Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Hunter

12,125 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Champion 300
So... They took it off the site because there was a hole in the code... right?

All our accounts were at risk since 2008... right?

Well... since my account was at risk for being hacked since 2008 and nobody did anything about it until the game that everyone loved became too much of a problem to run, I am kind of curious about what the code looks like...

Anyone else wanna see the damaged code? If anything, we could try to find ways to mend it, ways that gaia hasn't thought of because they have their head so far up the rectums of the people that post adds on this site that they aren't fixing, only adding what will bring them the most profit.

Anyone agree? Anyone wanna see if gaiaonline will post the code for us all to see?

I dunno about you, but I want to play DMS, and Buzz Saw, and slay a vampire, and explore Boardwalk again and am pretty desperate to get that back... anyone else agree?

(yes, I am ranting, and sound like a brat too. BITE ME)

Dedicated Cutie-Pie

16,000 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
savvycrazy
So... They took it off the site because there was a hole in the code... right?

All our accounts were at risk since 2008... right?

Well... since my account was at risk for being hacked since 2008 and nobody did anything about it until the game that everyone loved became too much of a problem to run, I am kind of curious about what the code looks like...

Anyone else wanna see the damaged code? If anything, we could try to find ways to mend it, ways that gaia hasn't thought of because they have their head so far up the rectums of the people that post adds on this site that they aren't fixing, only adding what will bring them the most profit.

Anyone agree? Anyone wanna see if gaiaonline will post the code for us all to see?

I dunno about you, but I want to play DMS, and Buzz Saw, and slay a vampire, and explore Boardwalk again and am pretty desperate to get that back... anyone else agree?

(yes, I am ranting, and sound like a brat too. BITE ME)

Count me in! emotion_yatta I'd totally be willing to help fix it, if possible.

Dangerous Hunter

12,125 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Champion 300
Angel Light 2012

Do you know of a way to get them to post the code? I mean, all games can be broken down into their most basic form and I am pretty sure there are some useres here that know how to read and repair it...

Dedicated Cutie-Pie

16,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
savvycrazy
Angel Light 2012

Do you know of a way to get them to post the code? I mean, all games can be broken down into their most basic form and I am pretty sure there are some useres here that know how to read and repair it...

Hmm... I suppose if we round up enough coders who are equally willing, we could form a guild and appeal to them - whether via PM or some other method - to let us look at the code. I'm not sure if it's possible to keep it private (i.e. viewable only by the guild members), but even if not we could try and work things out anyway.

This kind of reminds me of my beginning experiences working with open-source code back in college. 4laugh

Dangerous Hunter

12,125 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Champion 300
Angel Light 2012
savvycrazy
Angel Light 2012

Hmm... I suppose if we round up enough coders who are equally willing, we could form a guild and appeal to them - whether via PM or some other method - to let us look at the code. I'm not sure if it's possible to keep it private (i.e. viewable only by the guild members), but even if not we could try and work things out anyway.

This kind of reminds me of my beginning experiences working with open-source code back in college. 4laugh

I wouldn't even know where to begin, but I would be willing to do anything humanly possible to get the MMO back...

Dedicated Cutie-Pie

16,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
savvycrazy
Angel Light 2012
savvycrazy
Angel Light 2012

I wouldn't even know where to begin, but I would be willing to do anything humanly possible to get the MMO back...

Yeah, same here.

How about we go around the Forums and try recruiting some other coders? I think that might be a good start. 3nodding

Dangerous Hunter

12,125 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Champion 300
Angel Light 2012
savvycrazy
Angel Light 2012
savvycrazy
Angel Light 2012

Yeah, same here.

How about we go around the Forums and try recruiting some other coders? I think that might be a good start. 3nodding

How would we even find legit coders?

Dedicated Cutie-Pie

16,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
savvycrazy
Angel Light 2012
savvycrazy
Angel Light 2012
savvycrazy
Angel Light 2012

Yeah, same here.

How would we even find legit coders?

Hmm... good question. confused Would we need to use a questionnaire to figure that out?
This might take a bit more planning than I thought, but it's still worth a try. heart
don't waste your time... zOMG! and the technical stuff behind it has been patented under: Publication number: US7695370 B2. (google it if you don't believe me. I can't link to it as it contains names and threads with links to personal information are being deleted). Gaia interactive claims to have looked into the costs to fix it. For that they have enquired one of the original programmers. However, the costs to fix zOMG! are probably more than gaia staff is willing to spend on it. It wouldn't be profitable.
So, unless you have a really good lawyer that may find a loophole in the patent and trademark systems, there is no way to "fix" this game without gaia staff's and in particular Lanzer's (since his name is in the patent) permission.
It's the same like tentacl... if it doesn't return the invested money soon it will be pulled.... in other words... no quick profits no game. And of course ignore the community. (Seems to be gaia policy).

Dedicated Cutie-Pie

16,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
Well, at least we can't say we didn't think of that as a possibility. smile

Striking Lover

I have been questioning this since they claimed to have found an issue in the first place. More than likely it was taken down solely based on the fact they wanted to invest more in GC. If the game wasn`t doing any harm or good, why not let it lie? They would have still made a profit off of CG regardless of the game being there.

If, however, there was an issue in the coding it could be fixed, and not for the large amount they claim it would take them to. There are far more intricate games, with larger servers and player base that are code only generated and are updated and fixed constantly. And then there are ones that run completely free with a very small player base, and are still updated frequently. I haven`t seen them give an actual reason as to why zOMG is doomed. Only that they don`t want to bother with it.

Astronomical Recalibrator

miroku_the cursed
I have been questioning this since they claimed to have found an issue in the first place. More than likely it was taken down solely based on the fact they wanted to invest more in GC. If the game wasn`t doing any harm or good, why not let it lie? They would have still made a profit off of CG regardless of the game being there.

If, however, there was an issue in the coding it could be fixed, and not for the large amount they claim it would take them to. There are far more intricate games, with larger servers and player base that are code only generated and are updated and fixed constantly. And then there are ones that run completely free with a very small player base, and are still updated frequently. I haven`t seen them give an actual reason as to why zOMG is doomed. Only that they don`t want to bother with it.

I feel like the reason this "hole in the code" assuming it even exist probably comes from them not bothering as much with game maintainace so the code that was fine way back in 2000 and whatever was now old and easy for people to manipulate. My guess is they just kept bandaging the issues instead of actually fixing them. I wouldnt of minded if they invested a little more time durring maintainance. If they had to keep zomg down for one month every year to fix major parts of the code like this "hole" maybe we wouldnt be raging at them now.

Gaia why do you seem to enjoy making your customers foam at the mouth with rage and irritation. You are poking bears with a stick right now and its a matter of time before bite you right in the a**

Prophet

I think it would be a good idea for some proof to the flaw in the code. Perhaps start a petition for them to release it?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff