Welcome to Gaia! ::

User Image

Welcome to Red Pen.

In this shop I am offering up my editing skills for some gold – not much so don’t worry. My goal is to help as many people with their editing needs as I can. Upon request, I can even give some review and critique.

Here are some of the things I can edit for you:

Chapters
      Short Stories
      Fan Fiction
      Role Play Posts
      Essays

I’m not all that confident with my poetry, since that is something I have not done myself in a very long time. In the future it may be an options, but sadly, at this time, it is not. Also, something to kiss in mind; I’m better with fiction than I am non-fiction. However, I will still work on the latter for you without fuss.
User Image

Be kind and courteous, and above all else, follow the TOS.

When you order, please fill out the order form completely, or else I can’t work with you.

It’s your job to tell me how deep you want me to go. If you just want a basic spelling, grammar and typo check, I can do that. If you want a deeper review and critique, I can do that as well.

Please send a trade when you submit your order.

If you see an error on the front page, please point it out to me. However, don’t be a d**k about it. No one likes an a*****e.

When you order please send it to this account through PM. That way, you privacy is upheld, and I don’t lose your post among the others.

If for some reason I cannot complete your order, I will let you know and I will cancel the trade. I promise not to jerk you around, and let you know immediately if there is something wrong.

There are times that I may contact you about a passage, to see how you want it handled. I find it goes smoother that way. Don’t worry; I won’t be at knocking at your door every time I find something.

All writing is charged by the page, with Times New Roman, 12 point font. Don’t think you can get a cheaper price by making your font smaller, because it won’t fly. I can change the s**t in my word processor.

Our conversation and document transfer will occur over email. I’ll give you mine, and you give me yours. We will not be conducting business over Gaia. No copy-pasting into a PM. It’s easier with a document exchange, trust me.

Keep in mind that I am by no means perfect at this. I don't have a degree in English, and am offering peer review more than anything. I make mistakes, miss stuff, but will try my best. In the end it is up to you to make the final decision in what stays, what changes and what goes.

This section is subject to change.

That should be it for the guidelines. I apologize if sometimes I can be a bit wordy. It’s one of my flaws. Anyway, onto the next topic!
User Image

[7/19/12] Home and taking orders.

[6/16/12] I leave the country on the 19th, so I may be really slow and inefficient while I'm away. Any last minute requests will have to be in by tomorrow. Monday at the latest. Anything after that, I may not get to you in a short period of time. I'll return on July 18th, and will have plenty of time for editing until I start school again at the end of September. Hope you're all doing well.

[6/6/12] I have been absent for a while, and I apologize for that. Now that school is ending and I have some free time, I'm looking to open this back up. My schedule might not be perfect yet, for I am going out of the country on the 19th, but I will try my best.

[4/3/12] I have started school again. My editing might take a little longer than usual, until I get back into the swing of things. I'll let you know if there are any delays.

[3/27/12] I am back from my trip and ready to rock!

[3/23/12] I'll be out of town for the next couple of days, returning Tuesday evening. So, if you don't hear from me for a little while, that's why.

[3/9/12] I have a trading pass now! And my first customer. Made an adjustment to the Guidelines page. That's about it.

[3/5/12] The shop has opened. However, because this account it new and created for the purpose of this shop, I don't have a trading pass yet, I don't think. So, all trades will have to wait a few days (however long it takes). Thank you for your patience.
User Image

Alright, I’m not entirely sure how to go about samples for this sort of shop. With art shops, you just post some art. I suppose I might as well post for you a story that I did, so you can see that I at least write well. Also, I’ll show you a bit of editing I did. If you don’t want to read the story, go ahead and scroll down. The editing part will be shorter, promise.

Writing Sample

I begin the ritual, picking up each orange bottle with a methodical wariness. I count each pill as it falls into my hand, of kind, how many of each, and then again the total number. I count the bottles as I set each back onto the counter, line them up and take a step back.

I remember the number of pills my grandparents would take; various miracles for bone loss, memory, vision. With all of my anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, anti-anxieties, anti-insomnias – anti-life, anti-human – I wish there was a single vitamin in the line of prescription orange. They’re supposed to make me live easier, not be free of the ghosts, but able to deal with them like a normal person.

I’m beginning to hate the word ‘normal’, with how much I hear it now. Before it was just a word, a comparison used to judge things that didn’t fit. Now that I am one, I resent the word. I resent what it means and what it has made me.

I step to the counter again and touch each of the bottles. My hand hesitates, almost picks one up. The label talks of sleeping pills, ones I know would have a lasting effect if I took too many, and I am tempted, tempted to sleep eternally.

I withdraw, as I always do, and I investigate the other things on the counter. A basket of fruit sits in the middle that I haven’t touched; the fruit is starting to go bad but I can’t make myself throw it away. A toaster, the master of my meals, sits at the left of the basket and boasts of a breakfast on the ‘morrow, if I can make myself eat anything at all. To the right, in the shadow of my miracle cures, sit a few bottles without my name, boasting orange, but not my perversions of the mind. I reach out and pick one up, run my finger over the name there and say it quietly to myself, as if trying to remember some distant memory.

“William…”

My eyes close and I remember the news flash, the plane crash and the headline ‘No Survivors!’ I feel myself shaking again and set the bottle down, stepping back in an effort to withdraw from the memories. My psychiatrist says to not dwell, but I don’t think she understands.

I was the only one who called him William. He was always Bill, the party man, the fast driver, the smart-aleck everyone had as their friend. He was beautiful and kind and chose me from the crowd like a prized pig. Took my hand and loved me, like I had never thought possible.

It had been a year like that, with him -- of romance and gentleness that you only see in stories. He had migraines and took prescriptions for them. He wore glasses and never contacts. Made fun of my straight-laced ways and tickled me from behind when I got too serious.

My hand fumbled over the counter as I feel the darkness come and I fight against the blackout, like a thick velvet curtain dropping after a theatrical show. I feel something curved and round, and I manage to pull back into my kitchen, one hand still grasping my pills and then other resting on a small, cellophane wrapped item.

A small candy cane, like the kind kids get at school from their teachers on Christmas; the kind that are enough for a treat but not enough to get amped-up on sugar; the kind that are two stuck together, individually wrapped and impossible to separate so you have to eat both.

I know I should throw it away, but, like the fruit he always kept, I can’t make myself.
He would buy these in bulk after the holidays and munch on one every day, leaving it on the counter with his medicines so he wouldn’t forget. He had said that they were the surest way to a long life, and peppermint candy canes would make him live forever. He promised.

He was wrong. He was wrong about so many things, broke so many promises that he made without a thought. Light things to ease me from my worries and get a smile on my lips, ones that were always too thin but he enjoyed kissing anyway. Sometimes I wonder if he was being punished by some god, jealous of him, for making such promises.

“You should stop worrying, Bobby,” he had said, patting my cheek and picking up a suitcase. “It’s just a quick flight to see my ‘rents and then I’ll be home, just like always. Every time you worry, Bobby, and every time I come back. I promise I’ll come back. I always promise and I always do… It isn’t as though the plane will crash.”

I pick up the glass of water waiting for me and take the pills I have been clutching in my hand. They go down like something alive, trying to come back up, and for a moment I feel as if I’m going to vomit. It passes and I sigh, looking over the lined bottles and the rotting fruit and the candy cane, and don’t touch any of it. I set the glass down and move to leave the kitchen, towards the bed I now share with no one, in a room I keep dark so I can’t look at the pictures of us on the wall.

I go to the therapy, to forget him. I try to date again, to forget him. I take pills, to forget him.

But I can’t forget him. I can’t forget the man who whispered things in my ear late at night. I can’t forget the man who sent me roses at work. I can’t forget the man whose friends said I was wrong for him, the ones who said it wouldn’t work. I can’t forget the man who chose me over everyone. I can’t forget the man who loved me for who I was, when no one else would.

I can’t forget the man who said he would come back. I can’t forget the man who never will.

William.

Editing Sample

The TV in the living room flickered, casting an eerie glow over the grizzly scene the child had stumbled upon. The light blue walls were splattered with crimson, the usually neat order of furniture in the room was destroyed and scattered around.
Footfalls squishing in fresh blood, the child dropped its bear and went over to the still forms of its parents and siblings. Climbing onto the couch the child gently shook the mother first, trying to rouse her, all in vain. It gently touched the gaping wound where her neck used to be. Pulling its hand back, the child gently rubbed its fingertips together, smearing the gore.

Notice how I changed the color on some of the text? When I make a correction, I’ll change the text color to let you know there has been a change. That way you don’t have to hunt through the document looking for it. Neat, huh?
User Image

Alright, down to the nitty-gritty. Prices. There are several ways I want to go about this.

Either you pay me a rate of 1,000g per page, or we can do a trade. Depending on the writing you want me to edit, and the length, we can do several things . You could:

Give me artwork of an avatar or OC
      Edit writing of mine that is comparable in length
      Trade me items worth at least as much as my rate
      Do some graphics for my shop

All the trade items are to be discussed before either of us gets started. You will give me samples, if it is editing, art or shop graphics. Indicate what you want in the form and we can get started.

Here are the options for avatar art and OC art:

The OC's can be found here.

Here are the avatars:

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image
User Image

Here is the ordering form. Please fill it out to the best of your ability and PM it to this account. If you have questions, PM me or post in the thread. Thank you.

[b]Red Pen Order Form[/b]

What do you want me to edit? (Check all that apply)
[list]
[ ] Chapter(s)
[ ] Short Story
[ ] Fan Fiction
[ ] Role Play Post
[ ] Essay
[/list]

How much editing do you want? (Check all that apply)
[list]
[ ]Typos, grammar, spelling
[ ]Review and Critique
[/list]

Payment Method?
[list]
[ ] Gold
[ ] Items
[ ] Art
[ ] Editing
[ ] Graphics
Samples, if any:
[/list]

Deadline:

Additional Information:

Here is what the form will look like:

Red Pen Order Form

What do you want me to edit? (Check all that apply)

[ ] Chapter(s)
    [ ] Short Story
    [ ] Fan Fiction
    [ ] Role Play Post
    [ ] Essay

How much editing do you want? (Check all that apply)

[ ]Typos, grammar, spelling
    [ ]Review and Critique

Payment Method?

[ ] Gold
    [ ] Items
    [ ] Art
    [ ] Editing
    [ ] Graphics
    Samples, if any:

Deadline:

Additional Information:
User Image

Here are the banners out:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

[url=http://tinyurl.com/7kndeba][IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/set9gn.jpg[/IMG][/url]

[url=http://tinyurl.com/7kndeba][IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/mskn7s.gif[/IMG][/url]

[url=http://tinyurl.com/7kndeba][IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/xlle1g.gif[/IMG][/url]

Here are the banners in:

User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff