Welcome to Gaia! ::

So lately my knee has been seriously bothering me. I went to the clinic, got an x-ray, and the doctor thinks I have tendinitis in my right knee. He told me to stay off of it, and to lay off lifting with it.

But here's the thing: my knee doesn't hurt from doing the lifting movements. Squats, deadlifts, etc. don't seem to bother it. My doctor suggest it might be endorphins, numbing the pain a bit, and seriously thinks I should take a few weeks off.

I'm just wondering, if I don't feel pain performing the movements, is it still necessary that I take time off? I get that he's a doctor and I am not, but he's a general practitioner and might be wrong. And I already took two weeks off for Christmas, so I don't want to have to take even more time off.

So what do you think? Following his advice, good idea? Y/N/Maybe so?

Shady Cat

Ever had this kind of thing before? What is it about it that's been bothering you, when does it bother you most, how long has it been going on for? What were you doing when you first got the pain? Is it specifically on/around the kneecap? Squats/deadlifts are okay, but how about impact like running/jumping? Was it hurting before you took the two weeks off for Christmas, and if so has not exercising on it changed the pain/intensity/triggers at all?

Too many questions, sorry. Basically, if the swelling/pain/etc seems related to or dependent on the amount/type of exercise you're doing, or if you think it is tendinitis, then I'd say cut right back or take a rest even if it sucks losing ground. If you really think the doctor has the wrong end of the stick (and I'd agree it doesn't reaaally sound like patellar tendinitis based on what you've mentioned, not that I'm qualified to say so) then get a second opinion/referral to a sports medicine doc if feasible, and in the meantime do the exercises/weights you're comfortable doing while trying to figure out what is causing it.

Really super unhelpful answer right there, and I'm extra leery of suggesting things against what the doctor has advised, but if you aren't noticing any difference +/- exercise then I don't see how cutting back will help. Just my two cents, idk.
tales of melody
Ever had this kind of thing before? What is it about it that's been bothering you, when does it bother you most, how long has it been going on for? What were you doing when you first got the pain? Is it specifically on/around the kneecap? Squats/deadlifts are okay, but how about impact like running/jumping? Was it hurting before you took the two weeks off for Christmas, and if so has not exercising on it changed the pain/intensity/triggers at all?

I had something similar in my left elbow. The pain lessened after a few weeks, but is not altogether gone.

It's been bothering me for a few weeks, but lately it's gotten worse. I figured the break I would be taking at Christmas would help.

As far as I can recall, the pain first happened while I was walking. But I tend to have a high pain threshold, so it could have been going on longer.

It is in fact around/on the kneecap. Most commonly the pain is right above it.

Running is painful, which sucks because I just recently got an actually decent pair of running shoes.

Not exercising hasn't really done anything. It hurts a little less but it's still bothersome.

Also, taking anti-inflammatories helps quite a lot.

Shady Cat

Senator Armstrong

Another avalanche, don't worry about answering if this is boring you, I'm just curious.

Did you find out what was causing the thing in your elbow? How long ago was that, and is it still bothering you?

Anything much change "a few weeks" ago? New routine, new job? Any injuries?

What did you do when you got the pain? I.e., was it so bad you had to stop walking, have any twangy oh-s**t sort of feeling, or was it less intense when you first got it and has since become more of a nuisance?

Is there anything that makes you think the pain is related to the exercise you're doing?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff