Welcome to Gaia! ::

So I recently got the diagnosis of too loose ligaments in my SI joints (which are in your hips). My doctor advised me to start strength training, like fitness focussing on strength, or pilates.
However, I already do karate and I love it a lot. So I'd love to do some strength training, but more in the form of a martial arts.
Does anyone know something good for me?

Playful Guildswoman

Pikkewyn
So I recently got the diagnosis of too loose ligaments in my SI joints (which are in your hips). My doctor advised me to start strength training, like fitness focussing on strength, or pilates.
However, I already do karate and I love it a lot. So I'd love to do some strength training, but more in the form of a martial arts.

For starters, get some small weights, like 2 lb. dumbbells and carry one in each hand while walking or doing calisthenics/exercises or walking.

Ladykiller

8,450 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Clambake 200
Nobody should use 2lb dumbbells. Go to bodybuilding.com, "find a plan," and pick any of their routines for girls that appeals to you.

Familiar Explorer

Pretty vague there. Do you do a lot of running? I like to do stairs or high reps of sprints when I don't feel like power-lifting to strengthen my legs.

For martial arts I also like to strengthen my forearms and wrist. Doing things like reverse curls, wrist curls, forearm twists....I don't actually know the names of these workouts sweatdrop but you can do what I do and google "forearm/leg/ab workouts" or something and find loads of things. You gotta know how to filter out the less practical stuff though.
xthumbtack
Pretty vague there. Do you do a lot of running? I like to do stairs or high reps of sprints when I don't feel like power-lifting to strengthen my legs.

For martial arts I also like to strengthen my forearms and wrist. Doing things like reverse curls, wrist curls, forearm twists....I don't actually know the names of these workouts sweatdrop but you can do what I do and google "forearm/leg/ab workouts" or something and find loads of things. You gotta know how to filter out the less practical stuff though.
I cycle a lot, as walking too much causes my hips to dislocate even more emotion_donotwant
And I was told to train my lower back specific, not my legs and arms. plus, those are already very muscular so I wouldn't want them bigger

Familiar Explorer

Pikkewyn
I cycle a lot, as walking too much causes my hips to dislocate even more emotion_donotwant
And I was told to train my lower back specific, not my legs and arms. plus, those are already very muscular so I wouldn't want them bigger

lol. Ah okay well the typical lower-back workout is the deadlift. I've seen people do straight-leg deadlifts with just dumbells.

You can also do situps on a declined bench. Possibly holding a light weight over your head for added resistance. If it's too much weight on the abs, your lower back will take over.

9,025 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Full closet 200
Pikkewyn
Calisthenics, bodyweight excercises, and isometrics- I believe theres other training but those are the ones i could list

Friendly Explorer

4,750 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
My Muay Thai Kickboxing class does a lot of strength training.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff