Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Is MSTing funny?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on July 31, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.

I was just prowsing google when I came across a MSTing of one of my very old (and bad) fanfiction that I did three years ago.

I'm not annoyed but I thought I would have had been asked permission first. (And I admit it was an awful fanfiction that deserved it!)

So I just want to know everyone's opinion...

Is MSTing good or bad?
When done well. There's a great site that MSTs One Piece (an anime I adore) fanfiction and it's done by a couple of rather intellegent people. Anyone can mock fanfiction, only when it's mocked well shall I care.
That's pretty much my opinon as well.

I've read a few MSTing's that had me rolling around laughing and it was on fanfictions that I had actually sat down and read seriously.

But I think it's better if they have the original author's permission.

It's just far too easy to write a MSTing that just makes fun of their writng skill.
Mz D

I've read a few MSTing's that had me rolling around laughing and it was on fanfictions that I had actually sat down and read seriously.

It's just far too easy to write a MSTing that just makes fun of their writng skill.

Yeah, but then nobody would let the MST their fics. I read a hilarious sight that MSTs Naruto fics, and every so often the author will b***h about it. Honestly, if a fic I wrote got MSTed, I'd be a little hurt, but if it was done by someone who made it funny, I'd be laughing my head off. I love funny MSTs.
I'm being stupid, I know, but... what does MST mean? (My random guess is manuscript trashing O__o)

Anyway, I take it that... it's making a parody out of a really bad fic(?). I guess I wouldn't be suprised if a bad fic of mine got MST-ed. I have to admit that stuff I wrote back then were crap.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
Shadow Clara
Mz D

Yeah, but then nobody would let the MST their fics. I read a hilarious sight that MSTs Naruto fics, and every so often the author will b***h about it. Honestly, if a fic I wrote got MSTed, I'd be a little hurt, but if it was done by someone who made it funny, I'd be laughing my head off. I love funny MSTs.

*nods* Ideally, permission would be given. However, most fics MST-worthy are written by authors who do not a)have a sense of humor, or b)haven't separated their writing from their ego.

Rude's Bestie

Cat

Mockery is good for people (especially ones who suck and think they don't).
Seijaku_Ishida
Shadow Clara
Mz D

*nods* Ideally, permission would be given. However, most fics MST-worthy are written by authors who do not a)have a sense of humor, or b)haven't separated their writing from their ego.

So true, so true. They should be happy that their terrible fic has been turned into something so utterly amusing. A couple times they say the MSTers are plagarizing, but if you link to the fic, it's like free publicity.

11,125 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
A well-done MSTing is a thing of beauty.

Harping only on spelling errors is not a good MSTing!

Stephen Radcliffe, who writes infamously bad ST: TNG Mary Sues (Marissa Pickard, Pickard's daughter!) gets MSTed constantly. He's taken it in stride, though,and even worked the Satellite of Love crew into some of his stories.

There used to be a site called Web Site Number 9, that hosted a whole range of MSTs. Some of the best ones I ever read were done by a man named David Rust. He didn't MST fanfiction, though -- he MSTed usenet spam! Including some horrible rants about Harry Potter being Satanic, Pokemon being Satanic, and the like. Funny, funny stuff. All gone now.
crying
dont know what it is
Heh, MSTs are only good if the one MSTing is good at it. I've seen some that had me laughing like there was no tomorrow, and I've seen some that I looked at for a minute before going on to something else. Haha, and it's nice when the author of the MSTed fic is all hunky dory with it, but when they get all offended...
Jezreel
I'm being stupid, I know, but... what does MST mean? (My random guess is manuscript trashing O__o)

It's riffing of stories in the style of Mystery Science Theatre 3000, a show which riffs bad movies.

Basically, it's a line-by-line riffing. Examples can be found at SVAM.
That happened to a fic I wrote with a few friends, a couple years back. We didn't even realize it happened until one day we were messing around and put the title into a search engine - you know, how you put your name into a search engine to see if anything comes up? Like that. Anyway, something DID come up, and it ended up being this guy's site that MST'd fics. It was very odd. He tried very, very hard to make fun of the story, and granted, it wasn't the best in the world, but what does one expect of three or four freshman girls who write the thing in between classes at school? I mean, we hadn't been trying to win any competitions with it, and it wasn't exactly the best peice of s**t in the world, but it was FUNNY.

His MST'ing wasn't, so much, but we did laugh until we cried at the attempt and then sent him a few choice emails that had him so scared he took down not just our fic, but the entire site. biggrin We had not taken kindly to the fact that he had messed with our work without permission or whatever.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
Shadow Clara

So true, so true. They should be happy that their terrible fic has been turned into something so utterly amusing. A couple times they say the MSTers are plagarizing, but if you link to the fic, it's like free publicity.

Copyright laws on plagarism do not apply to parodies or reviews. It can count as a review as long as the whole thing isn't posted. MSTs can fall under parodies, I suppose.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff