Welcome to Gaia! ::

Penny for your thoughts...

I don't participate in polls 0.11111111111111 11.1% [ 26 ]
My thoughts cost $5 0.55555555555556 55.6% [ 130 ]
... thought? What's this? 0.10683760683761 10.7% [ 25 ]
Derka derka 0.22649572649573 22.6% [ 53 ]
Total Votes:[ 234 ]
<< < 1 2 ... 54 55 56 57 58 >

wow... That's just... wow... I must must must must go look at that.

*is gone*
serpenteyes
wow... That's just... wow... I must must must must go look at that.

*is gone*

/freak.
*glomps Atreas*

X3
*comes back*

That's just sick and twisted. Just... just... man... I'd smack some sense into those girls if I didn't think it would break them in half.
I got into GA Tech!!
Way to go, Yashsa! heart Great job!

(By the way, I've actually changed my mind. I'm going to try and elaborate on the distinctive characteristics found in what we consider 'classic novels' and make predictions on the next generation of classics.)
hiriyou
Way to go, Yashsa! heart Great job!

(By the way, I've actually changed my mind. I'm going to try and elaborate on the distinctive characteristics found in what we consider 'classic novels' and make predictions on the next generation of classics.)

So the essence of your paper is going to consist of why the people decided, "Hey! This book is important. It sucks, but it's important." Don't get me wrong. I love classics. But some of them should be shot.

On Upcoming Classics:

Fantasy's gotta be there somewhere. The world will shine brighter when Tolkien is studied in school as a classic author. (No, it hasn't happened yet.)
Atreas
On Upcoming Classics:

Fantasy's gotta be there somewhere. The world will shine brighter when Tolkien is studied in school as a classic author. (No, it hasn't happened yet.)
I know it hasn't. sad In fact, I was having a discussion with my English teacher on classics taught in high school and why and the fact that only periodic general fiction concerning growing up and daily life are the classics studied. Even though we have what we consider to be a wider range of classics such as Tolkien, Asimov, and Lewis. There are only two books which did not relate to this that I can remember: Fahrenheit 451 (11th grade) and The Last Book in the Universe (7th).

But anyways, that conversation is what spurred her to tell me about her idea for a senior project. And it just stuck in my mind that I just kept wanting to come to it.
Sadly, the classics will probably remain what they are: studies that reflect the lifestyle of the time. Equally as sad is the fact that an elf and a dwarf serve no terrapolitical purpose in Tolkien's fictional world.
I'm sorry if someone already asked this question, but when does this contest end? I read the first post, but didn't find it anywhere.
It already has.
I most heartily agree that the classics should be changed/updated. I don't think the daily-life stuff is really a very good representation. It is on the whole daily aspect I suppose, but the other stuff gets more at the heart of the period and the mind, rather than just what Betty did when she went to the store.
So then, from the information we have gathered:

To achieve literary immortality, one must

A: Write about everyday life in their own, respective style,
B: Never have it published or become famous while alive,
C: Leave it in a place to be discovered by someone years later,
D: Have some sort of misplaced trauma or drug addiction,
E: Not spend money wisely, and, lastly,
F: One must die.

There you have it. When you meet all those requirements, you get to be famous, too!
Has anyone been able to contact LTL?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces