Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hi there!

This idea won't be up and running until my old account is restored (potentially another 5 months according to the average wait times...) but I wanted to suss out whether or not this would be the appropriate forum or not in advance.

One of the most enjoyable writing experiences I ever had was a collaborative project. We took turns writing chapters, based on an overarching premise of the kind of message we were pursuing and how many characters we would allow to be developed in order to convey that message.

I'd like to run a similar type of project here; but more basic and less strict. I want to propose a sort of competition if you will. Where writers will send me a brief attempt at developing a character, in whatever setting they like. Around 200 words. I'll pick the best 5 or 6, and together we will post 'free-style' using our characters, pausing at times to briefly workshop together how the plot should proceed.

How would this be a competition? Well, as much as I like playing with my avatar, when my old account is restored, I have no need to cling desparately to old items. I'm really quite frustrated with this whole inflation mess, I don't want to be a part of it. So this would be my way of pursuing something I love, and rewarding those who participate with items that (unless they're old members too) they'd probably never have the chance to get.

Would this be more appropriate here? Or in some other 'competitions' place? Or even in the charity section? I'd love for it to be hosted in this section of Gaia, as then I'd get people who truly love writing as much as I do interested, rather than people explicitly chasing items.

Thoughts? Opinions? Even any suggestions on fleshing out the idea, where the flaws may be, anything you like. whee However, primarily I just need that fundamental question of where to post this answered.
You know, the Writer's Forum rules do have a pretty comprehensive list of what does and does not belong.

At any rate, what you want is to Collaborative works forum. I'm not sure you're going to be able to find five or six people who are interested, though.
Maltese_Falcon91
You know, the Writer's Forum rules do have a pretty comprehensive list of what does and does not belong.

At any rate, what you want is to Collaborative works forum. I'm not sure you're going to be able to find five or six people who are interested, though.
Thanks for the advice re forum location whee

Ah, any more specific advice on why no one would be interested? The idea is that I just want some people - talented dedicated people - to embark on a new writing mission with me. I assumed motivating people via Gaia items to stay dedicated would be a good choice. I'd love to know your thoughts though on what I could do specifically to avoid nobody being interested..?
MeghannC
Ah, any more specific advice on why no one would be interested? The idea is that I just want some people - talented dedicated people - to embark on a new writing mission with me. I assumed motivating people via Gaia items to stay dedicated would be a good choice. I'd love to know your thoughts though on what I could do specifically to avoid nobody being interested..?

The Collaborative Works forum isn't exactly action central. Getting a team that size together could take a month or longer, and by the time you'd be ready to start, people would already be losing interest and leaving.

Muffers's Husband

Mind-boggling Blob

To build on what Maltese Falcon has already said, collabs are tricky in my experience. They tend to fall apart easily and getting even one solid collaborator isn't easy, much less 5 or 6. Not to say this won't work, but generating interest is probably going to be your biggest hurtle and maintaining interest more than that. Bottom line, people notoriously drop out/flake. Items are a good place to start, but even bribery will only get you so far.

I hope you manage to get the interest you're after and get a repeat experience of your previous collab. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff