Welcome to Gaia! ::

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duellists of Gaia

Back to Guilds

YDoG is an all TCG guild for all duellists. We also cover the entire Yu-Gi-Oh! games, shows, manga and RPG. 

Tags: Yugioh, Tournament, Duel, Trading Card Game, Anime 

Reply Domino City
Starting to hate this game... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hizuma the Troublesome

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:06 pm
Rant time scream

I've been playing this game off and on since it came out in the US. Since around the time of IOC I have oticed a decline in the fun of the game as most people rush to copy everyone else's decks. Now it has come down to two choices:

1. Play Meta. Sure you win, but the fun of making a unique deck and the enjoyment of the game disappears, as it basically comes down to "first one to draw so-and-so-card wins."

or...

2. Play for fun. You get the fun of the game, but at the cost of winning MAYBE 1 or 2 games every hundred you play. Not to mention the ridicule of being called a noob.

So...yea. Feel free to rip or gripe at this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:37 pm
Too many people forget that this is a game. Try to find a few people who play for fun and have fun duels. Me, Axe, Zero, etc do that often.  

Jevan R. H. Divinitive
Crew

Legendary MoonFolk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:39 pm
After Playing Yu-Gi-Oh oh most non stop, To me playing for fun would be better on your part, but honestly use one meta deck for Tournaments ,competitive play ect. but all so have a nether deck to call your own for game play with friends or frendly duels with others .

( This is what I do )

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:33 pm
Well I am seeing a third option.....

Anti-Meta Come to the side of grave-keepers, stun, removal and many more. Where we exist purely to counteract the current meta's strategy.  

Dethclock

6,200 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Contributor 150

sky_rider19

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:01 pm
I can never make a meta deck with the way I build decks and the fact that I have no tournament near me so I just have some fun decks with one that can be considered anti-meta.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:21 pm
I won't rip or gripe, but here's my take on it:

How many people do you actually play with?
How many times do you actually go to tournaments (locals/regionals/etc.)?
How many of the people you play with follow the meta ritualistically?
Last but not least, have you tried constructing 2 different decks?

I play with 2 people at home: My brother and my sister's BF.
I go to tourneys once in a blue moon.
Both people that I play with have decks that don't really stand a chance against meta.
And I have Multiple Decks. For Meta purposes, I have my Infernities, and maybe my GladBeasts if I ever try to update them. For fun purposes, I use Flamvell synchro, and I have a Spellcaster deck which sucks a** compared to the meta but it's a hell of a lot of fun to play.

The point is, try to make a decision on what you do, and, when in doubt, build another deck. That way, when the going gets tough, you get tough back. And when you wanna jerk around with some friends and just throw down for shits and giggles, you have the option.

The point of the game is to try and win, but that doesn't mean you can't have fun even when you lose.  

Aka_Saiyaku

6,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Person of Interest 200

Tsukinoki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:33 pm
Well then, build a unique deck that kills meta decks (but are not considered anti-meta) and when people start to copy that, make a deck to kill that deck and continue the cycle.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:54 pm
Aka_Saiyaku

Both people that I play with have decks that don't really stand a chance against meta.
And I have Multiple Decks. For Meta purposes, I have my Infernities, and maybe my GladBeasts if I ever try to update them. For fun purposes, I use Flamvell synchro, and I have a Spellcaster deck which sucks a** compared to the meta but it's a hell of a lot of fun to play.

The point is, try to make a decision on what you do, and, when in doubt, build another deck. That way, when the going gets tough, you get tough back. And when you wanna jerk around with some friends and just throw down for shits and giggles, you have the option.

The point of the game is to try and win, but that doesn't mean you can't have fun even when you lose.

In order:
IRL I play regularly against 11 or12 people. On Yugiohnetwork I play against several more.
Tournaments: Once in a blue moon
Of the ones I play with, 5 or 6 play Meta religiously, while another makes the latest Meta deck, but only plays it at tournaments. On YN about 2/3 play Meta
And at any given time I have 3 decks, plus my Traditional deck for k&g.

I cannot afford to make a Meta deck, because I kinda live on my own and have bills and such to pay. Right now I have Batterymen, Gravekeepers almost finished, and Cyberdarks. None of these has went more than 3 wins in a 5 Round tournament, and only once have I gotten top 8 by a fluke.

And its kind of hard to have fun when you're looked down upon for not playing Meta/Anti-meta. When I win, which is rare, they usually get mad and break out another deck and whoop me. And when I lose they berate me for not playing suchandsuch and soandso.

Hizuma the Troublesome

Aka_Saiyaku

6,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:55 pm
Hizuma the Troublesome
Aka_Saiyaku

In order:
IRL I play regularly against 11 or12 people. On Yugiohnetwork I play against several more.
Tournaments: Once in a blue moon
Of the ones I play with, 5 or 6 play Meta religiously, while another makes the latest Meta deck, but only plays it at tournaments. On YN about 2/3 play Meta
And at any given time I have 3 decks, plus my Traditional deck for k&g.

I cannot afford to make a Meta deck, because I kinda live on my own and have bills and such to pay. Right now I have Batterymen, Gravekeepers almost finished, and Cyberdarks. None of these has went more than 3 wins in a 5 Round tournament, and only once have I gotten top 8 by a fluke.

And its kind of hard to have fun when you're looked down upon for not playing Meta/Anti-meta. When I win, which is rare, they usually get mad and break out another deck and whoop me. And when I lose they berate me for not playing suchandsuch and soandso.

Well, then I guess it come's down to sticks and stones. You need to be comfortable with yourself and your deck, and if you can do that, it doesn't matter what others say about you. you're still a duelist  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:22 pm
I play decks that I find to be fun. Yeah, they're tooled to include various staple cards such as Lightning Vortex, Brain Control, and (arguably) Dark Bribe, but they're in no way Meta and they typically have a 60/40 Win/Loss Ratio. Admittedly, it tends to lose against meta, but there have been times where it's actually beaten Blackwings, Lightsworn, and Gladiator Beasts. It depends in the quality of the deck as well as the concept. While it doesn't have to be meta at all, there is a level of quality that you should abide if you want to win with a fun deck.

However, if you're looking for a deck that wins more than half the time, you're gonna have to do the research, find a deck that you find fun to play, then you have to tinker with it so that it plays as smoothly as possible.

That being said, there are a ton of archetypes out there that are all but untouched, and even sub-archetypes of those archetypes and sub-sub-archetypes below that! You have to make sure to specialize as much as possible while still having the breathing room to be able to build a deck out of it.

Take Elemental Heroes for example. They've come a LOONG way since Cybernetic Revolution. There are so many different forms of it now! Destiny Heroes, Evil Heroes, Neo-Spacians, WATER Elemental Heroes, FIRE Elemental Heroes, Neos Wiseman-based... all from a single archetype.

There are too many decks to try to be discouraged so quickly! A deck is like a clockwork machine. Obviously, if all of the parts match, the deck typically works well enough. Then you add in some enhancement parts, like a battery or an added function. Sure, you can just stack it all in the frame and hope it'll fit, but it won't run as smoothly if you cram a lot of stuff in there, so you may have to take things out. However, replace the wrong pieces and the entire machine could slow down or stop working entirely!

We the deckbuilders are engineers of another sort. We build the decks, we test the decks, we fine-tune the decks to run at optimum capacity, then we unleash our decks upon the world to duel with! We also help the up-and-coming deckbuilders troubleshoot and figure out what's wrong, which requires patience from both parties involved.

Now I'll say this. If you do not have the patience to build your own deck and fine-tune it enough so that it can at least hold its own in a legitimate game, you should not be playing this game. However, if you believe you can persevere through the frustrations or even swallow your pride and ask another for assistance, then you'll find this game to be much more rewarding than it seems to be.  

Legendary Pirate Plasma

2,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Statustician 100

Tempest Soul 343

Conservative Mage

7,550 Points
  • Battle: KO 200
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:51 pm
Personally, I've kind of just resigned myself to the fact that I will never really be able to justify spending all that money on a card game to build a Meta/Anti-Meta deck. I'll buy random packs, hunt for cards for my decks, and build a deck out of some theme just 'cause I think it's cool, but I can't spend eons of time on this. Besides, I never really liked how everyone seems to use the same 3 decks with only minor variations at tournaments. I mean really, what's the point of releasing all the other cards if all people are going to play are the Meta cards?

(The one exception: I recently pulled a Drill Warrior, and since then I've taken the time and effort to build a deck around him, sort of a Yusei-style, I guess. It's become one of my favorites, but I still enjoy playing with a variety of decks and strategies. Ah, Endymion... blaugh )  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:00 pm
link343
Personally, I've kind of just resigned myself to the fact that I will never really be able to justify spending all that money on a card game to build a Meta/Anti-Meta deck. I'll buy random packs, hunt for cards for my decks, and build a deck out of some theme just 'cause I think it's cool, but I can't spend eons of time on this. Besides, I never really liked how everyone seems to use the same 3 decks with only minor variations at tournaments. I mean really, what's the point of releasing all the other cards if all people are going to play are the Meta cards?

Thank you for not being a conformist.  

Legendary Pirate Plasma

2,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Statustician 100

Boxxy 110

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:14 pm
Hizuma the Troublesome
Rant time scream

I've been playing this game off and on since it came out in the US. Since around the time of IOC I have oticed a decline in the fun of the game as most people rush to copy everyone else's decks. Now it has come down to two choices:

1. Play Meta. Sure you win, but the fun of making a unique deck and the enjoyment of the game disappears, as it basically comes down to "first one to draw so-and-so-card wins."

or...

2. Play for fun. You get the fun of the game, but at the cost of winning MAYBE 1 or 2 games every hundred you play. Not to mention the ridicule of being called a noob.

So...yea. Feel free to rip or gripe at this.

@1 wrong. there's plenty of creativity. it's called tech. and No it's down to who's a better player and who has more skill

2. just don't play in big events or locals and play with your friends and you'll be ok.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:03 pm
Hizuma the Troublesome
Most of the time at my place people don't berate someone's deck unless it's a pile. For the most part, at least with me, when I have deck trouble or someone else has deck trouble I suggest things or point them out to one of the other guys.

I say steer clear from the people who belittle you for being different. They aren't worth your time. If you play them, just play your best then don't stick around after the game's over. Always works for me.  

brotherofAnubus

Dangerous Survivor

Legendary Pirate Plasma

2,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:37 am
Hizuma the Troublesome

You need to quit playing against whiny metatards and find legitimately intelligent people to play against.  
Domino City

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff