Welcome to Gaia! ::

Battle system

Who knew it would case a flame war? 1 100.0% [ 33 ]
Total Votes:[ 33 ]
1 2 >

I'm sick and tired of everyone being nubsicles in this forum, so I'm going to list the unbiased pros and cons of both battle systems, and why the devs probably took the easier root than the more "satisfying" one.

Weapons:

Pros:

- The depth of the game would have more gaians playing for a longer period of time.
-The animations, although they would take some time to implement, would make the user feel as if their avatar was actually an adventurer.
-The Gaian world would feel more fantasy based

Cons:
-It would take alot of work to rework every single item into an avatar's animation.
-It would take "too much" time to scrap the rings system just to make a more involved mmorpg.
-Class system would restrict character customobility.

Rings:

Pros:

- A rings system would be simple, but also a new idea brought into the multiplayer domain.
- Less bandwidth and server space needed to create
-Less work, and a lot less stress.

Cons:

- Since it's simple, users might not be playing it for long.
- Though a "new" idea, it might not be received well by Gaia's userbase.
- The animations for the rings might look spectacular, but the avatars themselves might have sup-par "ring activation" animations, which is generally less appealing to the eye.

Now, before I let this thread be posted in I want this to be said, and I want it to be very clear:

The Weapons/armor system, while very plausible, is not going to happen because of Gaia's limited budget. (I have seen other badass RPG games made on a small 0-dollar budget, but I would rather not get another debate going.)

The Rings system is being implemented because it was the easiest to do.

While not everybody agrees with this choice, but again, we don't need another debate going on.

DISCUSS:

These pros and cons.

Questionable Bunny

11,750 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
thanks for digging and reposting used arguements.

The flame war was dead..and you brought it back up.

thanks stare
The Undead Suitor

thanks stare

No, actually.

That kind of hostility in your post is what starts flame-wars.

Aged Informer

A Pro of Rings and Con for Weapons in:
The Parasol Paradox.

User ImageUser ImageThe name is take from the Angelic and Nitmare Parasols (left to right). Both Parasols see use as surrogate shields, visually, on Gaia Avatars. If you assign them abilities based on what they are you end up voiding their use as shields. How many umbrellas have you seen that can stop a sword? However if you assign them values as if they were shields you have now voided their use as actual open parasols.

User ImageUser ImageWhile the Parasol Paradox is not as clear with other items it does exist. For example, the combination of Demon Bow and sheathed Ancient Katana can visual make the appearance of the Avatar holding a Spear or Lance(left). Assigning values to either the Demon Bow or Ancient Katana void this as an option for Battle Avatars. This is also true of a Naginata look(right).

The solution to the Parasol Paradox was to create a set of swappable abilities and allow users to assign those that best fit their look.

Questionable Bunny

11,750 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Altarius Version Two
The Undead Suitor

thanks stare

No, actually.

That kind of hostility in your post is what starts flame-wars.

go through the forum and acutally look at other threads and see theyre answers for the ring debate..theyre the same
I would ask you to sticky this but we all know how people dont read stickies..
they should give you a quiz with the answers in the stickies before they let you in this sub-forum XD...
There was a flame war, where was there a flame war?

Okay I've tried to send the strawmen down in flames, but that's simply part of debate, and being on the loosing end isn't being flamed.
cool cool cool cool Eae moçada me add...
Eu conheço um esquema q num roba num eh chiter nem nada eh um meio legal de ganhaer dolares e assim por diante passar pra o gaia como cash...
Quem qser falar mais comigo arespeito disto eh so me add ou post ok..

Obs: Se qser dar trad'es podemos fazer negocios...

Tricky Treasure

As I've said before, I really don't believe it has anything to do with budget, or time-constraints, or being more-or-less forced into a corner and using rings as a last ditch. It was a conscious and much thought-out decision by the development team (who have what, 20-30 years of making games between them?) because the alternative (weapons and armour) posed too many problems with Gaia's existing structure.

I think Fates thread and Brasten's Parasol dealie really sum it up better than I could.

7,100 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
Weapons:

Pros:

- The depth of the game would have more gaians playing for a longer period of time.
Is that a good thing?

-The animations, although they would take some time to implement, would make the user feel as if their avatar was actually an adventurer.
Exploring makes me feel like an adventurer,
The gaian world is massively fantasy bassed...I don't think these cons are too good...

Cons:
-It would take alot of work to rework every single item into an avatar's animation.
-It would take "too much" time to scrap the rings system just to make a more involved mmorpg.

Rings:

Pros:

- A rings system would be simple, but also a new idea brought into the multiplayer domain.

Cons:

Gaia is simple, and I've been on for 5 years...
I'll have to play it to see.
- The animations for the rings might look spectacular, but the avatars themselves might have sup-par "ring activation" animations, which is generally less appealing to the eye.
Beats text.
If there's going to be a battle system, I believe the weapons should be cheaper! I mean comon' when I look at the price of the swords they are like over 260k! X(

They should lower the prices and they should sell weapons in shops! *points finger in the air*

However I'll be looking forward to this and believe that the gaia won't be crappy anymore!

7,100 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
DecemberFury
If there's going to be a battle system, I believe the weapons should be cheaper! I mean comon' when I look at the price of the swords they are like over 260k! X(

They should lower the prices and they should sell weapons in shops! *points finger in the air*

However I'll be looking forward to this and believe that the gaia won't be crappy anymore!

Read the stickies and you will see that you fight with rings, not only that, you get 2 when you begin, and you get more as you battle.

6,950 Points
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
Altarius Version Two
I'm sick and tired of everyone being nubsicles in this forum, so I'm going to list the unbiased pros and cons of both battle systems, and why the devs probably took the easier root than the more "satisfying" one.

Weapons:

Pros:

Cons:

Rings:

Pros:

Cons:

Now, before I let this thread be posted in I want this to be said, and I want it to be very clear:

The Weapons/armor system, while very plausible, is not going to happen because of Gaia's limited budget. (I have seen other badass RPG games made on a small 0-dollar budget, but I would rather not get another debate going.)

The Rings system is being implemented because it was the easiest to do.

While not everybody agrees with this choice, but again, we don't need another debate going on.

DISCUSS:

These pros and cons.

Sorry, but your pros and cons are too opinion based. stare

7,100 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
Yuki_Aiko

Sorry, but your pros and cons are too opinion based. stare

3nodding Thats what I thought.
DecemberFury

considering that swords are here in gaia for cosmetic purposes only, it shouldn't be a big deal to not have one. if you really want to get your hands on one, save up like I did, go fishing like your life depends on it or something.
as for the pros and cons, considering that the rings will be easyer to create, one of the pros could arguably be that the selection of actual weapons is much much better, I don't know exactly how many rings there are going to be, but collecting a wide variety of them will be a personal priority of mine because it'll be something you can't get much of a head start on, everyone who is currently part of gaia will have an equal shot at the start. its true that with the marketplace you COULD just buy up rings, I think that the demand would be so high and the supply so low that it wouldn't work out so well for the buyers

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff