Welcome to Gaia! ::

Benevolent Codger

I've left this thread alone for a bit, simply because I had another thread running that I didn't want to distract too much from. At this point, I think that thread's got as much momentum as it's going to, so I figured it was only responsible of me to get back to routine.

Quote:
What is the one feature you think you would be most willing to spend Cash for?

This one's a little open-ended - even to the point of being vague - but I find that when I overspecify, the discussions tend to pull away from the subject; while I love discussions whether they're 'on topic' or not, I'm afraid the divergence might discourage those who are coming in later. We'll see how things go, eh? sweatdrop

Familiar Lunatic

Hmm. currrently anyway, I really just can't see anything I'd pay real $$$ for.
Maybe if I'm drunk or otherwise lose mah senses, but that never happens talk2hand

So, I could use a new question :U

Benevolent Codger

gataka
Hmm. currrently anyway, I really just can't see anything I'd pay real $$$ for.
Maybe if I'm drunk or otherwise lose mah senses, but that never happens talk2hand

So, I could use a new question :U

Yeah, that obviously didn't pan out so well. I was hoping that would spur some suggestions in an important direction, but I suppose that's a more difficult subject than it might seem. I can understand why it didn't go through, but I was hopeful nonetheless. sweatdrop

That said, any suggestions for a new question? whee

Familiar Lunatic

Let's first ask questions about the questions. Thing is, few people will see the questions.
Now the question is who are these people and what question are they most likely to answer?

Questaion, questaion, questartarvinx ¯3¯

Familiar Lunatic

Maybe something related to other games, like what would you steal from X?
More fun than serious, but could foster ideas.

Or a negative suggestion, something you wouldn't want to see happen to the game...other than PvP?

Barton Sweetheart

Red Kutai

Quote:

Not sure if this is still the question to answer or even if I'll answer it correctly but here goes.

I'd be will to spend money on access to a new area, I'm aware that it could trun into a pay to play scenario but the fact that people seem willing to pay for new areas ( BB and DMS been examples) However I am aware of the limitations of this and people complaining how unfair it is.

I was going to say I'd pay for a Ring chance item/ random item generator that gave you a chance of some new rings and the event rings plus new zOMG items for the avatar seeing as people like that sort of thing and could help money wise as well ( a tiny bit granted).

Sorry if I've gone off topic but your question looked lonely

Benevolent Codger

Zealand_Aquarius
Red Kutai

Quote:

Not sure if this is still the question to answer or even if I'll answer it correctly but here goes.

I'd be will to spend money on access to a new area, I'm aware that it could trun into a pay to play scenario but the fact that people seem willing to pay for new areas ( BB and DMS been examples) However I am aware of the limitations of this and people complaining how unfair it is.

I was going to say I'd pay for a Ring chance item/ random item generator that gave you a chance of some new rings and the event rings plus new zOMG items for the avatar seeing as people like that sort of thing and could help money wise as well ( a tiny bit granted).

Sorry if I've gone off topic but your question looked lonely

Why, thank you very much! heart

Both of those examples represent paying for more content, and a major issue there is that content is exceptionally difficult to produce - DMS was an evidently unsuccessful bid at creating revenue from content, and it even had the advantage of much of its content existing before active development on the area began. If they were to actually make an area 'from scratch', it would need to make much, much more than DMS did, to be legitimately successful. Similarly, they've tried Sweetheart already; we don't really know how successful that endeavour was, but being that Sweetheart appears to have been rather more difficult to make than a normal ring and that its effect was confined to being relatively underpowered (due at least in part to its being cash-exclusive), I can't realistically see most new Cash rings generating enough excitement to warrant their costs. If you'll recall, animation is very resource-intensive, and therefore is one of the bigger hurdles the game faces in production of new content; most monetisation ideas that require it - and a lot of it - will probably be too costly to justify. sweatdrop

My main issue with that, though, is that while we can imagine scenarios where those things do generate profit, I feel they would have an extremely negative effect on the game if implemented as a profit model. That is, if it became standard that areas and rings required Cash, I think that would be a huge detriment to zOMG! core principles. I know it's not quite what the question posed - and I don't mean to ambush you with it - but what the game really needs is a sustainable model. I feel that any model in which the sustainability of the game is predicated upon regularly releasing Cash-exclusive areas, or rings, simply strays too far from what zOMG! is aiming to accomplish... redface

Winged Phantom

18,725 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Marathon 300

Benevolent Codger

I've not seen much in the way of suggestion threads floating around lately, but I'll admit that I also haven't been looking too hard. Here's an ill-disguised bump in the hopes that if anyone else has seen something, they'll be kind enough to bring it to my attention. 3nodding

For some discussion, regardless: many of us are now familiar with HoC, and while it and zOMG! are obviously very different games, diversity is often an opportunity to learn. What are the things you feel HoC does better than zOMG!? Are there elements you think zOMG! could benefit from borrowing, or adapting? Or, perhaps, what elements would you like to included that intersect them both - crossovers, etc. It's always handy to look for inspiration in new places... wink

Familiar Lunatic

Eye sea what you deed their :U

I expect someone to bring this up: HoC does PvP bettarh xD
Anyway, top of my head, I'd say it's more overly ambitious than zOMG! emotion_awesome

Benevolent Codger

gataka
I expect someone to bring this up: HoC does PvP bettarh xD
Anyway, top of my head, I'd say it's more overly ambitious than zOMG! emotion_awesome

Well, the only thing to 'learn' from that is that HoC does PvP at all - there's nothing particularly impressive about the manner in which it does PvP, and the vast majority of the game's PvP promise is unrealised. Indeed, I think if PvP were simply dropped into zOMG! right now it would work better here than it currently does there, despite all of zOMG!'s flaws. sweatdrop

That's strange, though, considering how "overly ambitious" zOMG! was in its day - but I think a lot of that was more technical than design-oriented. You're right that HoC is just trying to do a lot more than zOMG! ever did - all of the design elements in zOMG! (Rings, Rage, even G'hi) at least serve some actual purpose, whereas HoC's design elements are often intentionally mitigated by other elements, or added as patchy 'fixes' to shortcomings elsewhere. I've complained a lot before about zOMG!'s core design not being realised as well as it could be, but I think I prefer that to HoC's system of not fully realising one's core design while realising a bunch of other needless things. I suppose zOMG! has a bit of that, but they're really evolved it into an art in HoC... xp

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff