Welcome to Gaia! ::

1. Have you notice how some books get published even though it's main character is a sickeningly perfect character? For example (I won't name the book):
The leading lady in one book can sing, is strikingly beautiful, has three different boys chasing after her and is very talented in singing and writing, all this whilst also being adored by almost everyone and being excessively kind. You just can't relate to her.

2. How unrealistic are some books about 13-14 year olds? In a couple you get all the characters them already going on about sex and stuff with their boyfriends when it hardly ever happens in real life at that age.
Some of those movies are good, But I also like realistic characters.
Like 28 days later...even though they were in an unrealistic situation.
I don't know what kind of place you live, but in western new york where I live, it's perfectly normal for 13-14 year olds to talk about sex and sexual situations. My mom, who's a resource teacher at a grade school, takes care of three pregnant 8th graders. And thoes 3 are the unlucky ones who didn't take the proper precautions, there's many more who have sex without getting "caught". Of course, sex at that age is generally frowned upon, but it happens, and is very realistic.

But for #1, yeah, Mary Sue's suck. The only good story with "perfect" characters is when the characters life is changed or ruined because of the way their perfection affects the world around them.
Wariena
1. Have you notice how some books get published even though it's main character is a sickeningly perfect character? For example (I won't name the book):
The leading lady in one book can sing, is strikingly beautiful, has three different boys chasing after her and is very talented in singing and writing, all this whilst also being adored by almost everyone and being excessively kind. You just can't relate to her.

2. How unrealistic are some books about 13-14 year olds? In a couple you get all the characters them already going on about sex and stuff with their boyfriends when it hardly ever happens in real life at that age.

Was you reading a book that was written years ago or a "21st century book" And was this book written by a really really old woman/man?
Yes it makes a difference but now that you know that these books are annoying it's the next writers job to do a better job. You see a fault... fix it in the next book you write.
Unfortunately, just like everything else, ninety percent of everything is crud. This includes fanfiction, original online fiction, and published fiction. (In fact, the quote by Theodore Sturgeon was referring to published science fiction.)

Being published is no guarantee of quality. Okay, so there's some guarantee (one is unlikely to find netspeak in a published book, save intentionally and in small doses), but that's about as far as it goes.
Number 1 example of poor quality, Eragon. That should serve as a guide for bad fiction.
Wariena

In a book I'm writting its basted on a real life story and a girl who is 14 had sex just about everyother day for 3 years! It really happens.
Some people like perfect characters, because those 'some people' like to put themselves in the shoes of them. They also might look up to them because their lives aren't perfect.

It's basically like a little girl reading Repunzel or Cinderella or something and falling in love with prince charming....... reading under the covers at night, with a flashlight, holding the book close to her heart and sighing dreamily.

But then she hits puberty, grows up, forgets the books, becomes a angst-filled punk chick who does drugs and eventually gets raped and murder at 17.

Either that, or they become a sucessful writer and gain millions of dollars and fans.
Wariena

About #1. I'll admit that I've read books like this, but then again probably everyone has read at least one, and I actually like them somewhat. I like to think that someone, somewhere is living such a fabulous life and everything is perfect. I like to think that someday, we could live in a perfect world. Or at least a semi-perfect world where everyone can set apart their differences and realize that we're really all the same deep down inside. A world without war, and so on. Listen to me, sounding like a dork.

About #2. It's actually pretty common to find 13 or 14 year olds who have had sex. It's all I hear people talking about at school... ever since 7th grade it's all I heard about. I listen to the freshmen at my high school raving out about all of their sexual experiences and how great they thought it was. I, personally, think it's horribly wrong. And, furthermore, I'm happy that you live somewhere where you don't have to listen to things like that and where it doesn't occur often.

I'd give anything to be 6 years old again and not have to put up with the things I have to put up with now, ten years later.

"But then she hits puberty, grows up, forgets the books, becomes a angst-filled punk chick who does drugs and eventually gets raped and murder at 17."
HOLY CRAP! I laughed so hard when I read that... even though it happens, I laughed so hard. Thank you Odakri for making me feel a little better this morning... oh man... *chuckle*

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
Of course fiction is going to be somewhat romanticized. That's why it's FICTION.
Odakri
Some people like perfect characters, because those 'some people' like to put themselves in the shoes of them. They also might look up to them because their lives aren't perfect.

It's basically like a little girl reading Repunzel or Cinderella or something and falling in love with prince charming....... reading under the covers at night, with a flashlight, holding the book close to her heart and sighing dreamily.

But then she hits puberty, grows up, forgets the books, becomes a angst-filled punk chick who does drugs and eventually gets raped and murder at 17.

Either that, or they become a sucessful writer and gain millions of dollars and fans.
.....haha...i still lik reading romances to get away from my problems (meaning life).... its sad...and yet so very tru... sweatdrop ...but Odakri is very tru in that matter...for those who have rough lives they would do anything to forget bout their problems...reading and stuff lik it is a good way to do so....but after a while those books do get annoying...i think its actually worse for the person because if they read it to forget bout their sucky lives they start to believe everyone elses lives are perfect...lik in the books....adults try to hide it from us as children but sooner or later u do realize our world isnt as perfect as we would lik to think...i kno of 7th graders who are pregnant...drug dealers that are selling to 9 year olds...i kno u may think its unrealistic but wat is realistic...surely our world isnt perfect?...
Hmmm... Sometimes a character's perfection is used as irony or symbolism. Sometimes it's key for the plot. Really depends on what you're talking about... sweatdrop gonk But I have noticed that all the books my mother recommends as ones she read when she was little, all of the characters with unnaturally gifted abilities.

( whee eek What was the second question?? Oh yeah...) Having sex at fourteen is something I do not recommend, but it technically can happen if you want to be all correct and stuff...

...ya know what? I'm confusing myself. I hate being able to see two sides to everything... scream

(feel free to ignore the rambling shown above)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff