Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anxious Noob

9,775 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Overstocked 200
I wrote this short story and would appreciate some critiquing stuff.
Be truthful; you won't hurt me.
Click here to see it

Quotable Conversationalist

8,550 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
It is actually pretty well written. To be blunt, I feel like it's an intro, though, as nothing really happens. There aren't really any epiphanies or any drama. Nothing startling, really, from the point of view of the character. You could probably take it somewhere if you chose.

I can do a more detailed analysis if you like, but I assumed you just wanted an overview. smile

I have to note though, instead of saying 'macabre job' you should say 'profession' or something similar. People don't normally rhyme when they are thinking, and it seems out of character for such a steady, unshakable, routine-driven sort of narrator. And there were a couple other things I noticed reading it, but I don't want to pick it apart or anything. That one just really jumped out at me.

Purified Shounen

tangy_original
I wrote this short story and would appreciate some critiquing stuff.
Be truthful; you won't hurt me.
Click here to see it

Well, you asked for it.

I read it, and I have a couple of questions. Why mention firefighters? I couldn't see any reason for that to be mentioned. It doesn't add to the story, and it really stuck out to me as jarring. If the narrator was a firefighter, then it would make sense. Also, I think more people than you think know that roasting human flesh smells like pork. It's a reason why human is known as "long pig."
One last thing, "J4567" is missing a period at the end of it. It should look like "J4567."

Other than that, it was an interesting read. I'm not the kind of person to read about an undertaker. You have a good style, though a couple of the paragraphs seemed...blocky. They were large, and could have easily been made into two paragraphs. They were large blocks of text, and made it a little difficult to read them correctly. That could just be me, though.

Good luck with your future works.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces