Welcome to Gaia! ::

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
I'm stuck on a nearly finished manga script. My mind keeps debating over whether these two people who meet in a bar are both important characters, or if one should just be some random stranger (he first was always planned to be a major character).

I don't want to look stupid by having pointless cameos like in the Star Wars prequels. And I don't want things to look like in MPL:FIM, where someone goes 'Oh yeah, I totally knew and have a relationship with the other main character and I never told anyone for no reason.'

If they are both main characters, this could lead to some world/character building and make more sense (given her dialog), but I feel it risk making the world seem smaller and more contrived.

How do I choose?

Gnarwhalrus's Comrade

Questionable Wrangler

If the meeting itself isn't significant to the story than drop it.
What exactly does this meeting do in the story? Is it back story told to someone else within the story, or does it happen during the story?

If its back story, and it doesn't impact the story all that much, then flip a coin.

If it happens during the story, then ask questions about it until you find your answer. Why are they in that place? Do they live there or are there on business or visiting someone or any other reason? Why would they start up a conversation with someone they don't know (if they don't know each other of course)? Are they going anywhere in particular? Do the characters have any goals that might bring them together in the same place and get them to work with one another? You get the idea I hope.

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Benii B

Not sure why it wouldn't be important. Or how that helps me if it is.

Turnilk
What exactly does this meeting do in the story?If it happens during the story, then ask questions about it until you find your answer. Why are they in that place? Do they live there or are there on business or visiting someone or any other reason? Why would they start up a conversation with someone they don't know (if they don't know each other of course)? Are they going anywhere in particular? Do the characters have any goals that might bring them together in the same place and get them to work with one another? You get the idea I hope.

Well, this is sort of the problem. I know all those things, expect for if they have coinciding goals (other than just to talk). If they do, however, that's where I start questioning the plan. Is it too contrived or makes the world smaller by everyone knows everyone else? Or do I just need to keep an eye on continuity and remember that these guys met years ago?

8,700 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Go with the idea that sucks the least. That's always the best choice.

Gnarwhalrus's Comrade

Questionable Wrangler

I am The Compendium
Benii B

Not sure why it wouldn't be important. Or how that helps me if it is.

well keep it for now and write it all out. You can review the thing as a whole and then edit it out or keep it.

Blessed Genius

10,475 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Timid 100
Klaark
Go with the idea that sucks the least. That's always the best choice.

I second this.

Premium Gaian

I will say this..I. think it's okay to have pointless cameo characters, as long as the meeting is important and effects things. Like some kind of realization, or it adds some sort of drama to his life, and the cameo character never has to be seen again. Hell though, it is perfectly plausible to bring in an old ex or something that was never mentioned before. Maybe because the relationship was bad for some reason, or even the break up didn't go to well. But if you want to avoid that, then go right ahead. People do talk or meet strangers in a bar, and never see them after they just had an awesome time together hanging out. So I don't see why you couldn't use a little cameo character for something like that if it is important.

But if the little meeting between the two has no point to the plot or story line at all, then don't bother. People hate filler spots. Especially in manga/comics.
I am The Compendium
Turnilk
What exactly does this meeting do in the story?If it happens during the story, then ask questions about it until you find your answer. Why are they in that place? Do they live there or are there on business or visiting someone or any other reason? Why would they start up a conversation with someone they don't know (if they don't know each other of course)? Are they going anywhere in particular? Do the characters have any goals that might bring them together in the same place and get them to work with one another? You get the idea I hope.

Well, this is sort of the problem. I know all those things, expect for if they have coinciding goals (other than just to talk). If they do, however, that's where I start questioning the plan. Is it too contrived or makes the world smaller by everyone knows everyone else? Or do I just need to keep an eye on continuity and remember that these guys met years ago?

So, you need them to start talking to one another, but can't figure out why they would do so? If that is the case, you could try having one ask another for directions (if they don't know one another). Its one way to start a conversation. Or as you mentioned earlier, a bar scene. Bumping into one another then having to work together immediately for some reason could work as well.

Having pretty much all the characters know one another right off is a little odd to me, but it can be used well enough. If you want them to not know the current events in each other's lives they could just be not close, or had a falling out, or just got busy and started ignoring some people in their lives (the last one happens to me all the time).

If there is a job to be done that both have to work on but don't tell each other about it, you could either have one or both be quiet about their work, or they could be under orders not to share any information with anyone else.

And personally, I'd always keep an eye on continuity. I dislike making mistakes, even minor ones, when it comes to the storyline and characters. Bad spelling and grammer don't bother me nearly as much.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff