Welcome to Gaia! ::

Which doll should I get for my niece?

Make it Mine 0.26086956521739 26.1% [ 6 ]
American Girl 0.39130434782609 39.1% [ 9 ]
My Twinn 0.17391304347826 17.4% [ 4 ]
Other (Please Post) 0.17391304347826 17.4% [ 4 ]
Total Votes:[ 23 ]

For the first time, I'm going to be able to afford something really nice for my niece's birthday. I want to get her a nice quality doll. She usually asks for Lalaloopsy or Monster High or Disney Princess or Barbie, but she mentioned to me that she really wanted a larger doll. I know a lot of girls like American Girl or My Twinn, but I think MiM could be pretty cool for her. She might not be old enough to appreciate it now, but it's a doll that can (easily) be changed to her tastes.

My aunt said we should get her an American Girl doll. I know that a lot of people will say, "Don't buy American Girl, go with My Twinn, instead." (Or rather My BFF, since she is only vaguely interested in a doll that looks like her).

So, I'm a bit torn. I'm really leaning towards MiM, since that seemed to be the most interesting to her. But it could have just been the novelty of the doll. So, she might not really appreciate the doll until a couple of years from now. I'm really trying to see it from her point of view, but it's difficult, since children her age seem different now than even from ten years ago.

Here are the websites, so you can look around yourself:

http://www.mytwinn.com/
http://www.americangirl.com/
http://www.mimtoy.com/

If you have any other recommendations, let me know.

Valiant Jackling

If you have a feeling she'll like one doll over the other, then go with your gut. Personally I had a Magic Attic doll growing up, but even as a kid I wasn't all that interested in dolls. It was just a x-mas gift from my grandmother that was some-what played with.

I don't think there's any wrong direction to go in. Most of the toys & dolls she has now will be nothing to her in 5 or 10 years, that's just a standard kid thing. What makes a kid hold onto a particular toy is the memories associated with it, not the brand.

So if you think she'd enjoy a MiM doll more than an American doll, I say go for it. You have a better idea of what she likes then anyone on here wink And the more she likes something the better the memories will be.

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50
If I were a little girl again, I'd really dig a doll that looked like me. See if there's a My Twinn that looks like your niece!

Wheezing Fatcat

5,250 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Brick Breaker 50
No offense, but MIM dolls faces look ugly. I gave my neice an American girl doll, she has still not put it down yet.

Tipsy Lunatic

Gotta go American Girl.
I still have mine. I have Molly, from the 1940's WWII. And all her sets.
I really like how they have the historical dolls, but also the ones you can customize.
It's grown since I started into it like 12 years ago.
However, I had friends that had a My Twin, and they loved them.
ALSO:
My sister's 13 and still plays with hers, and with her friends too.

Ruthless Bookworm

I'm in the Uk, and I have never seen any of these dolls D: but just from purely looking at the examples on the websites, I'd go for an American girl, she has a the friendliest face!

Newbie Explorer

American Girl dolls are really cool. They have historical and ones that you can customize. They have the nicest faces of the three on your poll (plus you can get clothes for them at craft stores for low prices). I had a knock off version called a Laura Ashley growing up and I really liked playing with her.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff