• Guildmember 100

Fallenarchangel999

Eloquent Conversationalist

6,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:17 pm
In the real world I can understand worries abotu smoking, but online? Seriously, who could it hurt?  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:57 pm
well your computer could get cancer DUH! and dont even get me started on the side effects it could have on the avatars around you!  

Colm47

Life Hath Immortality

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:11 pm
You're right. Second hand smoking can give you lung cancer! My avi would be coughing like crazy!  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:38 pm
Good thing I've got three.  

The Jesus Bot

Defender_Of_Earth_Rose

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:53 pm
AH STOP ******** COMPLAINING! GOD IT'S SOOOO ANNOYING! scream  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:16 pm
Defender_Of_Earth_Rose

not nearly as annoying as screaming at everyone in my guild... stare

or do you think a virtual cigarette is the same as a real one...

have you missed the humor in the name of this guild?  

engineer-of-doom
Captain

Original Visionary

15,050 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Object of Affection 150

Lin Not Shin

Wealthy Entrepreneur

10,650 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:24 pm
Yay for smokes!  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:00 pm
I'm just pondering this when I say it....

I wonder if this was a legal issue? Remember Joe Camel, ye older Gaians? They legally beat him down because Joe Camel was seen as pandering smoking to underage kids and encouraging the habit.

Have any of you considered that might be the cause for the sudden turnaround here on Gaia? Perhaps they are facing legal issues? The majority of the users on Gaia are under the age of eighteen and yet, to some, handing out virtual cigarettes is the same thing....encouraging the idea to underage kids that smoking is okay and glamorous. I wonder if they came under legal pressure to thus remove all cigs from Gaia?

PS, I do not smoke and will never smoke nor permit it in my home....but legality aside I'm viewing the uproar on Gaia at the moment something like what happened with Prohibition....and if the users uproar enough they'll be heard....IF this is not a legal matter.  

Feather Kana

Sparkly Spirit

18,725 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Millionaire 200
  • Overstocked 200

Defender_Of_Earth_Rose

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:34 pm
engineer-of-doom
Defender_Of_Earth_Rose

not nearly as annoying as screaming at everyone in my guild... stare

or do you think a virtual cigarette is the same as a real one...

have you missed the humor in the name of this guild?

No, I understand it's not about the cigerretes but this is just insane, it's like I can't get away from this issue. I'm very sorry for that I'm just annoyed.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:43 pm
Feather Kana
I'm just pondering this when I say it....

I wonder if this was a legal issue? Remember Joe Camel, ye older Gaians? They legally beat him down because Joe Camel was seen as pandering smoking to underage kids and encouraging the habit.

Have any of you considered that might be the cause for the sudden turnaround here on Gaia? Perhaps they are facing legal issues? The majority of the users on Gaia are under the age of eighteen and yet, to some, handing out virtual cigarettes is the same thing....encouraging the idea to underage kids that smoking is okay and glamorous. I wonder if they came under legal pressure to thus remove all cigs from Gaia?

PS, I do not smoke and will never smoke nor permit it in my home....but legality aside I'm viewing the uproar on Gaia at the moment something like what happened with Prohibition....and if the users uproar enough they'll be heard....IF this is not a legal matter.

I suppose that might be the case, but if so, Gaia should simply tell us so. Instead, they issued an announcement in which they cast themselves as angels, for doing something which is only symbolic. Frankly, if they want to make a statement, they should publicize that they are sponsoring free clinics for any employee of theirs who wants to stop smoking. That would be a REAL positive action.

Despite my support of this thread, I don't smoke, never have. But honestly, the political correctness of the world isn't supposed to extend into this fantasy realm... If it was, a lot of people would be hauled off for their scanty clothing!

Defender_Of_Earth_Rose
No, I understand it's not about the cigerretes but this is just insane, it's like I can't get away from this issue. I'm very sorry for that I'm just annoyed.

Well I can sure sympathize with that! My "Reality" is a place to go to get away from the outside world, so I'm pretty upset that the politically correct 'no smoking' has infiltrated Gaia... a wholly imaginary world.  

engineer-of-doom
Captain

Original Visionary

15,050 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Object of Affection 150

CabinFeverKitty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:52 pm
Yeah the smoke ban was pretty much the worst idea from the gaia staff ever  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:00 pm
Silveredge Helios
In the real world I can understand worries abotu smoking, but online? Seriously, who could it hurt?

I think Gaia is just saving themselves from trouble. I'll bet some parents would get offended if they saw tobacco related items on a site for practically anyone. I think they just want to save themselves the complaints.User Image  

Marissa on My Mind

Married Sex Symbol

9,150 Points
  • Married 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200

Future Dreamz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:03 pm
xXSereneShadowsXx
Silveredge Helios

I think Gaia is just saving themselves from trouble. I'll bet some parents would get offended if they saw tobacco related items on a site for practically anyone. I think they just want to save themselves the complaints.User Image

This... If they are promoting cigs on the site, it is a open invitation to anyone who lives to sue. It would be one of the easiest things ever to sue Gaia after that.  
®

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff