Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Ankh = Wiccan Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WTF?!
  Exactally!
View Results

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:16 pm
What the crap is wrong with you!?

So today my mom turns to me and tells me that she heard the Ankh is Wiccan... I freaked a little and lectured her about the Ankh being the Egyptian symbol for immortality. I asked her who told her that. She told me that my brother was talking to a tattoo artist and the artist said that the Ankh is Wiccan. I have an Ankh on my ankle, this is why I freaked a little. I love my Ankh. And yes I am capitalizing it because my pantheon is Egyptian. I can't believe that a tattoo artist could be so stupid. And I can't believe my brother and mom are so stupid. I should school them on how I am not Wiccan and probably will never be because I can not find a coven and I don't really follow Wiccan beliefs. Oh, she would flip if I told her I was Neo-pagan and respected the Egyptian gods and goddesses.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:38 pm
Thats just how people are :3  

Daearen

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:42 pm
Yep. Don't you know that anything that isn't a cross is a Wikkens symbol. All Pegens are Wikkens and they all worship the great Ghoddess and ******** trees. 3nodding

/sarcasm  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:47 pm
Charming, Robbie xd

Ignorance. *tut tut* So little as can be done. Still, a good rant and you'll feel better for it.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:17 pm
I feel it might be worth noting that some ritual items used by Wiccans include additional symbols imprinted upon them.

I am afraid that I cannot recollect where or if I have seen an ankh used amongst these. In that sense, it may be true that the Ankh is a Wiccan symbol, even if it's origins are not in Wicca and it would explain the misconception.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:42 pm
Being used by Wiccans doesn't make it a Wiccan symbol. Some Wiccans use Runes, iirc, but if you are suggesting that makes them Wiccan also I will have to disagree with extreme prejudice, that is, with an axe.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:13 am
I’ll erase this feeling…
I still have a long life don’t I?
kono omoi wo keshiteshimau ni ha
mada jinsei nagai deshou?
The ankh was used by ancient Egyptians and is still used by Kemetic recons today. I've seen a few neo-pagans use them. And I know an old Christian friend likes to wear one. But they are not solely a Wiccan object or tool.
I’m missing the feeling…
so this pain is also welcomed!
natsukashiku naru
konna itami mo kangeijan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:42 am
I'm so glad there are some intellegent people on here =^_^= I seriously want to leave my Wiccan book on my mom's bed so she can read and see what Wicca is about. I think I'm going to leave my Book of Symbols on her bed though, opened to the page with the Ankh... I work so I'll be gone when she gets back home XD  

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Bad Quality Serena

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:00 am
there are alot of people like that.
i get asked if my pentacle is the star of david atleast twice a week.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:06 am
I love that... I feel like asking the people if they can count. But that would be a little too uncalled for so I just tell them no. My Jewish friend always wears a star of David. I want to ask her is people ask if it is a pentacle XD  

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:09 am
Xx_Serena-Hime_xX
there are alot of people like that.
i get asked if my pentacle is the star of david atleast twice a week.
If they are a Christian teach them something new about the history of their religion and tell them it's the pentagram and represents the five wounds of Christ. It's throws them so off when they find out that was actually a meaning once associated with the pentagram.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:10 am
I am sorry but I just see that as general ignorance (no offense to your mother & brother). My friend keeps asking if my star of david necklace (not jewish nor was jewish...was given to me by my jewish aunt) is a pagan symbol and though i am pagan I must always explain to her otherwise. I guess some people just believe everything they hear without a second thought.  

bobkitty1123

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:56 pm
bobkitty1123
I am sorry but I just see that as general ignorance (no offense to your mother & brother). My friend keeps asking if my star of david necklace (not jewish nor was jewish...was given to me by my jewish aunt) is a pagan symbol and though i am pagan I must always explain to her otherwise. I guess some people just believe everything they hear without a second thought.

Oh, no. I'ts fine. They are ignorant. I can't stand when my mom mixes ignorant and rude. They mean two different things. But if you call her out on it she will bite your head off.

So I left the book on her bed and bookmarked the pages I wanted her to read. When I got home her attitude was a good bit different. I expected to find the book thrown on my floor, but it was still in her room until a few minutes ago. And she put it on my bed. The really weird thing is that she has an opal that she will not wear. She heard that if opal is not your birthstone that it is bad luck. She wore it twice and bad things happened both days. So I clensed it and put it back in her jewelry box and asked if she would wear it. She said no. I didn't tell her I clensed it because I know the look I will get if I do. But it's like she believes in witchcraft, but is in denial because she was raised Catholic. But that's for another thread.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:39 pm
I've an ankh that I wore for most of my middle school and high school life. I've been depressed for a very long time, and was very suicidal in middle school. It was my little reminder to live.
I got asked about it a few times, asked what it means and if it's related to witchcraft. No, it's just the egyptian symbol for life, nothing related to witchcraft.

Just because he's tattooing it, doesn't mean he knows what it means. Or else people wouldn't get chinese characters meaning fartface thinking they mean beauty.  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:51 am
kage no neko
I've an ankh that I wore for most of my middle school and high school life. I've been depressed for a very long time, and was very suicidal in middle school. It was my little reminder to live.
I got asked about it a few times, asked what it means and if it's related to witchcraft. No, it's just the egyptian symbol for life, nothing related to witchcraft.

Just because he's tattooing it, doesn't mean he knows what it means. Or else people wouldn't get chinese characters meaning fartface thinking they mean beauty.

I know! I see a bunch of people with them. I really want to ask "Do you really know what that means?" For all they know the artist could have gotten his signs messed up and could have swapped ugly for beauty. I like my Latin. I have studied it and I will write and translate my own sayings. I can't wait to get my Semper Fidelis on my foot.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games