Reply Gaian Geezers Guild
Working with the Public Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Creepy Clown Town

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:40 am
I am sure some of you if not all now the pain it can be to work for the general public. Either call center, fast food, or movies there is always a story of low tolerence. I was curious to here your guys' stories to make me feel less of a grouch. I will start off:

I work at a call center that sells very expensive items that really are not marketed for the minimum waged and under. A lady orders a $200 two slice toaster and yells at me how ridiculous $22 in shipping is and demands it to be free or given a coupon.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:59 am
People can be too tightfister i know tha people will buy summat where we are and to be more enviromnetally friendly we charge for carrier bags just like 5p to get people to reuse them or think i dont really need one! and the amount of people who complain when they've bought something and i mean half the time they've bought somthing cheap and small easy to carry and yet they stil give us grief about it. I think anyone who works with the general public will have some kind of story to tell and i wouldnt say you were bein grouchy!  

FallenSammy

Invisible Disaster

Kyreie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:08 pm
I work nights...at a hotel...across the street from a bar...'nough said? gonk  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:39 pm
http://notalwaysright.com/

Here is a wonderful sight of just that very stuff!
People send in there experiences with - dumb customers.

here is a lovely sample titled 'Not-So-Great Expectations':

Restaurant( | Okemos, MI, USA)

(It was Memorial Day, and my restaurant happened to be open, although business was very slow. I then received a phone call.)

Me: “Thank you for calling ****, how can I help you?”
Caller: “Yes, can you tell me if **** restaurant is open today? *naming a competitor*
Me: “Uh, I really don’t know if they’re open. You know you called ****, right?”
Caller: “Of course I do, I just assumed you would know if they were open.”
Me: “Ma’am, we’re not affiliated with them. We really don’t keep track of what other restaurants in the area do with regard to their business hours.”
Caller: “You’re not being very helpful. I think there should be something you should be able to do.”
Me: “Have you tried calling them?”
Caller: “Of course I’ve tried calling them. I’m not an idiot.”
Me: “What did they say when they answered?”
Caller: “No one picked up. I called four different times, and no one
answered.”
Me: “Well, that probably means that they’re closed today. If no one is working there, I mean.”
Caller: “I just want to make sure - can you send someone over there to check?”
Me: “Um, no, we can’t.”
Caller: “Why not?”
Me: “Because we work here. I can’t send an employee out of the restaurant to drive down the road and find out if a competitor is open today. If you really want to find out, I suggest you drive there yourself.”
Caller: “I’m not going to waste my time and drive to a restaurant where no one answered the phone! My time is valuable.”
Me: *losing patience* “Clearly.”
Caller: “Look, I don’t see why this is so difficult. Just send someone down there to see if they’re open. It’s not like you’re working today.”
Me: “Actually, we are working. Our restaurant is open today.”
Caller: “Oh, do you have any specials?”
Me: “…”

Amarella Harte

Kimiko Strife

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:25 am
Amarella Harte

(It was Memorial Day, and my restaurant happened to be open, although business was very slow. I then received a phone call.)

Caller: “Yes, can you tell me if **** restaurant is open today? *naming a competitor*
Me: “Ma’am, we’re not affiliated with them. We really don’t keep track of what other restaurants in the area do with regard to their business hours.”
Caller: “You’re not being very helpful. I think there should be something you should be able to do.”
answered.”
Me: “Well, that probably means that they’re closed today. If no one is working there, I mean.”
Me: “Because we work here. I can’t send an employee out of the restaurant to drive down the road and find out if a competitor is open today. If you really want to find out, I suggest you drive there yourself.”
Caller: “I’m not going to waste my time and drive to a restaurant where no one answered the phone! My time is valuable.”
Caller: “Look, I don’t see why this is so difficult. Just send someone down there to see if they’re open. It’s not like you’re working today.”

blaugh I ******** love that, made me laugh really. But I used to work in a horrible little place where (excuse my mouth here please) hispanics and blacks run wild. They usually come in, high off their asses in the drive through, ordering $30-$40 worth of food, all dollar items. You've got people who start fights and drug-addicts shooting up in the restrooms. People who can't speak English half the time and have their kids translate for them to me. You've got your paranoid disabled lady who thinks everyones out to get her. There's at least five bars around the place itself so at night we get drunkards and people slurring half the time.......

I'm so glad I got out of there.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:07 am
WhiteFangsGirl
Amarella Harte

answered.”

blaugh I ******** love that, made me laugh really. But I used to work in a horrible little place where (excuse my mouth here please) hispanics and blacks run wild. They usually come in, high off their asses in the drive through, ordering $30-$40 worth of food, all dollar items. You've got people who start fights and drug-addicts shooting up in the restrooms. People who can't speak English half the time and have their kids translate for them to me. You've got your paranoid disabled lady who thinks everyones out to get her. There's at least five bars around the place itself so at night we get drunkards and people slurring half the time.......

I'm so glad I got out of there.

OMG I'm glad you got out of there too! I wouldn't be able to do that.
I've had lots of instances that I can't even remember. I use to work in the shoe dept at K-mart and I use to work in customer service for an electronics store. People are unbelievable. rolleyes

JupieStarPower6

Evil Eirlys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:54 pm
Amarella Harte

answered.”

That is the greatest story that I have ever heard! I work at an optometrists office, and I constantly have patients that expect me to explain to them the way that their vision insurance works. Also, we take walkins, and you'd be amazed at the people who get angry because they want to be seen right then and there and they refuse to wait.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:16 pm
WHY PPL DON'T REED THE SINGS AND LABELS?

Hears my mess in the head i work as security guard in a hotel and my uniform says (in large and bold letters both back and front)security and the name of the hotel on top of that in the hotel security booth there's a big sing saying the same thing as my shirt and u hate wen both of the flowing happens:

1)me in side the booth a person comes and asks: do you work hear? stressed

2)in front of the door of the hotel: the same stupid question stressed

3)when there are tow persons one gos first with the question and the next one that was near to him/her asks the same thing stressed -in my head-(dint you hear what i sed to the first guy/girl you were there you know)

i deal with that little detail and it gets me like a time boom sweatdrop  

ZenLaginator

3,750 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Citizen 0

Kyreie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:17 am
This is an actual conversation I had one night on the phone with a customer at the hotel (although I've changed the names):

I answered the phone and...

"Thank you for calling King's Inn of South Durem, Tanya speaking, how may I help you?"

"Is this the King's Inn?"

"Yes it is, how may I help you?" neutral

"In South Durem?"

"Yes" confused

"Is this a hotel?"

"Yes" eek

"Do you rent rooms?"

"Yes, we do" rolleyes

"Can I rent a room for more than one night?"

"Yes, you can" xp

"Does the room have a bathroom?"

"Yes it does" smile

"It's own bathroom?"

"Yes, the room has it's own bathroom" biggrin

"It's not a shared bathroom is it?"

"The room has it's own bathroom" xd

"Are you sure?"

"Yes ma'am, I'm sure. Would you like to make a reservation?" lol

"Ummm...I'm not sure yet, I'll call you back"

And she hangs up the phone rofl rofl rofl  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:04 am
Kyreie
This is an actual conversation I had one night on the phone with a customer at the hotel (although I've changed the names):

I answered the phone and...

"Thank you for calling King's Inn of South Durem, Tanya speaking, how may I help you?"

"Is this the King's Inn?"

"Yes it is, how may I help you?" neutral

"In South Durem?"

"Yes" confused

"Is this a hotel?"

"Yes" eek

"Do you rent rooms?"

"Yes, we do" rolleyes

"Can I rent a room for more than one night?"

"Yes, you can" xp

"Does the room have a bathroom?"

"Yes it does" smile

"It's own bathroom?"

"Yes, the room has it's own bathroom" biggrin

"It's not a shared bathroom is it?"

"The room has it's own bathroom" xd

"Are you sure?"

"Yes ma'am, I'm sure. Would you like to make a reservation?" lol

"Ummm...I'm not sure yet, I'll call you back"

And she hangs up the phone rofl rofl rofl

Also a wonderful story! this is why I think people should have to be liscensed in order to procreate.  

Evil Eirlys

Creepy Clown Town

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:34 am
I have people call me saying "hey, I ordered from your catalog using my discover card and would like to make a payment." Its like "umm...you do know you pay discover and not the catalog right in that situation?" xp Oh my favorite question "Hi, I am on your website and it says that the item I want is out of stock so I decided to call and ask you if it truly is out of stock." I just want to be like "NO, we have lots of them, we just don't want you to personally have one."  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:40 pm
The Playdough Bunny
I have people call me saying "hey, I ordered from your catalog using my discover card and would like to make a payment." Its like "umm...you do know you pay discover and not the catalog right in that situation?" xp Oh my favorite question "Hi, I am on your website and it says that the item I want is out of stock so I decided to call and ask you if it truly is out of stock." I just want to be like "NO, we have lots of them, we just don't want you to personally have one."
*laughs* That's how it was when I worked at JCPenney catalog. I can't think of any specific examples, but I'll be sure to post when I get something good.  

Areashine

Interesting Lunatic

Creepy Clown Town

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:01 am
Vengence of Areashine
The Playdough Bunny
*laughs* That's how it was when I worked at JCPenney catalog. I can't think of any specific examples, but I'll be sure to post when I get something good.
oh and you know I know shipping and handling charges are pretty high right now.However, my company does not charge that.We do not have our own trucks.It is UPS that gave out that number so if you have a problem with it A.Don't order or B. call UPS Everytime I give people their total they freak with the shipping and handling and then say "Well its not sold is stores but I GUESS I have no choice...blah blah blah..." but I just want to say "Hey, its a freaking toaster, you HAVE a choice.I am sure there is a Walmart near you..."  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:26 pm
I was giggling when I read these. I know how you feel. Iv done security, worked in bars (night shift), & now Im a photographer. you think it had to deal with ppl try making them all smile at the same time & look at the camera. the one that getme the most are the ones who know what packet they want then take an Hour to pick what photos to put in it! I mean realy an hour to pick 9 photos! burning_eyes
I know I do a good job but come on

Queen Spirit

charamath

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:45 pm
Ok, I've got two. One was just today. It's not the worst, but it's 'fresh'.

Guy comes up to me and holds out a bundled (bundled as in tapped together with a label) 3pk of socks and says 'Are these 3 for $12?'

Me: Yes
Man: but the others had a little tag here that said '3 for $12'' (points to perforated edge on tag)
Me: Yes, it looks like someone just pulled that tag off of them. They're still 3 for $12.
Man: 3 for $12?
Me: yes
Man goes up to cashier. Man comes back and walks past me, giving me an evil eye. I go up to cashier and ask what's going on. This was his conversation with her:
Man: Are these 3 for $12?
Cashier: Yes, but if you buy a second set you get that one for half off.
Man: I thought you said they were 3 for $12.
Cashier: Well they are. We're just having a 'buy on get one half off special.'
Man: So they're not 3 for $12.
Cashier: THIS set is 3 for $12, HOWEVER, if you got a second set, that would be only $6.
Man: Oh, well I'm going to get a second one then.

I was putting returns away and right infront of the doors about 15ft away from me is this older lady. She's talking to herself. She's going 'Girls, where is my cart?' So after about five minutes she looks right at me and goes 'DO YOU HAVE MY CART?!' I tell her that 'no, I do not' and she proceeds to go into this tirade about how she had to make a phone call and had given some girl her cart. I ask her to describe the girl and she says all huffily 'I don't know, some cute little thing!'. I proceed to get a manager over as the lady is getting louder. The manager tries to get some information out of the woman while I radio everyone else and ask all the other employees around about her cart.

One of my fellow employees comes up to me while I'm listening for a radio reply and asks what's wrong, and right then this lady just flips out and screams 'Where the hell is my ******** cart?! GIRLS, go find my damn cart! MY BUS IS WAITING!' So both of us take off (my manager had already fled). I go to the breakroom and ask in there about this cart. When I come back out with one lady who thinks she knows who this woman is, they have finally found her cart. She had left it at the registers ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STORE. Why, no one knows. The phone call she had to make she made from our service desk. She could have taken the cart with her. So she walked outside, came in the wrong doors, and just started berating us. Yes, the bus waiting was a short bus.

Turns out this lady had made an impression all over the store. Back in rugs, two associates overheard her telling another customer 'Get the hell out of my way, I was here first.' And when she walked by them later, she was saying 'Help me' in a tiny voice over and over under her breath.  
Gaian Geezers Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff