Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Image by Taki Okuda

Welcome to the USPT's Xmas 2011 Hangout and Event Thread! Chat about everything related to your favorite winter holiday and Gaia's Xmas event! What holiday do you celebrate? What kind of traditions do you have around this time of year? What's your favorite thing to do during the holidays?

This thread is the event hangout/discussion spinoff thread from the original +USPT+ Unofficial Shy People Thread. Consider this your literate haven for all of us who want to chat and meet new people in a warm, welcoming environment!

As usual, let's go over the ground rules:

DA RULES

Your Mom
Some Simple Rules

~No bumping, please. We've lived this long without them, we don't suddenly need your helping, bumping hand~
~No begging for gold or items~
~Please PLEASE be respectful of other thread-goers~
~Enjoy yourself, or frankly, get out (lol hypocrisy)~
~No spamming~

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
XMAS 2011: THE CAROL OF OLD PETE EVENT HOW TO

This year's holiday event is a gold sink!

Gaians participate in the event by donating gold or items via the Event page to help Old Pete fund his wish to thank all the kindly NPCs that have helped him in the past.

Goodies are awarded when users reach certain milestones with their donations! So far one holiday-themed Alchemy ingredient is awarded with every 10 items or every 5,000 gold donated to Old Pete.

What lies ahead when Gaians fill the donation quota for each NPC remains to be seen!

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
EVENT ITEMS
Credit: Winter Hue's 2k11 Caroling & 12 Days of Gaia Items + Holiday NPC Outfits Thread

2k11 Caroling Items
User Image Spirited 2k11 Caroling Cap
User Image Spirited 2k11 Merry Mittens
User Image Spirited 2k11 Puffy Shirt
User Image Spirited 2k11 Puffy Pants
User Image Spirited 2k11 Merry Boots
User Image Spirited 2k11 Candy Cane Capelet
User Image Spirited 2k11 Candy Cane Lantern

12 Days of Gaia Items
Day 12 User Image Mistletoe Headband
Day 11 User Image Sugarplum Jingle Brooch
Day 10 User Image Gifted Giftwrap Hat
Day 9 User Image Frosted Holiday Cake
Day 8 User Image Steaming Mug of Cocoa
Day 7 User Image Perfect Present
Day 6 User Image Rocky Ranger BB Gun
Day 5 User Image Sugarplum Jingle Hairpin
Day 4 User Image Summon Gingerbread Fluff
Day 3 User Image Gilded Sleigh Skates
Day 2 User Image Tiered Tinsel Dress
Day1 User Image Kitten Star Tree Topper

Event Prizes
Ian - User Image Xmas 2k11 Event Ol' Pete's Sweater
Rina - User Image Cookie Crumbs
Liam - User Image Fresh Nog
Diedrich - User Image 2k11 Xmas Event Festive Antlers
Vanessa - User Image Present Bow
Logan - User Image Pine Needles
Nicolae - User Image Xmas 2k11 Event Carl Slippers
Sam - User Image Candy Cane Powder
Bludeau - User Image Rudolph's Snot

Alchemy Ingredients
Appears to be awarded for every 10 items or every 5,000 gold you donate.

User Image Broken Ornament
User Image Fresh Nog
User Image Candy Cane Powder
User Image Tinsel
User Image Cookie Crumbs
User Image Pine Needles
User Image Present Bow
User Image Rudolph's Snot

User Image Gary's Island Adventure Formula - Obtainable from the Tree House for 12 Wing Stickers.
User Image Gary's Island Adventure - Obtainable by combining the formula with 10 each of the holiday Alchemy components.

Staff Ornaments
Ornaments for your Gaia Towns House are obtained from visiting the profiles of various Gaia devs and clicking the Diedrich icon. The entire list can be found here: Staff Ornaments Item List. Special thanks to Winter Hue, uwb, and Jennivieve for the heads up!

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Chocolat Chaud à la Pierre Hermé
From It Must've Been Something I Ate, by Jeffrey Steingarten

Ingredients:

2 1/4 cups whole milk
1/4 cup bottled still water
1/4 cup (generous) superfine granulated sugar
1 100 gram bar (3.5 ounces) dark bittersweet chocolate, Scharffen Berger, Valrhona, or Lindt (see note, below), finely sliced with a serrated bread knife
1/4 cup (1 ounce or 28 gram) cocoa powder, loosely packed, preferably Valrhona

Instructions:

In a 2-quart saucepan, stir together the milk, water, and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Add the chopped chocolate and the cocoa and bring to a boil again, whisking until the chocolate and cocoa are dissolved and the mixture has thickened. Reduce the heat to very low.

Blend for 5 minutes with an immersion mixer or whirl the hot chocolate in a standard blender for half a minute, until thick and foamy.

Yield: Four 6-ounce cups of hot chocolate.

Jefferey Steingarten's Note: I use a dark chocolate containing close to 70 percent cocoa, though Lindt bittersweet also works just fine. The Mayans and the Aztecs considered the froth the best part. Today, five minutes with an immersion mixer or a blender accomplishes what a half hour of beating did long ago.

**Sai's note:** You'll probably notice that this recipe is fussy and expensive. Yes, by all means make it this way to the tee to have an absolutely divine cup of hot chocolate, but to the normal Gaian, using bottled water and sawing your estate single origin chocolate with a serrated bread knife is probably a little TOO hoity toity.
Here's an easy way to make a fantastic cup of hot chocolate without the fuss. It's the same basic principle as Monsieur Hermé's or Mr. Steingarten's, but without the frou.

Simply put milk into a heavy sauce pan. 2% is fine, use whole if you want something approaching milkshake rich, I would avoid skim. Water is better than skim. Skim milk is for people who like to punish themselves and don't really like to eat. Soy milk is also okay, as is water which is the "European" way. I personally use a mix of milk and water.

Set milk on the stove top and let it come to a gentle boil. Turn heat to low and add good quality chocolate and cocoa chopped fine. Smaller, thinner pieces will melt easier and more evenly. Whisk vigorously until the chocolate has melted and the mixture has become smooth. Add sugar to taste. Cover and let steep for 5 minutes. Pour into mugs and enjoy with your favorite toppings!

You can pour the hot milk and chocolate mixture into a blender or a bullet mixer if you want to get the mixture even smoother and frothier, but its not strictly necessary. If you do, be careful! Boiling milk in a blender is nothing to mess with!

If you don't want to spring for good quality cocoa and chocolate, using this method over the "pour powder into cup of hot water and stir" method will still yield a better tasting cup. But I highly encourage people to try making hot chocolate with real chocolate and cocoa powder instead of Swiss Miss some time!

9,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Contributor 150
It's beginning to look like [insert winter holiday of choice]!

Shameless Stalker

Well I definitely fit into the shy people requirement.

Hey guys.

9,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Contributor 150
Wyrn
Well I definitely fit into the shy people requirement.

Hey guys.
Hi! Your avatar is very nice. o: How are you today?

Shameless Stalker

Taki Okuda
Hi! Your avatar is very nice. o: How are you today?

Thanks.

I'm doing well. I just saw the new Sherlock Homes Movie.

9,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Contributor 150
Ah that's right. It just came out. I need to see it, since I adored the first one.

Did you like it?

Shameless Stalker

That is a interesting question for this one. Lot less soul searching and the inner mechanisms of Sherlock which is part of why I really liked the first one. I also found the random fanservice for the Sherlock/Watson fans really quite annoying. but all in all hilarious and entertaining.

Hallowed Elder

9,950 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Emi is reading a chapter book all on her own. I want to make a certificate for her to hang in her room when she finishes it, since that's a pretty big accomplishment. (For the record, the book is Junie B., First Grader: Boss of Lunch).

Cluttered Fatcat

9,250 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Market Browser 100
Whoo! A place for shy people!

(that doesn't sound very shy, does it?)

Hallowed Elder

9,950 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Lockany
Whoo! A place for shy people!

(that doesn't sound very shy, does it?)

You'd be surprised! Over the years, our main thread has over 21,000 pages. Most of them even have good bits of conversation on them.

9,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Contributor 150
Lilikka
Emi is reading a chapter book all on her own. I want to make a certificate for her to hang in her room when she finishes it, since that's a pretty big accomplishment. (For the record, the book is Junie B., First Grader: Boss of Lunch).
Go Emi!!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces