Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Nerd

Your daily dose of healthy information. Everyday I am going to share a random health fact in this thread. Feel free to share your thoughts and views on the fact of the day, or even your own healthy fact. The random fact can be anything from something about the human body to information on specific food or diseases.

Who knows, maybe you will learn something new today?

Did you know...

The word ‘gymnasium’ comes from the Greek word gymnazein, which means ‘to exercise naked.’

Interesting Nerd

Past Facts:

March 11th, 2012
A banana takes 45 minutes to completely digest in the digestive tract, longer than any other fruit

March 12th
Chocolate is a cough suppressant
A study published in the Journal of the Federation or American Societies for Experimental Biology found that a compound found in chocolate called theobromine suppressed cough as well as codeine without any side effects.

March 13th
The focusing muscles of the eyes move around 100,000 times a day. To give your leg muscles the same workout, you would need to walk 50 miles every day.

March 14th
Many studies show that married people tend to be healthier than unmarried ones. One theory is that being married encourages healthy behavior, such as wearing seat belts, being physically active and having blood pressure checked.

March 15th
The smell of cinnamon helps boost brain function.
A 2004 study found that the smell of cinnamon helped boost brain function. Study participant's performance on tasks involving virtual recognition memory, attentional processes, working memory, and visual-motor speed while using a computer were measured comparing the relative effects of jasmine, peppermint, cinnamon and no odor. Cinnamon had the strongest positive effect on study subjects' cognitive processing skills.

March 16th
People who regularly exercise have a better chance of fighting off illnesses and infections than those that are sedentary. Exercise has actually been shown to boost the immune system.

March 17th
Eating too many carrots can cause a person's skin to turn yellowish orange, especially on the palms or soles of the feet. This is called carotenemia. It is completely reversible once the consumption of carrots is reduced.

March 19th
Fat-Free Salad Dressing is not always the best option.
If you’re watching your blood pressure, stay away from this stuff. In just two tablespoons of fat-free Italian dressing, you take in up to 500mg of blood-pressure-raising sodium. (That’s a third of the total recommended daily amount) Instead try your own low-salt dressing by combining balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, and flavor-packed seasonings like pepper, turmeric and mustard seed. Homemade salad dressings are usually lower in calories and carbs as well. Source

March 20th
One medium orange has roughly the same amount of fiber as seven cups of corn flakes.

March 21st
Most Americans don’t get enough potassium in their diet.
Bananas contain a high dose of potassium - an essential ingredient to keep your heart and nervous system in good shape. Including a banana in your diet everyday would take you a step closer towards getting your daily recommended dose of potassium, as well as several other health benefits. You can read more about the awesome health benefits of bananas here.

March 22nd
The aorta, the largest artery in the body, is almost the diameter of a garden hose. Capillaries, on the other hand, are so small that it takes ten of them to equal the thickness of a human hair.

March 23rd
Watermelon is a great healthy snack because it doesn’t contain any fat or cholesterol, is high in fiber and vitamins A & C and is a good source of potassium. watermelon will also quench your thirst. Every part of a watermelon is edible, even the seeds and rinds.

March 26th
Rice is an excellent source of energy, especially carbohydrates, which are used in the body for brain performance, physical activity, bodily functions and everyday growth and repair. Rice is low in fat, gluten free and cholesterol free.You can read more about rice here.

March 27th
6% of the world's adult population is currently living with diabetes. Diabetes is a silent epidemic that causes 6 deaths every minute and one in 20 deaths in the world is due to the condition. Every year it is estimated that 3.2 million people in the world die due to the diabetes or its related causes. Want to learn about prevention, risks, and diabetes testing? Here is a good place to start.

March 28th
There is twice as much vitamin C in kiwifruit as there are in oranges. One kiwifruit each day will give you the amount recommended for your daily intake. You can learn more about Kiwi here.

March 29th
Some restaurants list calorie counts and other nutritional information on their websites, or even right on their menus. But that doesn't mean that the numbers listed are necessarily the right numbers.
At Kentucky Fried Chicken, partially hydrogenated oil is listed on the menu ingredient list many times, but KFC claims some of their food -- such as chicken -- have zero grams of trans fat," Palinski says. "According to labeling standards set by the US Food and Drug Administration, a food can be labeled as containing zero grams of trans fats even if it has 0.5 grams of trans fats per serving." In other words: "Zero" doesn't always mean "zero." You can read more about things that restaurants don't want you to know here.

March 30th
Bread bag twist ties are colored coded to reflect what day the bread is baked on.
Blue: Monday
Green: Tuesday
Red: Thursday
White: Friday
Yellow: Saturday

April 2nd
The right lung of a human is larger than the left one. This is because of the space and placement of the heart.

April 3rd
Walking at a brisk pace (a 15-minute mile or 4 mph) burns almost as many calories as jogging for the same distance.

April 4th
Egg whites have only 15 calories per egg, no cholesterol, and no saturated fat.

April 5th
Fiber-rich foods lower the risk of developing chronic conditions, including heart disease, cancer, and type 2 diabetes. Here are some easy ways to boost fiber intake:
* Snack on whole-grain crackers, fruit, or vegetables or popcorn (a whole grain) instead of cookies, candy, and chips.
* Choose whole-grain breads and cereals, whole-wheat pasta, and other whole grains, such as quinoa, millet, barley, cracked wheat, and wild rice.
* Look for breads with more than 3 grams fiber per slice; go for cereals with five or more grams of dietary fiber per serving.
* Start a meal with bean-based soups, such as lentil or black bean. Add canned, rinsed chickpeas to salads, soups, egg, and pasta dishes
* Include fruits, vegetables, and whole grains at every meal.

April 6th
Over the past 30 years, the number of overweight children has doubled and the number of overweight teenagers has tripled.

April 9th
Pears are an excellent source of dietary fiber and a good source of vitamin C, a proven anti-oxidant. Pears also offer potassium. They contain no saturated fat, sodium, or cholesterol.

April 19th
It's possible to die from a broken heart; it's called Stress Cardiomyopathy.

April 20th
Lack of water is the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

April 21st
Avocados are a good source of fiber, potassium, and vitamins C,K, folate, and B6. Half an avocado has 160 calories, 15 grams of heart-healthy unsaturated fat, and only 2 grams saturated fat. On Super Bowl Sunday, Americans eat about 8 million pounds of guacamole. For Cinco de Mayo, the tally is closer to 14 million.

May 11th
The brain itself cannot feel pain. While the brain might be the pain center when you cut your finger or burn yourself, the brain itself does not have pain receptors and cannot feel pain. That doesn’t mean your head can’t hurt. The brain is surrounded by loads of tissues, nerves and blood vessels that are plenty receptive to pain and can give you a pounding headache.

May 29th
Exercise Gives You Energy. When endorphins are released into your bloodstream during exercise you feel much more energized the rest of the day.

May 31st
If you are cold you are more likely to be hungry because you use energy to keep warm.
Great idea Esa!~
4laugh
Random Fact: Staying hydrated by drinking plenty of water, will make life easier for your kidneys.

Beloved Prophet

Awesome idea!

Interesting Nerd

Lonely Browser

8,150 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Nope. Don't update it. Post a new reply so you won't keep updating every day.

Interesting Nerd

PrincessMina15
Whats wrong with updating everyday?

Fashionable Shapeshifter

6,950 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Miss Esa
PrincessMina15

I think updating everyday is a good idea, just make a list of all the facts. Like in the first post put

Today's Fact Of The Day!
"Insert Fact Here."

And on the second post list all the previous facts by date, so people can see all of them.

Interesting Nerd

Hissori Purotekuta-
Miss Esa
PrincessMina15

I think updating everyday is a good idea, just make a list of all the facts. Like in the first post put

Today's Fact Of The Day!
"Insert Fact Here."

And on the second post list all the previous facts by date, so people can see all of them.
That's what I'm doing....

Fashionable Shapeshifter

6,950 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Finc Das
Crud3
I dont think you get it, the OP is going to post a fact and leave it up for discussion for the day.

What is wrong with someone else posting facts? His was a smart one to share, not many people know how good water truly is for your body, it can help prevent kidney stones.

Fashionable Shapeshifter

6,950 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Miss Esa
Hissori Purotekuta-
Miss Esa
PrincessMina15

Today's Fact Of The Day!
"Insert Fact Here."

That's what I'm doing....

Sorry I swear I didn't see the second post! sweatdrop

Interesting Nerd

X
        I like today's (the 14th of March) fact. Even though my partner and I aren't married, we seem to act like a married couple.
        I helped him give up smoking, encouraged him to cut down on alcohol and we're each other's supportive exercise buddy.
        I look forward to many more informative and helpful facts in this thread. <3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff