Welcome to Gaia! ::

I must agree with Missy - Shakespeare's tragedies are by far the most enjoyable of his plays. MacBeth, in particular, holds a special place in my heart. re: his Sonnets, weren't some of them supposedly addressed to the Queen, aka, the Dark Lady?

However, the fact remains that I like Chaucer's work much more; particularly The Canterbury Tales' Wife of Bath's and Miller's Tales.

Opaj has it exactly right; Shakespeare wrote in a stylized version of Modern English (few, if any, people actually SPOKE that way, even in his time, unless they were waxing poetic)...Old English is a separate language, and one which is all but incomprehensible to most people today. If I recall correctly, Chaucer wrote in either Middle English or very early Modern English. Been awhile since my last Chaucer class redface
The question still stands as to who all the poems were written to.

The issue is that some people call "the dark queen" a man. XP Go figure.
Lol, Shakespeare's sonnets were written to another man? XD I knew he was bi, but I didn't know he wrote them to a man.. Very interesting.

Lemony Snicket. Who is that dude? I've never seen any work by him. And what genres does he write under?

Tamora Pierce.. She's a great author. ^^ I've only read a few of her books, they weren't bad.
Atekius
Lol, Shakespeare's sonnets were written to another man? XD I knew he was bi, but I didn't know he wrote them to a man.. Very interesting.

Yeah, it was the Earl of something....only now I can't remember who exactly it was. sweatdrop Apparently alot of really famous poets composed poetry and sonnets for him. He hosted a bit of an "artist's home" thing, where young starving writers were allowed to live in his home, because he liked "reading their work".

More recent historians have come to the conclusion that that wasn't exactly why he let them stay... sweatdrop
Atekius

Lemony Snicket. Who is that dude? I've never seen any work by him. And what genres does he write under?

Tamora Pierce.. She's a great author. ^^ I've only read a few of her books, they weren't bad.

wich ones by Tamora Pierce? Ive read them all...EXEPT THE STUOPID ALANA BOOKS! DIE!.. sweatdrop
Uhmm...their always out at the library and im on three...and I ummm...am a little angry cause i wanna find out what happens.*cough*ahem...
I do not see how you could call Shakespeare a bad writer. You may not have the intelligence to understand his work, but that is no grounds to speak ill of his art. Languages do change, remember.
Wynde
I do not see how you could call Shakespeare a bad writer. You may not have the intelligence to understand his work, but that is no grounds to speak ill of his art. Languages do change, remember.

That's a nice generalization - you think anyone who hates Shakespeare's works can't understand him. rolleyes How quaint.
Wynde

You know, your probably right...But you know what else?...I cant remember...

uhh...

ORANGE FERRETS!YAY!
I like Marlowe's plays better, but Shakespeare's sonnets were fantastic. And not all of his sonnets were written to a man, but most of them were. Amusing tidbit about the sonnets, "The Dark Lady" who is reffered to in several sonnets as a rather evil and foreboding character represents Shakespeare's wife. lol
I respect Shakespeare, but I...well, most of his plots are ripped off from someone else, and his charachters....meh. Don't let me even start on what Stud Romeo and Hamlet are. But I respect him very much for his writing, and regret that I can't understand most of it. sweatdrop
hes ok not that good not that bad
In my opinion, he's horrible biggrin
When he speaks or shoudl I say "writes" i really dont' understand it that much
I really like shakespear, his stories are really fun to go see on stage or to read (yes, it is possible to read a play, u just get kinda lost if u don't pay attention)
Jenx
I respect Shakespeare, but I...well, most of his plots are ripped off from someone else,

True enough, but that can be said of pretty much EVERY writer...people take older legends and stories and shift them around - even Tolkien (whose works i adore) did that...The secret is to do it in new (sometimes) and interesting ways, and Shakespeare did that. He gave the people what they wanted.
He good in his own time, and his own right

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces