Are you Wiccan, Pagan or other?
  Wiccan
  Pagan
  Other
View Results

Happedol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:55 am
Witchcraft, Wicca, and Fluffy Bunnies.

I assume most of you know what Wicca and Witchcraft is. I wouldn't be able to form an accurate definition of it myself anyway, but I'll try when someone asks for it. (I've been interested in the subject and read quite a lot about it for a few years, but I wouldn't call myself an expert, not at all.)

As you also may know , there's this thing called Fluffy Bunnyism. So what is Fluffy Bunnyism actually? There's two words that describe it the best: Wilfully ignorant. Fluffy Bunny is a term used for a person who is, as I said, wilfully ignorant, a blind believer, stubborn in accepting incorrect information as correct, doesn't study the religion/subject they're interested in, act like a victimized witch,...etc. I think you more or less got the idea.

During my 'wiccan' years, or as I prefer to call it ,'Pagan' years ( I was also interested in Druidism,although I don't really like to use that term anymore.) I spend a lot of time making websites to inform people 'correctly' about Wicca, Paganism and witchcraft. Although I'm sure I made some(alot) mistakes too. I thought of myself of a crusader against Fluffy bunnyism, but I'm pretty sure I was one myself.

These people called Fluffy Bunnies seem to be widely spread, especially on the internet. But not only teenage girls fall under this term: Also adult writers,for example, the most widely known fluffy bunny: Silver Raven Wolf.

Unlike popular belief, in Wicca, you can't just believe in the gods you choose (Like I've seen people claiming to be Wiccan and believing in Egyptian Gods.), you must believe in reincarnation, and yes, Wicca is a fertility religion. It is also about nature, but it is Fertility-based.

I'm sure most people won't agree with me, but I see it as a fact that you need to be a priest/priestess to actually call yourself Wiccan. So, you must be at least 18.

I know most of you probably won't agree with this. But like any other religion, Wicca has 'rules.' Without these rules, it could not be called Wiccan. Ofcourse you can incorporate Wiccan beliefs into your own, but that doesn't make it Wiccan.

Now people, Discuss:

Witchcraft and Wicca
The Term "fluffy bunny"
Misconceptions about this religion
Qualifications to be called Wiccan.

More on this subject here: Wiccan FAQ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:03 pm
I'm a panthiestic pagan.

Most pagan beliefs are not exclusionary the Christianty is. That is to say, a follower of the Morrigan could still aknowledge the existence of other deities but choses devotion to the Morrigan.

I attend a Shinto temple for Izuchi no Mikoto Okami, but that does not preculde the acceptace of other deities by any means. Most of the jinja (congregation) attend other temples as well- other Shiton temples, Shinjo Buddhist temples, or Buddhist temples. There is no conflict of belief.

The Fluffy Bunnies (also known as Sheep or Cattle) are both amusing and maddening. I both sigh and laugh at the "witches" that think all spell need rhyming incntaion after watching Charmed and the Christians that don't read the Bible. All those Christians wearing cloth of two different fibers unknowingly doomed....

My reading of wiccan have shown that to become a priest or priestess invovle a dedication ritual which can be perfomed in a group or as a solitary practioner and can be done at an age of maturity- generally accepted as 16. My Aunt had been a Wiccan priestess and had much to share.

I must make note of your use of the word "cult." As my Mythology and History of God proffesor put it: the only difference between a "religion" and a "cult" is the mentality of "us and "them"  

kittycross

Shameless Phantom

11,900 Points
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Happedol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:50 pm
Sorry for my use of the word 'cult', I'm a bit at fault here, since I've seen the word' cult' being used for the Wiccan religion in a neutral manner. I don't know the exact definition of cult, I should have looked that up first before using it.

I thought that most of the time, the age of maturity was considered 18.

The Fluffy Bunnies both irritate and scare me. They frighten me because it's so easy to become one,with all the incorrect information spread around. How can a beginner separate the correct information from the incorrect? And having someone who guides you isn't good either most of the time. Beginners trust their guide and are so convinced that they're right, they won't differentiate between what's true and what not.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:39 pm
The problem with this particular subject is that many people don't know what their reading on the subject. Several authors publish book on "Wicca" but in actuality it's just several adaptations of Neo-paganism.
The majority of Wiccans I do know are very secretive about what they do. I'm sure you won't be able to walk out and find a book on what actually goes on when the religion is practiced anyway.
There will be fluffy bunnies everywhere in this world. You can chose to fall in with them or ignore them.
Also, calling a Wicca a "Sex cultist" is extremely offensive, which is what you seem to be implying with your statement.

the anti-authority

7,575 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Trader 100

Happedol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:46 am
I already explained that I did not mean to call it a cult ( as explained in a previous post.) I used the word 'sex' , because fertility is about reproduction. Some 'Wiccans' insist that 'it's about nature , that's the most important thing.' True, it's also about nature, but Fertility in the first place. I know the use of the sentence 'it revolves around sex' is rather rude, but I wanted to get the point across. I would never use the word "sex cultist."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:56 am
One of the things I hate most is a lot of people think that Wicca or Paganism is devil worship. I really hate that. Or when people think that the pentagram is an 'evil' symbol.  

ShePotterGleek

2,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100

Happedol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:10 am
Indeed. I once read a website about a man who said that Wiccans only say they don't worship Satan, because they don't realise they are actually worshipping something evil. Or some bullcrap like that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:36 am
Fertility is important in Wicca because it's part of nature, as is death but it is by no means a death cult
The Maiden, the Mother and the Crone are all equally important in the Holy Trinity.

:3  

kittycross

Shameless Phantom

11,900 Points
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Questionable Saint

Questionable Saint

18,015 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:25 pm
User Image User Image User Image

Axis Powers

I don't practice Wiccan, and I'm not incredibly formed through experience, but I do study it, along with other Pagan beliefs. This is simply because I take an interest in Wicca, aromatherapy, necromancy, and alchemy.
My information may be limited, but the book I've been reading, which is written by a high Priestess, says you can have any god or goddess you wish represent the lord and lady, as long as they are from the same place. Such as, you may wish to picture Aphrodite as the Lady, and Zeus as the lord.
I don't know if this is true, it's simply from the text.
The religion is partly based on fertility, but all religions have some base in fertility, the Crone, and Maiden as Kitty-san has said, also play an important role, and the Lord plays a very large role as well.
In the ritual the union of the lord and lady is represented, by dipping the Athan(sp?) into the glass of wine, but the elements are also summoned.
Wicca has also advanced to modern times, as we type you can tell it is far more open, an increase in covens and solitary witches show that the religion has changed quite a bit. And thinking that it's mostly been kept to hiding, it is possible, that the same thing we call 'Wiccan' in one place, may be something else in another. It's possibly that in Europe, where my book is basically from, is completely different than what a coven might consider Wiccan, or a Hereditary Witch might consider 'Wiccan' somewhere else.
This is the true issue with trying to judge 'misconceptions' we don't know how different the beliefs are in other places. It's also probably the most common spawn of such people as these 'bunnies' in in such case, even the most knowledgeable high priestess or researcher might be labeled this.

But like I said, I really know very little in ways of experience. And I'm certainly no expert sociologist. I do not play with the deities to satisfy my confusion, rather dismiss them might I work such problems by myself. My ideals are very scattered due to this though.

ℋєтαℓια

User Image User Image User Image

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:44 pm
I think you meant the Athame ^^

And I myself am certainly not an expert either, since I'm not wiccan myself. But here in Belgium, I see the term misused quite a lot. Almost all the time. (I think it has something to do with a lot of incorrect information, and as a beginner, it's really hard to differentiate between what's correct and what's not.) For example, I once encountered a website of a lady who said all wiccans must have a cat.

I'm of the opinion that all religions have a core. For example, Christianity: Jesus plays a very important role in that. If you do not include Jesus in your religion, you cannot call yourself Christian, you'll be needing another word for that. The same is with Wicca, only with more 'core elements'. Such as believing in the God and Goddess and being initiated according to lineaged tradition. Replacing those gods would seem odd to me, because you're pulling gods from a totally different pantheon into your beliefs.You're pulling them out of their cultural context.

Happedol

Emo Pankakes

Gracious Gekko

11,500 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:47 pm
I don't really fit into any religious category as far as I'm concerned. I just believe in some kind of reincarnation, but the whole idea of witchcraft is really fascinating to me (:  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:08 pm
I'm intersted in learning about all religions. Actually, I don't ant to try any, as I'm not planning on practicing any.

However, can I be a bunny for the plain love of bunnies?  

RosesFallingLikeRain

Desirable Businesswoman

11,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Full closet 200

2A30128

Shameless Heckler

12,000 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:01 pm
I wrote the many things that I wished for on the corner of a note
As the door was closed, and could not be opened at all

I'm atheist, but I do take some interest in religion. Not much, but to a point.
I live in the Bible Belt, so most are Christian. I've seen one Catholic church. No mosques or synagogues.
So the "Fluffy Bunnyism" I've seen is with Christians. Including those who've believed their whole life.
They wear bi-material clothes, eat shellfish, pork, and bread, and probably don't perform the sex rituals.
At the same time, they hate on abortion, homosexuality and pre-marital sex and those who partake in it.
All while learning Jesus loves you and everyone and that they should turn the other cheek.
I don't get it. If the Bible is your law, read the whole thing and follow it, not just parts. :/

Eventually I was left alone, unable to understand the ways of adults
As I thought, the world is still unchanged today

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:48 pm
allright, I'm going to do a really bad thing and stray away from the OP for a second and just answer what I think of the post before me....
I don't know what you mean by 'the Bible belt....' not a term I'm familiar with. But about the bible--I believe that when Jesus died and rose again, he pretty much changed the whole system--the Old Testament tells nothing about forgivness, which was what Jesus came down to earth to make possible--I think the common idea is that OT rules and laws are still good ideas and valid (and if you want to do something interesting, look back on them all and try and think why they were there--seriously, everything listed there makes so much sense with what we know now!), but our relationship and interactions with God are just a in a completely different form now!
But yes, everyone makes mistakes. I'm Christian, and I have to say I do so much wrong every day--I think that a lot of people get caught up in trying to let others know that what they're doing is wrong (pre-maritial sex, homosexuality), that they totally get loose, or don't know where to incorporate, the 'love your neighbour.' And I guess it's scary because as much as God loves you--and that's a lot, this is still your one chances, and the reality is that if we don't find him here, then there's no other chances beyond this point.
And what I can kinda add to the discussion is that the 'wiccans and witches are devil worshippers even if they just think they're worshipping some amazing power out there' would be a Christian belief! And so I don't get totally bashed I'm going to keep my opinion to myself on this point!! wink  

viper_353

Ravynne Sidhe

8,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:05 pm
viper_353
allright, I'm going to do a really bad thing and stray away from the OP for a second and just answer what I think of the post before me....
I don't know what you mean by 'the Bible belt....' not a term I'm familiar with. But about the bible--I believe that when Jesus died and rose again, he pretty much changed the whole system--the Old Testament tells nothing about forgivness, which was what Jesus came down to earth to make possible--I think the common idea is that OT rules and laws are still good ideas and valid (and if you want to do something interesting, look back on them all and try and think why they were there--seriously, everything listed there makes so much sense with what we know now!), but our relationship and interactions with God are just a in a completely different form now!
But yes, everyone makes mistakes. I'm Christian, and I have to say I do so much wrong every day--I think that a lot of people get caught up in trying to let others know that what they're doing is wrong (pre-maritial sex, homosexuality), that they totally get loose, or don't know where to incorporate, the 'love your neighbour.' And I guess it's scary because as much as God loves you--and that's a lot, this is still your one chances, and the reality is that if we don't find him here, then there's no other chances beyond this point.
And what I can kinda add to the discussion is that the 'wiccans and witches are devil worshippers even if they just think they're worshipping some amazing power out there' would be a Christian belief! And so I don't get totally bashed I'm going to keep my opinion to myself on this point!! wink
`Though thy crest be shorn and shaven, thou,' I said, `art sure no craven.
Ghastly grim and ancient raven wandering from the nightly shore -

The Bible Belt refers to a group of states in the South that are predominantly Christian.

Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night's Plutonian shore!'
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

It's A Girl Thing!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas