Reply Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics
How Do You Read the Books? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

dance_rox_my_jazz_shoes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:16 pm
This is basically a thread to talk about strange things you do while reading the books. For example, when both Dumbledore and Dobby died, I closed the book and refused to read it for at least ten minutes. I also have had to jump around the room during several parts because I loved them so much. Does anyone else have any strange quirks like this, or am I alone?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:23 pm
I grip the book so tightly that my knuckles go white during the battle scenes and stuff... and when people die, I grip it tighter and cry all over the page.... And I refuse to do anything my body needs me to do until I absolutely have to (dying of hunger, bladder going to explode...)  

ScottieBears MiaKitty

6,250 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Hive Mind 200

avocadopenguin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:28 am
I squeal in a fangirlish fashion and hug the book in the bits I love, because bouncing around the room would take too much time.

I cry a lot over fictional tragedy, possibly because I bottle things up in real life. Not to mention that these characters have been my life for ten years. So when I get to the sad bits in Harry Potter I sometimes just turn away from the book and let myself cry for a while, because it gets hard to read when my eyes are blurred with tears and I'm shaking with each sob. Then when I've calmed down a bit, I turn back to the book and try to cry in a more reserved way so I can keep reading.

I cried for half an hour solid after Colin Creevey died. I don't know where I got all the tears from. Then I picked up the book and carried on crying (in a slightly more graceful fashion) right up to the epilogue.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:27 am
I'm awesome at reading the books. Because of my amazing talents for multitasking, I can make and eat meals while still reading and have baths etc. My books get very dirty ..
As for what I do while reading, almost completely dependent on where I am at the time. If I'm reading on my bed I will sometimes get really agitated at some bits (either a battle, or Cho being there etc) and I will squirm in my sheets and tangle them all up. And really good bits, I need to sit up to read.

I'm usually fine on transport, except with the funny bits. I remember once reading GOF on the train, the part with the gold egg and Fred and George saying it "sounded like Percy singing, perhaps you need to attack him in the shower, Harry" (to that effect) I was laughing for ten minutes very loudly, everyone was looking at me..  

The Ghoul In Pajamas

paraphernalia_101

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:00 pm
I basically read them non stop until I finish them and cry at the most tragic parts, especially when Snape died, that was hard for me. I take things more into consideration and want to discuss the books, which I do but people stare at me blankly and don't know how to respond.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:39 am
When I read the Harry Potter books, I'd be closed up in my room for hours at a time constantly reading. If I cried, I kept on reading while bawling lol. I will take little breaks inbetween reading but I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about what has happened and what might happen and which would make it very hard to concentrate on anything else.

When I re-read the books, I do it slower to try and take things in better then I did when I first read it and tried to just find out what happens. Still would read in my room, but mostly at night time.  

Grey Gardens

1,100 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

gerp91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:03 pm
I can also very good at multi-tasking while reading the books. I got my 7th book the day after it came out (I WAS going to go to the midnight release but my parents changed their minds and wouldn't let me go), it tooks me 2 days to get through it because I was reading during my Great-Grandmother's 80th birthday. I was forced to listen to one of distant cousin's wine while I was reading the 7th book because he didn't have it yet.

I also randomly yell at my mother when something bad or something good happens and she just stares at me. I believe I threw my book across the room when Dumbledore died and crie during his funeral. I think that is about it. Oh, and I have a bad habit of telling random people what just happened in the book right after I got done with it.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:14 am
^ I always end up telling my mom what happened (because my dad I knew wanted to actually read the books himself so I can't ruin the story for him), but she always just goes "Oh yeah... Really? Ooh.. Cool..".
Probably because she has absolutely no idea what I'm talking about because it's not like she knows what a horcrux is or who Tonks is lol.  

Grey Gardens

1,100 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

jane_austen07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:18 am
When I read the books I do nothing else but read. I don't care about school, food, sleeping and anything else I just read and whem I'm throiugh I am soooo sad that it is over, I just want to know how it goes on, even after Deathly Hallows I just thought: Okay, I want to read Book 8^^
And the parts I like I can read more than a million times and they do not get boring at all...^^  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:43 am
The Ghoul In Pajamas
I'm awesome at reading the books. Because of my amazing talents for multitasking, I can make and eat meals while still reading and have baths etc. My books get very dirty ..
As for what I do while reading, almost completely dependent on where I am at the time. If I'm reading on my bed I will sometimes get really agitated at some bits (either a battle, or Cho being there etc) and I will squirm in my sheets and tangle them all up. And really good bits, I need to sit up to read.

I'm usually fine on transport, except with the funny bits. I remember once reading GOF on the train, the part with the gold egg and Fred and George saying it "sounded like Percy singing, perhaps you need to attack him in the shower, Harry" (to that effect) I was laughing for ten minutes very loudly, everyone was looking at me..

Aaaaw. I would have been really happy to see someone laughing at a Harry Potter book on a train. I always see adults reading them on the tube and looking a bit embarrassed. I love it when you see complete strangers really getting into their books on public transport. I find it really endearing.
Except once I was reading a book-it wasn't even as sad as the saddest bits of the Harry Potter books- on a train from Newcastle to London (King's Cross, as it happens), and I got to the sad part and suddenly burst into floods of tears. Loudly. I was sitting opposite two people I had never met. I reduced my bawling to a quiet sniffle. It was a long, awkward journey after that.  

avocadopenguin

xHogwartsxAngelx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:59 pm
Sometimes I talk to myself as if I'm talking to someone else in the room, like a friend or something, even though they aren't there...I'm a little strange...and when I heard Fred died (spoiler...I haven't read the 6th or 7th books yet), I pretended to be George and literally cried on my book...Also when I read something funny in them, I just put the book down and just laugh for a while...then pick it back up and continue reading it....  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:09 pm
When I get to a part that I love, I always start squealing!!!  

smaw12

Minerva the Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:09 am
My entire life I always expressed emotions because of books. I cry when my favourite characters die, gasp and grip the book tightly when something surprising or suspenseful occurs, and laugh out loud at the amusing parts. I even do all of these things while reading in public because I don't give a damn how much other people stare at me. xp However, I can honestly say that the Harry Potter novels were the first time I ever yelled aloud at a book in rage. To this day, I have never loathed a fictional character as much as I despise Umbridge. evil That shows how much talent JKR has. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:53 pm
I make any parts I don't like more exiting by turning the book over and reading it upside down  

fireinthenight

Minerva the Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:53 pm
Quote:
I make any parts I don't like more exiting by turning the book over and reading it upside down

Luna would be proud! razz  
Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces