Welcome to Gaia! ::

Good news everyone!

I stumbled upon a modest gaian fortune (my greatest victory in life) but looking fantastic doesn't make me happy.

Realizing that, like any human being, I could die any day now and this ridiculous amount of gold would go to waste... I want the writing community to have it! But you have to earn it first. You must submit an entry in this contest.

The theme of this contest is DARK FICTION short stories.

(off the top of my head...monsters, mysteries, fairy tales, steam-punk, sci fi, fantasies, reveries, nightmares, paranormal, surreal, zombies, alternate history, deceptions, shadows, romance, bizarro, pulp, goth... or just take a perfectly normal concept and darken it. It can be as clean or graphic as you need it to be. Also, dark doesn't rule out humor and lightheartedness.)

That's a purposely vague theme so as to exclude very few of your ideas. Nearly any short story will qualify. The more mythical and gritty, the better.

Submit your story by January 30th. I'll publicly announce winners the first week of February, in all likelihood.

Minimum word count: 600
Maximum word count: Don't worry about it.

The reason you should enter:

- 1st place: 50k
- 2nd place: 30k
- 3rd place: 25k
- Entering a legitimate story submission that has a satisfying beginning, middle and end: 10k

-Plus other special awards given out for whatever I can think of.

The Guide to Winning this:

1. Follow the yellow brick road Gaia's Rules and Guidelines.

2. No Plagiarizing. This isn't a college term paper due tomorrow. I want to reward you because you're awesome and creative. So write your own story and be honored for it.

3. Private Message me your entry. Don't post your story on this forum because other people might see it your fiction might be extemely dark.

4.Only one entry per soul.

5. No fan fiction please, unless you want me to view it as a complete standalone piece with no previous knowledge of the universe its from.

6. No vampires. Any other creature/monster, especially if its not a werewolf (which is still acceptable) either, is extremely extremely extremely welcome.

7. Be nice to everyone in here. Even if its not your style. Treat your fellow writers as if they are rational emotional humans who are assaulted with crippling insanity and trauma throughout their life just like everyone else. If conversations get nasty I will cave in the ceiling of this thread, forever burying our bodies and my vast treasures.

I am a contest host virgin and I probably left important details out.
If you have any questions or are unclear about the guidelines, ask me and let me know!

If you have everything you need, start weaving your dreams to me
Participants:
Indigodust
TheLoudMute
Sin of the Night
Sensei Ruinz
Riva Squall
(X) rafieraf1232
I luvers Chu
Mistress Zipper
Ethereal Synchonicity
iChubbieBunnie
MadBlossom Torsorosy
(X) xXLapineGalloiseXx
Edgecrusher Asakuun
xNuclearWonderlandx
(X) luninar
(X) 123FROOTLOOP-_-
(X) Ethereal Synchonicity
(X) Pinkie-loves-Pokey
(X)xx______mistarr f u z z
(X)Thecrazymusicgirl
(X)Jamison13642
(X)Kurosakibutt

Winners:
I'm finding the influx of darker themed contests refreshing. I just might have to participate in this one though, it's vague enough to give me plenty of options for storyline twists. ^_^
Indigodust
I'm finding the influx of darker themed contests refreshing. I just might have to participate in this one though, it's vague enough to give me plenty of options for storyline twists. ^_^

Rule 8: absolutely no storyline twists!

Kidding of course smile I do hope you'll decide to enter. You have good diction.
Kalidah
Indigodust

Rule 8: absolutely no storyline twists!

Kidding of course smile I do hope you'll decide to enter. You have good diction.

Thank you ^_^ I think this may be just the thing to kick start my creativity again too. I hate getting into the holiday family drama rut and losing my writing momentum. Besides, with such a nice, wide open premise to play with, I think my sleeping muse can be kick started into giving me some good old fashioned darksome inspiration.

5,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Friendly 100
Well, this sounds all kinds of awesome! I just may have to come out of my gaia slump and enter this thing!

Tiny Werewolf

7,000 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Entrepreneur 150
May I join?

Interesting Genius

6,300 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Autobiographer 200
TheLoudMute
Well, this sounds all kinds of awesome! I just may have to come out of my gaia slump and enter this thing!

It would be great if you and your enthusiastic self were to enter! biggrin
Sin of the Night
May I join?

3nodding Absolutely, I look forward to your entry!
Sensei Ruinz
I'll join

Wicked smile I'll look forward to your entry!

Tiny Werewolf

7,000 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Entrepreneur 150
yays, so do you want the story from the asylum or the forest?
Sin of the Night

That is a tough question >< Theyre both classic, cant go wrong with either.

Asylums have little room for happy endings or hope. Seems like they always have patients who arent nearly as psychologically degraded as the orderlies or family that checked them in.
And forests are wild cards. They could be harboring anything with an equal chance to be beautiful or sinister.

If I were held at knife-point and asked this question, by personal preference, I would choose your story from the forest.

Tiny Werewolf

7,000 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Entrepreneur 150
Kalidah
Sin of the Night

That is a tough question >< Theyre both classic, cant go wrong with either.

Asylums have little room for happy endings or hope. Seems like they always have patients who arent nearly as psychologically degraded as the orderlies or family that checked them in.
And forests are wild cards. They could be harboring anything with an equal chance to be beautiful or sinister.

If I were held at knife-point and asked this question, by personal preference, I would choose your story from the forest.

Fair choice, The Asylum is a side story but stands well on it's own, also a death story.
The forest one has more twisted bits though smile
Indigodust

Thank you ^_^ I think this may be just the thing to kick start my creativity again too. I hate getting into the holiday family drama rut and losing my writing momentum. Besides, with such a nice, wide open premise to play with, I think my sleeping muse can be kick started into giving me some good old fashioned darksome inspiration.

I know just what you mean. Its over and done with now. Everybody can drag their imaginations back out from under their beds.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff