Welcome to Gaia! ::

in some stories i write there are billions of places with exotic names... and ive kind of run out. i need a name for a place that sounds fairy-tale ish and exotic at the same time. please help!!
String random words together and pick out a piece that suits. Or try a fantasy name generator.
When you read other people's books, look at the names and what sounds illicit what feelings. Why do Mordor and Shal Ghoul and other such names make us feel frightened? What specific sounds make you feel a specific way?
Your best bet? Atlases.

I know it sounds dumb, but some countries ((Canada, especially... sweatdrop )) have some really weird/neat/exotic names for cities and things. That's my suggestion.

((I mean, seriously! Killbride, Holyrood, or d***o? Where else can you get place names like that?!))
BlueVyse
When you read other people's books, look at the names and what sounds illicit what feelings. Why do Mordor and Shal Ghoul and other such names make us feel frightened? What specific sounds make you feel a specific way?

I agree, its about sound...and unique qualities that make it feel like it has to fit.
Eh, Missie, i hope that wanst predijuce (sp?) lol. but i dont think anything there will help....it'all sounds more...native or funky, not fantasial... whee
Missie DuCaine
Your best bet? Atlases.

I know it sounds dumb, but some countries ((Canada, especially... sweatdrop )) have some really weird/neat/exotic names for cities and things. That's my suggestion.

((I mean, seriously! Killbride, Holyrood, or d***o? Where else can you get place names like that?!))

Agreed. Or get a map of a specific state, province, etc. and find all the really really little towns. There are some awesome names there, too.
Missie DuCaine
Your best bet? Atlases.

Canada! (sorry I do love my country very much) Anyway try looking at other languages as well. Think of a few words that describe the place, then try a translator site. You can even mess the the pronounciation, spelling, ect... of that word to create something you like. In one of my stories I needed to name an evil city. I though up a few words to descibe the city then I translated them to German, because everything sounds evil in German (no offense to Germans. I am half German and I love the fact that aking for a cup of coffee sounds like you're going to take a gun to someone) So try an exotic of light sounding language (my suggestion would be swahili, sorry I'm not too sure of the spelling) and fiddle with it a bit until you find something you like.
Lady Pheaura
Missie DuCaine
Your best bet? Atlases.

Canada! (sorry I do love my country very much) Anyway try looking at other languages as well. Think of a few words that describe the place, then try a translator site. You can even mess the the pronounciation, spelling, ect... of that word to create something you like. In one of my stories I needed to name an evil city. I though up a few words to descibe the city then I translated them to German, because everything sounds evil in German (no offense to Germans. I am half German and I love the fact that aking for a cup of coffee sounds like you're going to take a gun to someone) So try an exotic of light sounding language (my suggestion would be swahili, sorry I'm not too sure of the spelling) and fiddle with it a bit until you find something you like.

See, that was kinda my suggestion! ((Only I never actually said it, cause I'm dumb. XP))

That's why I have a world called "Aria". It was a modification on the word "Area" because it was. An area.

And Canada *does* rock!
Admiral's Cove, beach, ect...
aqua fort
avondale
kelligrews
Hope well
Grand La Pierre
Missie DuCaine
Your best bet? Atlases.

All those are from Newfoundland!!!!
Where are you from?
Jayded_Demon
Missie DuCaine
Your best bet? Atlases.

All those are from Newfoundland!!!!
Where are you from?

Ontario. XD We have a Killbride and a Holyrood over here too. ((Go figure, Holyrood's my hometown!))

Are you from Newfoundland?
I lived there for a while, I loved it..
Yup i'm from Newfoundland

YAY NEWFIES biggrin

Devoted Shopper

9,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Popular Thread 100
ghujina
derina
qhedruna???