Sonic Unleashed? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Meta_Fish
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:26 pm
Who here has played it? What did you guys think? I just rented it the other night, and I've gotta say, it's a huge letdown. Even the running parts just aren't all that much fun, let alone are they not common enough. The reviews were generally better on the Wii version too, so I'd hate to try the other ones. x_x

It just seems like there's too much story. You go to a village, "talk" to people, that are basic images, with no voiceovers, then you can go somewhere. Every once in awhile there's a decent looking cutscene, but most of those are ridiculously unentertaining. The werehog stages are annoying, and consist of walking around, doing some shitty platforming, and then the music plays and you flail your arms around to beat up some boring enemies. Lather, rinse, repeat. That song is like an omen of boring times to come.

Then there's the running stages. Is it just me, or do they feel a lot worse than Sonic Adventure? I don't know exactly what it is. Waiting for reticles to appear over enemies to do a homing attack on them (pulled off by shaking the Wiimote), the awful control on the "drifting" (which could have been awesome if done right) and just overall boring stages. I was really hoping that the running parts of this game would at least be good, but they just fall short to me.

Anyway, what does everyone else think?

And where the ******** are the chao? D:  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:24 pm
I own it for the 360 and can't get past the first tornado level.  

Skaeryll

Dangerous Spotter

5ir Psycho 5exy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:28 pm
I know better than to even entertain the thought that any Sonic past 3 is worth playing.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:44 pm
Regulust
I own it for the 360 and can't get past the first tornado level.

HINT.

Pausing will help you a ******** have it for the 360, and I'm pretty sure I'm up to the final level, Eggmanland.

And at least in the Wii version, you don't have to get ******** tokens to unlock the next few levels. Sonic shouldn't be a collecting kind of game, unless it's the chaos emeralds.

@Fish: Leech of someone with a 360/PS3 copy. Different level layout.  

Bass Beatdown

7,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

LifelessFawkes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:18 pm
I got it for Christmas.
The running levels, I really like, but the Werehogwolf levels suck c**k.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:22 pm
I've played it on Wii, got up to the go find tails part and just stopped playing. I had read reviews of how the running sections were awesome and some of the best so far, while the werewolf bits were a huge letdown. To tell you the truth i found both a huge letdown.

The combat aspects of both sections were tiresome, and just involved smacking the wiimote/nunchuk up and down, plus the werehogs abilities relied too heavily on motion controls, and i had to sit through some gay a** cutscene of chip buying an icecream, that i dont think he even payed for..

I didn't think there was that much control when drifting, it was annoying when trying to drift around a bend on an upper platform only to fall of and having to start again. The talk & gather information parts could have been done so much better, to me they felt kinda half-assed and a bit behind for its time. A free-roaming city to find the people might have been cool.

Anyways I agree, from the amount i had played; it was boring.  

gutterball29

Meta_Fish
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:03 pm
-Zephyrotica-
I know better than to even entertain the thought that any Sonic past 3 is worth playing.
You should try Sonic Rush. Really fast, 2D Sonic action. Not the same amount of rolling action as the old games, but it takes the speed to a whole nother level.

auS-e-Dude
And at least in the Wii version, you don't have to get ******** tokens to unlock the next few levels. Sonic shouldn't be a collecting kind of game, unless it's the chaos emeralds.

@Fish: Leech of someone with a 360/PS3 copy. Different level layout.
Wow, that is stupid.

I wanna find someone that's played both, and see how they compare 'em.

Lifeless-Fox
I got it for Christmas.
The running levels, I really like, but the Werehogwolf levels suck c**k.
Did you think that the running levels were as good as SA or SA2's? I mean, on the whole, I'd say either one of those games is better than what little I've played of Unleashed. Even the robo levels in SA2 were better than most of Unleashed. It just controls like a**.

gutterball29
I've played it on Wii, got up to the go find tails part and just stopped playing. I had read reviews of how the running sections were awesome and some of the best so far, while the werewolf bits were a huge letdown. To tell you the truth i found both a huge letdown.
Seriously, I know! Reading the reviews, I got excited. They've been comparing it to SA and SA2, but I just don't see how they can do that. This game is just worse in every way!

gutterball29
The combat aspects of both sections were tiresome, and just involved smacking the wiimote/nunchuk up and down, plus the werehogs abilities relied too heavily on motion controls.
You can play the game with controls other than the Wiimote and nunchuk. You can use GameCube or Classic; I switched to GameCube to try to make it feel more like Sonic Adventure. :XP:

gutterball29
I didn't think there was that much control when drifting, it was annoying when trying to drift around a bend on an upper platform only to fall of and having to start again.
I just never know how sharp I'm going to take a corner while I drift.

gutterball29
The talk & gather information parts could have been done so much better, to me they felt kinda half-assed and a bit behind for its time.
Definitely. I don't see any reason that they couldn't do a free roaming city. I mean, I don't know which would be better, because the Wii's option (and possibly the PS2's) may have been much faster.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:06 pm
I personally think they should've removed the gay a** sun/moon medals, overworld hubs, stupid talking to people, and "WANTSOMECHOCOLATE" Chip.  

Bass Beatdown

7,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

gutterball29

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:10 pm
Meta_Fish

gutterball29
The combat aspects of both sections were tiresome, and just involved smacking the wiimote/nunchuk up and down, plus the werehogs abilities relied too heavily on motion controls.
You can play the game with controls other than the Wiimote and nunchuk. You can use GameCube or Classic; I switched to GameCube to try to make it feel more like Sonic Adventure. :XP:

Oh yeh.. forgot about that. But to tell you the truth i don't particularly feel like playing it again, regardless.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:22 pm
auS-e-Dude
I personally think they should've removed the gay a** sun/moon medals, overworld hubs, stupid talking to people, and "WANTSOMECHOCOLATE" Chip.
Agreed. And so far, about half of the cutscenes. Near the beginning, you go to Professor Pickle's lab, and he's not there, and he's been kidnapped, so you go to the continent that he's at and then a cutscene plays, where they talk about if Eggman feeds him and what he feeds him, and then leave. It was a complete waste of time. Just... why? WHY? Every time it loads the village hub back up you have to wait a couple of seconds, just to click another area (the controls for that are even bad) to read a couple of lines from still images, and then go back, hoping that you "unlocked" a new area. They try to make the menus look fancy by having them move around and stuff, but it's just completely unneeded. I would gladly have the most basic presentation if it was quicker. It's like having to wait to walk on thumbtacks. I mean, I guess it prepares you for more pain, but you just want to get it over with.

Wow. I ranted.

gutterball29
Meta_Fish

Oh yeh.. forgot about that. But to tell you the truth i don't particularly feel like playing it again, regardless.
I can't say I really blame you. Here's to hoping for next time.  

Meta_Fish
Captain

l-Kathulu-l

Versatile Man-Lover

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:35 am
Good thing I got a 360, I no longer have to settle for watered down versions of games deported to the Wii. Not all of them are bad, just this one sounds better on the 360.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:58 am
l-Kathulu-l
Good thing I got a 360, I no longer have to settle for watered down versions of games deported to the Wii. Not all of them are bad, just this one sounds better on the 360.

No, it's ******** worse.

360/PS3 version = some kind of DK64 mechanics rip off.  

Bass Beatdown

7,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

TtheHero

Unbeatable Protagonist

29,625 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Waffles! 25
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:52 am
I'm supposed to get this as a gift pretty soon.

Well, I hope the music will be good...

But now I wonder, just what content will be in the JPN version...?

And after this, how well do you guys think Sonic and the Black Knight will fare?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:06 am
To be honest, I really enjoyed playing Sonic Unleashed! Even parts of the Werehog levels were sometimes fun! ... But then again, I enjoy playing most Sonic games. Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog were pretty bad though...  

Super Cheesio

'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces