Do you organize?

I don't need no stinkin' organizin'! 0.081081081081081 8.1% [ 3 ]
Of Course! Color coded timelines are a must. 0.37837837837838 37.8% [ 14 ]
????? 0.24324324324324 24.3% [ 9 ]
Gold! 0.2972972972973 29.7% [ 11 ]
Total Votes:[ 37 ]
1 2 >

Fashionable Genius

I've found that my writing methods change a little with each new story. At first I was a very disorganized writer, writing whatever happened to catch my attention at the time and completely shunning any form of outlines. As I've written more I've found that outlines and organizing can actually be useful, and I'm always on the look out for new things to try.

Currently, I'll write down a general outline using a header in Word. As I write more scenes will be numbered with a subheading and placed within the outline. As the plot develops the outline will expand as I go. This method is flexible and great for navigating the story when I need to check or edit something. Navigation and self-referential links are a must for me, when I'm looking for some detail I wrote down x chapters back the more time I spend looking for it, the less time I spend writing.

Another thing I've found useful is having a story bible (especially for fantasy or any intensive world-building story), which is basically a glossary of terms and other facts that I've made up or researched for quick reference. And character cards that not only give me general character information but using Word's indexing feature to list all appearances of a character's name. Downside is the longer story files can get absolutely massive. sweatdrop

The realization that I've forgotten more great ideas then I've ever written down really bothers me, but I still struggle with keeping a writing journal; it just ends up looking like a jumbled, incomprehensible mess.

So, what organizing methods have you found to keep track of your ideas/plot/details?

Prophet

All of your methods are pretty similar to mine, and my levels of organisation are a little haphazard at best. I seem to have a tendency to start with a basic premise, write myself a beginning, and then use a mental guideline to navigate where I need to go from there.

My first novel was plotted out in full while I was on chapter eight, and my second was fully plotted before I started writing it at all. My latest two projects have started off knowing the beginning third and ending scenes, and it's up to me to be able to string the scenes together somewhere in the middle.

While I was writing my first novel, I kept a colour coordinated timeline in a 'bible' of sorts and referred back to it when I needed to know which scenes to write next. As a result everything was very tightly plotted, neatly written, and I need minimal editing to get it to a readable standard now.

Another thing I often do is have two Word documents run in tandem. One is the novel document, the other a great big splurge of notes and scenes and character points that I'll check back with. Occasionally I can transplant entire scenes that I've written beforehand and tidy them up later.

On the go, I rely heavily on my phone's note function so I can jot things down at any time.
At most I'll have maybe, a 2 or 3 sentence outline to start with, but that's it. Here's the start....here's the finish...and I'll fill in the blanks when I get to them! Once I get the opening scene worked out, I just let it flow. So, I really don't organise anything.

Gash

Clean Sex Symbol

7,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Tycoon 200
I tend to do my writing in word notebook so i can separate by chapter. It may cause a ton of formatting issues but it makes putting things into outline format as easy as clicking the tab key.

I must admit, I only tend to outline chapters i'm currently writing. Everything else i think of putting in I just write as snippets of dialog or quick sentences/phrases that propose an idea. I used to do this on a physical notebook (discreet and good for working while in class), stickies (insufferable app unless you only have one or two), or my phone's note app. Evernote is a savior though. It lets you sync notes from your phone and computer.

other than that, I don't outline much. The main storyline is in my head and it's broad enough to be flexible. When you don't write chronologically, flexibility is a must.

Fashionable Genius

Sathael
All of your methods are pretty similar to mine, and my levels of organisation are a little haphazard at best. I seem to have a tendency to start with a basic premise, write myself a beginning, and then use a mental guideline to navigate where I need to go from there.

My first novel was plotted out in full while I was on chapter eight, and my second was fully plotted before I started writing it at all. My latest two projects have started off knowing the beginning third and ending scenes, and it's up to me to be able to string the scenes together somewhere in the middle.

While I was writing my first novel, I kept a colour coordinated timeline in a 'bible' of sorts and referred back to it when I needed to know which scenes to write next. As a result everything was very tightly plotted, neatly written, and I need minimal editing to get it to a readable standard now.

Another thing I often do is have two Word documents run in tandem. One is the novel document, the other a great big splurge of notes and scenes and character points that I'll check back with. Occasionally I can transplant entire scenes that I've written beforehand and tidy them up later.

On the go, I rely heavily on my phone's note function so I can jot things down at any time.

3nodding I've found that I can only track about 8 chapters in my head before I start losing things. The monster story I'm working on has been interesting. "Yeah, I know how it ends, I'll be done in about 8 chapters" 32 chapters later... "just 8 more chapters, really."

I've tried running two documents, but I've found that it screws up my links, so I generally have one window opened with multiple panes showing different sections of the document. Yay for large monitors.

I think I could lean to love the notepad on my phone, if only I could a) type on it with any accuracy or b) have a second to write things down.

Fashionable Genius

silverluna24
I tend to do my writing in word notebook so i can separate by chapter. It may cause a ton of formatting issues but it makes putting things into outline format as easy as clicking the tab key.

I must admit, I only tend to outline chapters i'm currently writing. Everything else i think of putting in I just write as snippets of dialog or quick sentences/phrases that propose an idea. I used to do this on a physical notebook (discreet and good for working while in class), stickies (insufferable app unless you only have one or two), or my phone's note app. Evernote is a savior though. It lets you sync notes from your phone and computer.

other than that, I don't outline much. The main storyline is in my head and it's broad enough to be flexible. When you don't write chronologically, flexibility is a must.

How do you determine chapters? To be honest this is something I leave to last to figure out. I agree that notebooks can still be useful, every so often I'll switch things up and write out long hand.

I think I may have evernote floating around, I will definitely take another look at it. Thanks!

Nuclear Werewolf

I've tried a number of approaches over the years, including outlining, et cetera. Lately I've been getting good vibes off writing chapter summaries instead of bullet points; we'll see how well it translates into chapters. Smaller things I just write off the cuff, once I have an idea of how I want it to go.

I end up taking a lot of notes and writing pages of plot and setting stuff down; most of it is just organizing my thoughts rather than having to keep track of particulars, because I seem able to remember entire plotlines and associated trivia for multiple projects without too much trouble... Not that I write anything especially complex, but I barely forget things except character names.

World bibles are fun. Haven't touched mine lately, but I do like the format I'm using for it---treating it like an encyclopedia native to the setting. Been trying to get proper timelines together recently, but that also involves calculations...

Spreadsheets are invaluable. I use them for everything.

Fashionable Genius

Alberic of Krufton
I've tried a number of approaches over the years, including outlining, et cetera. Lately I've been getting good vibes off writing chapter summaries instead of bullet points; we'll see how well it translates into chapters. Smaller things I just write off the cuff, once I have an idea of how I want it to go.

I end up taking a lot of notes and writing pages of plot and setting stuff down; most of it is just organizing my thoughts rather than having to keep track of particulars, because I seem able to remember entire plotlines and associated trivia for multiple projects without too much trouble... Not that I write anything especially complex, but I barely forget things except character names.

World bibles are fun. Haven't touched mine lately, but I do like the format I'm using for it---treating it like an encyclopedia native to the setting. Been trying to get proper timelines together recently, but that also involves calculations...

Spreadsheets are invaluable. I use them for everything.

I thought spreadsheets were mostly for numbers. Can you give some examples of how you use them?

Nuclear Werewolf

ErroneousPsyche
I thought spreadsheets were mostly for numbers. Can you give some examples of how you use them?
They're super handy for numbers, sure, like when I want to keep track of how many words I've written, but I've also used them to organize conlangs, keep track of characters and who they are/where they show up, and for making a visual timeline of story events.

There are a lot of ways to take advantage of a grid. cat_3nodding

Fashionable Genius

Alberic of Krufton
ErroneousPsyche
They're super handy for numbers, sure, like when I want to keep track of how many words I've written, but I've also used them to organize conlangs, keep track of characters and who they are/where they show up, and for making a visual timeline of story events.

There are a lot of ways to take advantage of a grid. cat_3nodding

Ooo, I just a book on how to create your own languages and it is my new most favorite thing ever!

Clearly I need to learn more about speadsheets.

Muffers's Husband

Mind-boggling Blob

I use a lot of spreadsheets, too, especially keeping track of character names and traits. I've also discovered that Microsoft OneNote is an awesome program when it comes to keeping myself organized for my bigger, badder projects. It keeps all my s**t tidy, and usually contains at least one or two spreadsheets within the file, as well as pictures, lists, world building, backstories, maps...etc.

Clean Sex Symbol

7,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Tycoon 200
ErroneousPsyche
silverluna24

How do you determine chapters? To be honest this is something I leave to last to figure out. I agree that notebooks can still be useful, every so often I'll switch things up and write out long hand.

I think I may have evernote floating around, I will definitely take another look at it. Thanks!

After a while, you just sort of start compiling things. Once you determine that scene B happened before scene C but after scene A, you just sort of put them together in chronological order.

And wring things long hand is fun. I tend to do writing exercises long hand and sometimes i really wind up liking them.

Purified Shounen

I always write down what my characters look like (hair/eye color, height, scars - if any - and their personality) on paper. I then stop to think about what story I'll be throwing them into, and once I have the beginning, middle and end, I type out a simple synopsis of the story. The story generally differs from the synopsis, but I don't really care about that as long as I follow the basic outline of the story, which doesn't really exist anywhere except in the minds of my characters.

Guildswoman

I keep an extensive notebook - the college rule composition kind with sewn-in pages. First step is freewriting which is wondering aloud about what I want to write, figuring out a premise, world, or language (which is the most fun!)

Once I have that premise, I figure out the characters, write their histories and how they talk. Plot usually comes up when I have two or more detailed characters interacting with each other in my head.

A brief outline becomes a detailed outline using Proppian functions as structure, a system to keep track of loose ends, as well as a prompt for what should come next.

Then I write brief outlines for every scene to see if I got a solid story, and to find any holes in the idea in my head.

It took literally sixty pages to organize a short novel, about 58k words. But I think it helped me write the novel quicker since I had it scene-by-scene, I could see bite-sized chunks to do each days, and often force myself to take another bite out and feel even more energized when I get more done than I was expecting!

Note: I fill up a 200pg notebook every three months.

Liberal Lunatic

7,475 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
ErroneousPsyche

Well, I have been working on the same world/story for a very long time now (longer than I like to admit...) But the way I do it is crazy.

I have at least five journals going, but only recently have I made an effort to fill one completely before moving on to the next. When I am looking to organize my thoughts further I flip through those journals and type up all the things that are important that I have yet to write about and keep them in outlines for later and more organized viewing.

I also find it useful to high-light in my journals- color-code sections based on what part they belong to, etcetera.

My partner and I have found cloud storage rather useful as of late. It is a great place to keep both the writings and illustrations for our stories in one place with sub-folders, and it also allows us to work on the same document at the same time, with a chat included!

When it comes to outlines, I start out with a general time-line, then expand upon it about three separate times before finally sitting down and writing everything out. I will keep them separated by parts and segments.

I also find it fun to do character interviews and write down all their little quirks when they come to me.

I don't know if my methods will help at all, but it helps me stay just a bit more sane, even though I still have several documents with close to the same content. :]

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff