Welcome to Gaia! ::

Versatile Noob

So, on Monday I started an at home workout routine which consists of using a 10lb long bar and 15lb dumbbells to workout my Biceps, Triceps, Pectorals, and Shoulders. Yesterday I woke up with extreme soreness throughout both my arms, but I figured "Oh perfect! I'm on a great path to gaining muscle". But as the day progressed the soreness was unbearable, and I noticed that my arms weren't straightening out, and remained at a bent position. I woke up this morning hoping for the soreness to be gone, but it's still there and my arms still will not go straight.

Is this normal when gaining muscle? Will my arms straighten out? Do I need to go to a doctor?

Gracious Raider

Eat a banana. Your muscles have a lot of lactic acid it's not used to in them. The potassium will help that. Remember to stretch before and after workouts, try a roller too, to push the acids out after a workout, so prevent soreness like that.

Versatile Noob

Handsome Dynamite
Eat a banana. Your muscles have a lot of lactic acid it's not used to in them. The potassium will help that. Remember to stretch before and after workouts, try a roller too, to push the acids out after a workout, so prevent soreness like that.
Thanks for the advice. Is this common when trying to build muscle?

Gracious Raider

Umm, hasn't really happened to me, but I've been active all my life. If you just started, your body could be adjusting. Just start keeping bananas on hand. They're a life saver. One thing I get is after doing biceps, my arm cramps up when I bend it to far, which can make brushing my teeth kind of a pain.
The first few days, possibly weeks of working out may be the worst ones you experience. Your muscles have never been strained like this before and may take some time to build. Though in my experience (With getting both my brothers to begin training as well as myself) is that after the first time, your muscles will adapt very quickly and, after the first two or three workouts, will be able to function much better than before.

As the person said before, eat a banana and stretch. Do not overdo your stretching. That soreness only means your workout is working: Embrace it. For improved muscle repair, I would suggest drinking a lot of water daily (I drink a gallon a day myself) and protein. However you decide to get your protein is up to you, whether it's in chicken or a protein shake.

Good luck and don't quit.
Lol you gotta stretch them out man. Go to a pull up bar or something and just hang smile

6,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
You're over training. Eat the banana, rest, ice it down maybe, and get on a legit beginner strength training program. Mark Ripptoe's "Starting Strength" is a good one.

Savage Hunter

Handsome Dynamite
I thought DOMS was caused by microtears?

Gracious Raider

Adolph Rayner
Handsome Dynamite
I thought DOMS was caused by microtears?

From my experience, the soreness and the inability to straighten his arms, isn't all DOMS. Gis muscles are cramping badly. The banana will help with this. DOMS is likely playing a part into his soreness, but it's not going to cause the other things. Light cardio after a workout and the day after (active recovery) should help with.both though.

Distinct Lover

3,050 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gaian 50
No offense to anybody here but please don't troll. As a beginner you WILL see this. What you need to do is EAT more, and you aren't doing it. You cannot add on weight to the bar and not eat like a horse, you will FAIL. You should ONLY work your arms on 5 day spit breaks. Meaning if you're doing them Monday, wait until Saturday to do them again. Do NOT stretch before lifting, it will break muscle fibers and make you weaker. Your calorie intake if you're a beginner should be 50% of your maintenance calories for a bulk phase, you probably aren't getting enough protein/carbs in your muscles.

I am professional trainer and in competition bodybuilding.

Devout Lover

14,600 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
The stiffness is due to swelling in the muscles due to fluid retention. Your body is getting as much nutrients as possible to the damaged sites, and it also helps you stop damaging it more since you cannot move. This is from over-training; you need to rest, you can also stretch, use a foam roller and do very light cardio to help move nutrients to the damaged sites and remove waste.
Your body is just not used to it.
I remember when I started out. I hated it and dreaded working out biceps. It'll be gone in about a week, depending on how bad it is.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff