Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Moonlight 0kami

2,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:29 am
Hey all, Got a question about what type of music to listen to. Now I like rock, I listen to Linkin Park, Three Days Grace, Green Day and Disturbed and others. Well my uncle says that I shouldn't listen to any other music besides Christian music. At all. Basically we got into this huge fight on that. He said these things-
- That when ever you listen to music is should be about worshiping the lord.
- Shouldn't have any swears or anything 'bad' in it. If it does than you're "supporting" that type of stuff.
- Also he mentioned that the lead singer and guitarist in Green Day, Billie Joe, is bi and because I listen to his music and bought a cd that I'm supporting being gay and bi which he said is wrong and bla bla bla. To that point.

Now this is what I say/asking you guys...-
- We can listen to other things besides Christian music to, right?
- Its not like I'm singing to it and saying the bad language.
- I'm supporting his music, not his sexuality... right?

So... what do you guys think of this?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:34 am
just take a deep breath and chill. trust me when i say your supporting the music, not the sexuality... is ur uncle like 56 or something? but if you want good christian rock bands, these are my suggestions

Disciple
Thousand foot krutch
Reliant K
Ashes Remain

if you want to explore christian metal, these are some good bands

inhale exhale
The Devil Wears Prada
Demon Hunter
Destroy the Runner
Cry of the Afflicted
As i Lay Dying
oh Sleeper

i love metal and rock. to tell you the truth, i don't always listen to christian music. on a good day i'll listen to some secular rock like Red Jumpsuit Apparatus and Finch. i try to limit my secular listening though  

thrashmetaljunkie

Moonlight 0kami

2,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:37 pm
Lol no he's like... 40 ish. eh, close enough.
Bur yea, I've always wanted to know what good Christian rock bands there were, thanks for the list  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:24 pm
[Shadow_Lover]
Lol no he's like... 40 ish. eh, close enough.
Bur yea, I've always wanted to know what good Christian rock bands there were, thanks for the list
np, anytime. if you want, you can IM if you want to know more, or, if you have itunes and you like any of those bands, then pull up the ministore, and fine similar bands. if you don't, i'd be happy to do it for you ^^  

thrashmetaljunkie

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:31 pm
Why is your uncle so concerned with whether one of the artists you listen to is bi? It's nosy and unneeded. Oh, and perhaps your uncle shouldn't be judging you and the music you listen to and the artists that make the music.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:06 am
Lady Kayura
Why is your uncle so concerned with whether one of the artists you listen to is bi? It's nosy and unneeded. Oh, and perhaps your uncle shouldn't be judging you and the music you listen to and the artists that make the music.

He believes that being gay/bi/lesbian is wrong and that you go to hell for that. So he thinks that if I listen I support that and that its wrong. I'm not saying I think that to, but he does...
And to thrashmetaljunkie, no I don't have itunes... its very sad, xd  

Moonlight 0kami

2,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Cheri Baby

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:58 am
I am a christian and listen to other music then just christian. I also have 2 children that listen to other type of music. I think there is nothing wrong with it if you don't go and do what the say in the music.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:59 am
Listening to only Christian music is like muting the voice of the world in our ears.

We ought to be selective in our music because it does affect us. It feeds different things in us. But, that is different for each individual.

For myself, it means I have to make some secular bands, like Keane, not the main thing I listen to, especially when in a time of doubting God. But we can't just shut out the world's voice. That is wrong. How are we supposed to be salt and light and have compassion on the world if we don't understand where it's coming from and we never listen to one of its main vehicles of expression?  

Berezi

thrashmetaljunkie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:58 pm
[Shadow_Lover]
Lady Kayura

He believes that being gay/bi/lesbian is wrong and that you go to hell for that. So he thinks that if I listen I support that and that its wrong. I'm not saying I think that to, but he does...
if you ever want more bands, just IM me, i'll get em for you  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:41 pm
Well, thats his preference for music, not yours. Just because you listen to music that has that "bad" stuff does not make you bad. Now as far as I know, Christians can listen to any music they want. I know thats how its was with me when I was Christian. I got into fights with family members too, but, it is YOUR choice in what you listen to. Its not his, not your mothers, no one but you should choose what you listen to. Now I know few people here know me but I listen to all sorts of supposedly bad music, but I myself am not bad. So you know listen to what you like. Not what he likes. Freedom to choose baby!  

Ricette

moosiklady

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:12 pm
First off, I'm 40+ and I've been criticized by a close Christian friend (who was also a pastor, though not at my church) for playing CLASSICAL music!!!!! Which really burned me, because a lot of classical was written for sacred settings (like Bach, he was a church organist!)

Anyway - as long as you're well grounded in your Christianity - and you're getting fellowship and Bible study at church or on your own.....Go ahead and enjoy! Stay away from the worst stuff, recognize what's good and what's bad about the artists you listen to. You are supporting their music and talent, not their sexuality or their beliefs!

(taken to the extreme we wouldn't be able to do business with hardly anyone!)  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:27 am
[Shadow_Lover]
Hey all, Got a question about what type of music to listen to. Now I like rock, I listen to Linkin Park, Three Days Grace, Green Day and Disturbed and others. Well my uncle says that I shouldn't listen to any other music besides Christian music. At all. Basically we got into this huge fight on that. He said these things-
- That when ever you listen to music is should be about worshiping the lord.
- Shouldn't have any swears or anything 'bad' in it. If it does than you're "supporting" that type of stuff.
- Also he mentioned that the lead singer and guitarist in Green Day, Billie Joe, is bi and because I listen to his music and bought a cd that I'm supporting being gay and bi which he said is wrong and bla bla bla. To that point.

Now this is what I say/asking you guys...-
- We can listen to other things besides Christian music to, right?
- Its not like I'm singing to it and saying the bad language.
- I'm supporting his music, not his sexuality... right?

So... what do you guys think of this?

no one can tell you what is right or wrong but you (God asside)

do what you feel is right  

lordstar

Mystic_moon15

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:54 pm
i say listen to your music i like may of the bands you listed personally i mostly listen to country but either way its ok to listen to what you want.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:01 pm
[Shadow_Lover]
Lady Kayura

He's also judging which he shouldn't do.  

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers