Welcome to Gaia! ::

Questionable Prophet

Endrael

Well, I guess I'll have to change that, then.

Once I get back into the habit of writing, anyway. sweatdrop
User Image

Yay!
*throws confetti*
ooohhh. shiny.

Questionable Cat

32,450 Points
  • Enemy of the Goat 25
  • Festive Eye 50
  • Tree's the Season 100
I think the WF is having a Renaissance! There's things being discussed instead of having all the newbs snarked right back out again. Whoot.

AurinJade's Wife

haha, no kidding.
    it's good to see things a bit more friendly here.

i think i should do myself a favor and read through all the threads in the links list.
    need a fresh outlook on writing.

Codger

Muffers

haha, no kidding.
    it's good to see things a bit more friendly here.

i think i should do myself a favor and read through all the threads in the links list.
    need a fresh outlook on writing.

That is a lot of reading. Some of the threads are a dozen pages or more of discussion.

Questionable Cat

32,450 Points
  • Enemy of the Goat 25
  • Festive Eye 50
  • Tree's the Season 100
Yar. Dialogue is hard, but prose is harder. Why must it be so hard to express an idea?

AurinJade's Wife

Endrael:
    the end result is worth it, i believe.
    and i'm not going to lie: i skim.
    >.>;

Ace:
    - pat -
    i personally find dialogue the bane of my existence.
    straight prose is easier to me, but i'm long-winded.

also, what happened to your original account?

Codger

Muffers

Endrael:
    the end result is worth it, i believe.
    and i'm not going to lie: i skim.

Skimming is actually common practice when reading stuff online. People look for key words and key phrases first to see if it's what they're looking for, then read second if it is.

Questionable Cat

32,450 Points
  • Enemy of the Goat 25
  • Festive Eye 50
  • Tree's the Season 100
Muffers: Long story short, I got hacked. This is my original account, as I managed to catch the problem and report within an hour or two. (Luckily I had another account at the time. For a while I went with just the one.) The mod that handled my case changed the account's name by adding a 2 for "safety reason" and I haven't touched it since. I do think the hacker changed my account's name while they had control of it, so I guess I can understand why.

4,200 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Peek a boo.
and I find prose and dialogue equally difficult, but for opposite reasons: I am far too wordy in dialogue (because it is easy), and far too criptic in prose (because I am lazy).
Technically, I find it all very easy to write, it's just the damn revision that eats my soul.

Also, in reply to the peekaboo:
*childish squeal of delight*
and in response to the silence in here...
*childish shin kicking because we were playing peekaboo and you had no right to run away...*

Codger

My only problem with dialogue is making each speaker read differently than the other characters.

Questionable Cat

32,450 Points
  • Enemy of the Goat 25
  • Festive Eye 50
  • Tree's the Season 100
Hey, I didn't do anything. I never play peekaboo. Not unless it involves shotguns.
Endrael
My only problem with dialogue is making each speaker read differently than the other characters.

I fix this problem by listening to people. I'm a Starbucks barista and I can have, in the course of an eight hour shift, almost two hundred different customers all with different accents and ways of phrasing their words. Creative grammar and a bit of accent-tweaking helps me distinguish between my characters when writing in dialogue.

And I have one character who doesn't say anything unless he can figure out how to say it in not only Elizabethan English, but also a rhyming couplet. He's fun to write dialogue for.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff