Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Lunatic

User Image

I'll admit, there's really nothing like a glass of ice water, especially if it has a little lemon or berries in it! But during the course of the day, I struggle to hit that 8 glasses a day mark. I can force myself to hit 4, but it's seriously a chore. It's not that I don't like the taste of it, I just don't think about it. Especially at work, when I'm way too busy to even think about it, let alone be able to drink anything in front of our customers. I have to sneak off to the back for a sip. I have a huge cup that holds 3 and a half cups of water and I'll sip on that, but after my 10 hour shifts I've barely made it half way through.
I've tried mio and crystal light as well as flavored sparkling alternatives to make it a little more enticing, but I always fall short.
Any suggestions on how to actually hit that 8 glasses mark?

User Image
User Image

Friendly Friend

6,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100
Hey! blaugh

I *hate* drinking water. It takes me forever. How I've been doing it is that I got a couple of tiny bottles of water. They're 10 ounces per bottle, but they look tiny. So, it only takes about 6 to get to the daily intake. For some reason, the tiny bottle makes my brain think it's less. Yet, it's more than a standard glass. So, I switch off between bottles until I've had the amount I'm supposed to have.

Big bottles work against me, because they're so big, it's intimidating.

Divine Zealot

If you're eating fruit, vegetables and meat, you don't have to really worry, as there's a lot of water content in them, that counts toward your 8 glasses. Give this a read. You really should be "eating" most of your water.

Omnipresent Hunter

Wraiem
If you're eating fruit, vegetables and meat, you don't have to really worry, as there's a lot of water content in them, that counts toward your 8 glasses. Give this a read. You really should be "eating" most of your water.

This.

But a decent amount of plain water is still good for you too.

Fuzzy Fairy

Try making a schedule for yourself. Like you have to have this much water by this time in the day. Then you're pacing yourself and it could help.

Headstrong Senshi

20,150 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Power Surge 50
  • Team Player 50
If you don't think about drinking it and just be sure to remember to drink water then it's much easier or you could eat a few fruits like watermelon or oranges.
Try taking some fresh fruit in a punchbowl or large container, fill it with water and leave it over night or for a day. Afterwards the water will absorb the flavor AND nutrients of the fruit an will taste better. You can mix different fruit for different flavors. Don't add any sugars though since that just counters the natural healthiness of it and is an excessive amount since fruit has its own natural sugar.
You could try to add a little bit of honey as well and heat it up so it'll mix then refrigerate or freeze it.

Shameless Lunatic

8,250 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
If you just jump up to 64oz from the little you're drinking, you're likely to get a bladder infection. Try not to go more than a cup extra per week, to give your systems time to acclimate. If you go for a walk with a jacket on (presuming the weather doesn't actually require a jacket) you'll crave more water than normal. An awesome water bottle helps too. I got an Aperture Laboratories one, now I tend to drink twice as much water a day, just because I like the bottle xd
If you're working at a desk or sitting and working for a while, keep a water bottle right next to you. I've noticed that I will subconsciously grab my water bottle while I'm studying and drink a ton just out of habit and my tendency to fidget.

Shameless Lunatic

8,250 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
I've also read you should be drinking half your weight, like if you weighed 200lbs, your should drink 100oz, If you weigh 120, you should drink 60. I think this makes more sense than a certain amount for everyone ever.
I was never able to drink water my whole entire life. You'd find millions of bottles all over my house 3/4 full, I could not do it.
Unfortunately I developed a caffeine addiction that was making my life miserable when I didn't have my tea, coffee or soda. My doctor told me I needed to stop completely and drink water.
I nearly died, I was crying because I hated water so much.
He recommended I buy a CamelBak with a filter as found here; http://shop.camelbak.com/bottles/water-bottles/filtration/l/203
The filter wasn't needed, but for my area the water is gross.

This simple water bottle changed my life. It was weird for a few days, but by a week, I was going through 4 refills a day, which is a little more than 8 cups of water.
The biting and sucking motion is a natural 'movement' for us as we did it when we were babies. And when you bite and suck, you drink more water than you even realize.
And since it's spill proof, and you don't need to open anything, just grab and drink, it's more easier to mindlessly drink from it.
It's proven to be 'more fun' to drink from seen here; http://www.camelbak.com/en/Sports-Recreation/About-Us/Press/2009/Drink-Study.aspx

Now my body is used to drinking the recommended amount of water a day, I don't even drink soda, coffee or tea anymore.

I've been using CamelBak for over a year.

Puzzle_Clocks's Husband

Eternal Alchemist

10,675 Points
  • Married 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
If you are having trouble remembering to drink water you can do a couple of different things. I have bracelets that I wear at work. They're the thin braided kind, but I start with them all on my right arm and move one to the left every time I finish a bottle of water. I look at my arm and it reminds me how many more "cups" of water I have to drink and I get on it.

Also, you can set yourself a reminder (on your phone if you are allowed to keep them with you) or on a computer if you use it at work. Set it for a reasonable amount of time between "cups" of water. Like if you work a ten hour shift you could give yourself about an hour between cups of water.

Popular Conversationalist

Wear 8 rubber bands on your wrist if you're dedicated, and if you don't have them all off two hours before bed.. Chug, baby, chug.

Tipsy Genius

5,700 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Tipsy 100
I always liked the Ogden Beads idea. You can make a bracelet with beads on it & just slide them to one side when you've had your water. You can put eight beads on between two knots & then just slide them over one at a time every time you have a glass.
Add lemon r lime juice to it to give it some "flavor" .

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff