< 1 2

Adventuring Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
robertvilla1
if thats so then zomg sucks if no pvp
Actually, I find that PvP is a waste of time and a 'feature' that degrade the human mind and manners.

Yes, PvP is not in. At the moment. They had plans to eventually have an arena type event/area where you could, if your internet ego desired, beat up other players. If you want them to eventually implement some form of PvP then keep playing and support the game.

If you aren't willing to support the game so that they can justify putting in the time and effort to add this feature, then please just go stare at a blank wall for a few hours and make a better use of your time.

Benevolent Codger

The World Ends with Meh
PvP is the complete opposite of the goal of the game scream
PLUS if there was PvP people would probably stop playing I know I would be one of the people sides who wants to get dazed by a random person when youre just trying to get a crew?)

EDIT: plus the comment about zOMG being shelved

The goal of the game is a fun social experience - and that is in no way mutually exclusive with PvP. In the same way that games like draughts and dominos rarely tear longtime friendships apart, some competitive elements in zOMG! would certainly not rend all sense of community from the game. whee

There seems to be some pretty widespread misconceptions about just what "PvP" means - in-and-of-itself, it simply means "Player versus Player" content; however many players seem to assume that it refers solely to open-world or PK (player-killing) playstyles. But that's quite similar to claiming that the only way to arrange a game of draughts is by forcing it upon random passers-by; and not only is that not the only method available, it's certainly not the best one, and it's generally not even a way we'd even consider in any friendly enviroment. Why anyone thinks that's how we'd choose to implement PvP in zOMG! is entirely beyond me. sweatdrop

As for zOMG! being 'shelved', there seems to be quite a bit of misinformation on that front as well. The fact is, zOMG! currently has no developers working on it. However, it does not follow from that fact that zOMG! will never have developers on it, or that Gaia has no interest in continuing zOMG! as a project - it means, simply, that Gaia feels it has better places to use those developers right now. The future is a vats and unpredictable thing, but I personally have no doubt whatsoever that zOMG! will receive development support in the future. The fact that we simply don't know when that might be does not mean we can reasonably assume it will never happen... 3nodding

Popular Friend

If pvp was implemented, im not paying for your coffin }:^D
Red Kutai
The World Ends with Meh
PvP is the complete opposite of the goal of the game scream
PLUS if there was PvP people would probably stop playing I know I would be one of the people sides who wants to get dazed by a random person when youre just trying to get a crew?)

EDIT: plus the comment about zOMG being shelved

The goal of the game is a fun social experience - and that is in no way mutually exclusive with PvP. In the same way that games like draughts and dominos rarely tear longtime friendships apart, some competitive elements in zOMG! would certainly not rend all sense of community from the game. whee

There seems to be some pretty widespread misconceptions about just what "PvP" means - in-and-of-itself, it simply means "Player versus Player" content; however many players seem to assume that it refers solely to open-world or PK (player-killing) playstyles. But that's quite similar to claiming that the only way to arrange a game of draughts is by forcing it upon random passers-by; and not only is that not the only method available, it's certainly not the best one, and it's generally not even a way we'd even consider in any friendly enviroment. Why anyone thinks that's how we'd choose to implement PvP in zOMG! is entirely beyond me. sweatdrop

As for zOMG! being 'shelved', there seems to be quite a bit of misinformation on that front as well. The fact is, zOMG! currently has no developers working on it. However, it does not follow from that fact that zOMG! will never have developers on it, or that Gaia has no interest in continuing zOMG! as a project - it means, simply, that Gaia feels it has better places to use those developers right now. The future is a vats and unpredictable thing, but I personally have no doubt whatsoever that zOMG! will receive development support in the future. The fact that we simply don't know when that might be does not mean we can reasonably assume it will never happen... 3nodding

You're right. We'll just take a cue with how well Gaia and the devs manage their concept of a timeline. We have say...another 5-10 years before they pick up zOMG again. (crosses fingers)
Tessa Illyanovich

You're right. We'll just take a cue with how well Gaia and the devs manage their concept of a timeline. We have say...another 5-10 years before they pick up zOMG again. (crosses fingers)
They'd probably pick it up faster than they did fixing my EB reward glitch. That only took...oh wait. It's still broken since January 2010. :/

Invisible Visionary

17,050 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
I use to really want PvP.. I thought it would have just been fun to duke-it-out with some friends and the occasional random.. for whatever reasons.. Even if there were no rewards or if I always lost.
What soured my attitude towards it, however, was the release of DMS.
If you think the elitism & butthurt that was/is going around was bad.. just imagine if a PvP environment was implemented.
Don't get me wrong.. I would still very much ADORE PvP in zOMG!.. But I would probably have to reserve any protective gear for here in the z!F rather than in-game. >.>

The way I see it, unless we can think of an easy system and way for a dev or two to implement it while it brings in enough revenue to cover the cost as well as continue to keep a steady stream of income, it'll likely never happen and still wouldn't guarantee it ever being implemented. So, an entire area or instance dedicated to PvP is out of the question.. and it would probably require the purchase of a "ticket" of some sort good for X number of uses.. And if you weigh the numbers of people that want and don't want PvP, the purchasing of any kind of item to support such a feature wouldn't hold up with the costs to implement it..

Benevolent Codger

Tarot Rune
I use to really want PvP.. I thought it would have just been fun to duke-it-out with some friends and the occasional random.. for whatever reasons.. Even if there were no rewards or if I always lost.
What soured my attitude towards it, however, was the release of DMS.
If you think the elitism & butthurt that was/is going around was bad.. just imagine if a PvP environment was implemented.
Don't get me wrong.. I would still very much ADORE PvP in zOMG!.. But I would probably have to reserve any protective gear for here in the z!F rather than in-game. >.>

The Community is always going to have trouble dealing with things it isn't accustomed to - any big change is going to meet resistance. The issue with DMS is that zOMG! hadn't had any kind of outlet for significant accomplishments almost since it opened, and the community essentially forgot how to deal with 'success'. As a game and a community, we can either confront that issue - that is, make accomplishment-driven features that force the community to adapt to it - or we can ignore it. Since the latter just facilitates intolerance toward accomplishment-driven players, and since those players are an important part of any game's demographic, I definitely favour the former.
Quote:
The way I see it, unless we can think of an easy system and way for a dev or two to implement it while it brings in enough revenue to cover the cost as well as continue to keep a steady stream of income, it'll likely never happen and still wouldn't guarantee it ever being implemented. So, an entire area or instance dedicated to PvP is out of the question.. and it would probably require the purchase of a "ticket" of some sort good for X number of uses.. And if you weigh the numbers of people that want and don't want PvP, the purchasing of any kind of item to support such a feature wouldn't hold up with the costs to implement it..

To be fair, I think the 'system' is pretty obvious - what will take a lot of work is the balance of it. Player characters are designed specifically to fight Animated, and Animated are not designed to function like player characters - thus, it follows that player characters are not designed to fight other player characters. The obvious solutions, then, are re-designing Animated so that they function more like player characters (making PvP less of a natural stretch), or re-designing player characters to facilitate fighting other player characters (most likely by implementing separate stats and mechanics for PvP content). The former is obviously more elegant and more natural approach, but the latter would be easier to just 'add on'. whee

As for income, that will be an issue with any new feature; zOMG! wasn't designed as a profit engine, and our developers still don't know how to make it one. However, it will certainly be important that any new feature possesses a reasonably sound strategy for supporting itself, and PvP would be no different - especially considering the heavier-than-normal investment that would be required. I do think that PvP would be more popular than the common opinion implies, though - I think much of the negativity surrounding it comes from a lack of understanding of how it would work, or what it would do. Once it were actually implemented in the game, those things would be a bit more obvious... 3nodding

EDIT: I rather like your idea of "PvP Tickets", actually. So long as those 'Tickets' were Marketplace-accessible, I think that would be a reasonably sound way to generate funds on a long-requested feature...

Perfect Bloodsucker

17,050 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Threadmaster 200
AterAliquis
Great.

Every time somebody asks about PvP they keep zOMG on hold another year.

when will zomg get pvp
when will zomg get pvp
when will zomg get pvp
when will zomg get pvp
when will zomg get pvp
when will zomg get pvp

emotion_awesome

on-topic: i personally wouldnt mind PvP in zOMG!, so long as there was a specific place or server you had to be for it to be in effect, and it was organized properly so cl 10-12s couldnt go around one-hit ks'ing the lower CLs.

8,950 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I honestly don't want Pvp in zOMG. Its annoying when you want to be crewed or trying to level up, and all of a sudden someone kills you, not fun.
I think pvp would be alot more fun then sitting around farming for gold like most of the people on zomg do. It's become a grind bank. I think what people worry about the most is not being able to get there gold while being pk'd by another player..but w/e

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff