Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Fave type of story?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on December 28, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 >

I've started to write a story and i'm up to chapter 3 currently (when you type it out it's so much smaller sad ) Anyway the story is based in a city by the sea called Cellivore and each night monsters/creatures come across the sea to take people back to some distance island somewhere to be slaves - this place is called the Collector's Isles. My main character is a girl based on what i'd like to be. The time setting - well there isn't one really but it's not modern times

Main Character: Aricia
Nickname: Ari
Description: 5'8", slightly tanned skin, brown shoulder length hair that can be tied back, grey-blue eyes, looks slender built but is stronger then you think!!
History: Her dad was taken by the "Collector's" when she was 13
Unusual Characteristics: She is able to dream the future and put herself into the dream world, her powers are growing and will be unlocked when she reaches the Isles.

Other characters:
Jason: Ari's 4 yr old lil bro
Nickname: Jase
Description: comes up to just above Ari's knee when he hugs her, same colour skin as Ari, blonde slightly wavy hair, light blue eyes, extremely cute

Tarj: Ari's best friend
Nickname: Tar (by Jason who can only call people by the first three letters of their name)
Description: About Ari's height, white nearly pale skin tone, white hair, normal build, quite fit for an old guy, hazel-green eyes

Lee: starts off as a thief but later becomes Ari's best friend
Nickname: doesn't need one he only has three letters
Description: (based on one of my best friends) around 6ft, black curly-messy hair, skinny, brown eyes, darker tanned skin

Tell me what you think about the story so far and if you have any suggestions for it or any questions ask...thanks
Quote:
My main character is a girl based on what i'd like to be.

Tread lightly there. Thats often a sign of a Mary-Sue. When a character is the wish fulfilment of the author, they can become flat and boring if not written carefully sweatdrop
Quote:

Pardom me if I sound harsh, but most of this strikes me as cliche. I found that every time I tried to write a story featuring a girl who existed as an "enhanced" version of myself, she turned out to be utterly hatable.
Also, writing about a character that is like yourself tends to distance the reader from the character, due to the fact that some authors don't know how to relate to themselves in story form.
Honestly, don't make "character sheets".
for the poll, i like fantasy, horror, and romance all in one ^_^
Quote:
Honestly, don't make "character sheets".

I agree. They take so much out of actually writing the character.
You need to put more detail into your secondary charachters. The first may be your favorite, but all charachters are important, not just the one thats most important to yourself.
Quote:
Quote:

Tread lightly there. Thats often a sign of a Mary-Sue. When a character is the wish fulfilment of the author, they can become flat and boring if not written carefully sweatdrop

Exactly. Thank you. Those characters are everywhere, and they're aweful. Love yourself, and if you're going to write a character based on someone else, base it on a friend or enemy or something. People who don't exist are very hard to write about, because they lack complexity.
Quote:
You need to put more detail into your secondary charachters. The first may be your favorite, but all charachters are important, not just the one thats most important to yourself.
Isee domokun

1,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Member 100
Actually, I disagree with all of you. Some of my most interesting and coolest characters were enhanced versions of myself. And you may think this sounds cliche, or boring, or even stupid, but it's really not. It's all about imagination. It's impossible to use characterization better than if the character is a part of yourself, and as long as you include your flaws as well as your imagined strengths, it all works out very well.
i think the thief kicks a** already
YOU GOTTA LOVE THE FIGHTING! And of course the mysteries ^_^
It sounds very interesting hope you write more
Quote:
Actually, I disagree with all of you. Some of my most interesting and coolest characters were enhanced versions of myself. And you may think this sounds cliche, or boring, or even stupid, but it's really not. It's all about imagination. It's impossible to use characterization better than if the character is a part of yourself, and as long as you include your flaws as well as your imagined strengths, it all works out very well.

I agree. It just becomes hard to do certain things with character's like that. What I suggest, if you are bordering on "edge" characters( xd ) Is to split the qualities between charaters. That way you won't have one favorite.
For example,
Make a character that is beautiful and smart, but can't fight worth anything, and another who may be homly looking, but can kick you a**.

Just try not to OVERDO it with the qualities. 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces