

7,250 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:44 pm
Hubby and I eloped (I am NO GOOD at being the centre of attention!!) and then held a potluck to celebrate with close friends and family. We spent about $500 total ($100 of that was the marriage certificate) Mum and I made my dress, we lucked out and got the last of the bridal fabric on clearance -the store was renovating- so the fabric + zipper meant my wedding dress cost me $17. lol I wore a necklace hubby had given me, earrings that went with it, and the GORGEOUS bracelet our lovely Naito made for me! I pulled my hair back and stuck some dried babys breath flowers in it. I was going to make the cake (you know my love of cake decorating) but then my father in law insisted! (he's amazing!) He made a beautiful cake heart We rented an outdoor sheltered venue by the ocean for $50 for the day, got some plain, softly coloured table cloths from the dollar store to cover the picnic benches that came with the venue, and everyone brought tons of food on top of what we bought.

Now Em, my lovely Em, THE biggest piece of advice I can give you, is if you aren't shelling out ten grand for a wedding planner, and you're doing it yourself, is to get yourself a cheap journal you can write it all down in, and do AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE ahead of time. My husband and I did the bare minimum but I still look back on it all and remember stress over anything else. Mostly because I'm a control freak, but still. Stress.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:03 pm
Organizing and planning your own wedding, advice from Gemmy's memory. Please note, I know you likely have already read this stuff on the websites you've joined, I'm just bouncing around and testing my memory!

1. Like Arly said, make a list!! Sit down with Will and discuss what you want out of your wedding.

2. Make/go over your guest list, be thorough! Will you be printing your own out or ordering some pre-templated ones to be printed? Don't forget when you make the invitations to very clearly state RSVP by _____ date! People are bad at RSVP'ing too, so you can always print something like "in order to reserve a seat" after the RSVP by date to encourage them to remember you DO need to know!

3. Pick a venue (or venues) and start making phonecalls, it is NEVER too early to do this! The earlier, the better! Don't be afraid to shop around and price things out, that's why you're doing it with tons of time to spare, you'll get something you want for the best price you can. Make sure you factor in how many people you are inviting and be prepared for ALL of them to show! Often not everyone can make it, but how many "funny" stories have there been about under-estimating the turnout

4. Choose your theme/colour scheme! Is the venue/are the venues pre-decorated? Are you decorating yourself? Do you want a themed wedding? What colours are you going to use? It may seem early but once you know what you want you can get started bargain shopping or making all the little things like Wedding Favours or any non-perishable centrepieces. What better than to offer yourself plenty of time to price shop/look for sales/get crafty!

5. Your 'garb' ! Will you make your dress? Buy a used gown? Buy a brand new one you find at a Warehouse Price? Will your Bridesmaids be told to simply wear a dress of a particular colour or will you be searching out entirely matching dresses? Hair. Professionally done or DIY? Family member? Same goes for your makeup! What shoes will you wear? They need to be venue appropriate obviously, and if you're dancing you want to factor that in! Will your beau be renting a Tux or buying one? (I would take it no theme since you said he likes tradition) What about the male members of the wedding party, rent as well? My co-worker picked out the bridesmaids dresses and had them purchase them themselves, and then told them to wear a particular colour of dress shoes. She then gave them matching high-end cubic zarconia heart necklaces at the reception to express her appreciation.

6. FOOD! Potluck? Catering? Included with the venue? Buffet? Don't forget about diabetics when it comes to beverages and offer more than one main course if you go the meal route in case of guest allergies. My co-worker did a buffet table with a variety of choices, and for the desert she rented this huge chocolate fondue fountain and provided a bunch of (catered) chopped up fruits to dip in it via self-serve buffet.

7. The cake! This is such a big fuss it gets it's own number, instead of being lumped in with the rest of the food. xd Cakes aren't part of the catering (as far as I've seen) you want to check out a Bakery that deals in special cakes, or if you're lucky and you know someone then see if they're willing! A wedding cake can EASILY cost $500 and I've heard of people spending $5,000. Because they are crazy. Regardless, that sucker is expensive so don't be afraid to shop around just like with the venue(s)!

8. Music! Are you planning on having dancing during your reception? Couple's First Dance? Daddy-Daughter Dance? For during the ceremony is it included with your venue? If you're providing your own start making a list of what you want for your ceremony and for your reception. DJ? Friend? An iPod plugged into the speaker system of your venue? An iPod plugged into a speaker system you have to provide yourself?

9. PHOTOS! (yes Naito, photos. blaugh heart ) When it comes down to it, all you have left a few years later is memories, both in your head and in your Wedding Album. If there's ANYTHING I wouldn't go without it's a photographer. I have close family friends who STILL haven't given me copies of my wedding celebration, even though they assured me they would, and I got married THREE YEARS AGO. ~facepalm~ Don't, I repeat DO NOT rely solely on your guests to document the event for you. Get someone who knows what they're doing and who works for you. Someone who will show you as many samples of their work as you want ahead of time, and who will include the cost of finishing the photos (removing red-eye, etc). Make sure he/she doesn't charge per picture taken, but per picture received (some would cheat you out of money buy charging you for the pics that turned out blurry, or where someone blinked!) Some professional photographers will not print the pics, just give you a data disc copy of the images, be sure to check with them which they offer.

10. Check your list all the time, cross as much off it as possible as early as possible. By that I mean book your venue(s), find/decide on your dress/colour scheme/theme, book your photographer, your DJ, your caterer, your cake maker. The more you have already set in place months in advance the more time you'll have left to think of stuff you forgot, the more time you'll have to craft yourself some centrepieces, etc.

I are so sleepy now, I think that's all the stuff I think I can think of right now. I think. xd  

Gemstone
Crew

7,250 Points
  • Elocutionist 200

Isabelle
Captain

9,450 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:22 am
Gemstone
Okay! YAY! Where to start???

Making your own flowers = OMG YES so so pretty and so affordable!!!! Plus you can make them well in advance it's not like they're going to wilt!! Bonus, any colours you want!

Best advice I can offer is to start calling about venues NOW. As I'm aware they book up fast and well in advance, so chop chop! ^_^

In terms of venue cost:

Expense A:
Ceremony Venue rental fee
Reception Venue rental fee
Transportation costs from venue to venue

Expense B:
A Venue you can hold both the Ceremony AND the Reception at

Take the total cost of each and compare!

We just called the Skeena Valley Golf Course in Terrace, which is what we were pretty much set on from the start because it's in a pretty spot and has included catering from a pro chef. He told us $500 for the night (which is 3 times less than what people ask in Vancouver, that's for sure! razz ), then starting at $25/a plate. He said we could do it all there, like an outdoor ceremony then the reception indoors, but I think we're just going to go with the traditional church. We get to decorate it however we want, and they do the set-up and take-down of tables and whatnot.

Speaking of transportation, I'm excited to use google maps to make invite maps! xd

Guuurl you are the bringing of awesome info! haha.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:43 am
Gemstone
Hubby and I eloped (I am NO GOOD at being the centre of attention!!) and then held a potluck to celebrate with close friends and family. We spent about $500 total ($100 of that was the marriage certificate) Mum and I made my dress, we lucked out and got the last of the bridal fabric on clearance -the store was renovating- so the fabric + zipper meant my wedding dress cost me $17. lol I wore a necklace hubby had given me, earrings that went with it, and the GORGEOUS bracelet our lovely Naito made for me! I pulled my hair back and stuck some dried babys breath flowers in it. I was going to make the cake (you know my love of cake decorating) but then my father in law insisted! (he's amazing!) He made a beautiful cake heart We rented an outdoor sheltered venue by the ocean for $50 for the day, got some plain, softly coloured table cloths from the dollar store to cover the picnic benches that came with the venue, and everyone brought tons of food on top of what we bought.

Now Em, my lovely Em, THE biggest piece of advice I can give you, is if you aren't shelling out ten grand for a wedding planner, and you're doing it yourself, is to get yourself a cheap journal you can write it all down in, and do AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE ahead of time. My husband and I did the bare minimum but I still look back on it all and remember stress over anything else. Mostly because I'm a control freak, but still. Stress.

The pictures I saw of your wedding on facebook looked awesome! So much fun when outdoors and weather cooperates! xd heart A potluck sounds wicked. Will's family has volunteered to do a BBQ style rehearsal dinner at their place the night before, which I think is going to be a blast and his dad can really do a mean BBQ salmon while his mom and aunt are awesome at planning for feeding a lot of people.

I've got a school binder converted into a planner complete with white pages to paste pictures into, and lined to take notes. It's fun to plan, and so far not a lot of stress besides wishy-washy family. =P  

Isabelle
Captain

9,450 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Alchemy Level 2 100

Isabelle
Captain

9,450 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:48 am
So I've been kinda excited to try out that paper flower making method and here's what I made so far...
User Image
Will's totally on board with those colours, and even suggested the red. xd I was "eeeh" about red at first but now I love the way it pops out. The tissue paper flower cost is around 15 max - 5 for the different colours, 2 for the floral wire, 4 for the floral tape, and I already had the beads around the house. I just bought a small vase for them which was 4 bucks at the dollar store... so 4 x 20 tables or so is 100 dollars or so for all tables. I might tie a ribbon around the vase to make it more jazzed up, or get personalized monogram stickers.
It kind of matches with a colour board I found on 100 layer cake.
User Image
Now I want to do those colours. xd Yay carnivals!  
Poll Jumpers Anonymous

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff