Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Cutesmasher

5,500 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150

I've noticed there are a lot of people who have yet to watch the anime, and are asking what it's about. It's easy to get confused with the amount of fanart/fanfic that's out there, so I wanted to set the record straight.

Tiger & Bunny is NOT a Yaoi. Its an anime about superheroes who are sponsored by real companies (like google, pepsi, etc.) who are competing in a reality TV show. It focuses mainly on two heroes:

-Kotetsu Kaburagi (AKA Wild Tiger), who has been a hero for many years, and cares more about saving people than pleasing his sponsors.

-Barnaby Brooks Jr. (who Kotetsu nicknames Bunny), who is a new hero who cares more about scoring points on the show.

The two share the same superpower, and are teamed up despite the fact that they don't get along. The show follows the progression of their (PROFESSIONAL) relationship, and their interactions with the other Heroes. Every character, including the supporting cast, is unique and lovable. They are purposely designed to represent the wide range of personalities and nationalities we would see in a major city. Their city of Sternbild is based off of Manhattan.

The story, while some people feel it takes a while to pick up, is IMO wonderful because it has so many different aspects to it: getting older and trying to do a younger person's job, the line between pleasing sponsors and saving human lives, the importance of family to those whose job it is to risk their lives, man vs. machine, etc. Although I am a fan of Kotestu x Barnaby, I really want people to watch the anime for what it is, and not dismiss it because of what fans are doing with the characters. Fanfic and fan art are amazing, but it shouldn't replace the real story of the anime.
thats so cool, i never even knew that xd

Kawaii Tamer

Thanks. Because honestly I was deterred by all the yaoi pairings of the two main characters. Even my friend, who loves that sort of stuff, said she liked it so I was weary. I don't mind male on male but it gets old fast. I might watch this show, but I won't buy it.

Interesting Cutesmasher

5,500 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Roukei Ren
Thanks. Because honestly I was deterred by all the yaoi pairings of the two main characters. Even my friend, who loves that sort of stuff, said she liked it so I was weary. I don't mind male on male but it gets old fast. I might watch this show, but I won't buy it.

Thank you for saying that. It's why I made the post. It really is a good show if you give it a chance. I love all the fan stuff, but its hard to get people to watch the show with me with all the bl going around... They have all of the episodes subtitled for free on hulu and viz.com if you'd like to see it. They haven't finished releasing the dubbed version yet.

(and the subbed version will always be better IMO)

Shirtless Seeker

10,350 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Team Edward 100
I totally get what you mean. The thing that almost stopped me from watching the series was I was in the first episode and I thought they pretty much bastardized (sorry for the language. It was the best fitting word) what it meant to be a hero. But the more I watched, the more I saw that it wasn't true.

On the whole fan art thing. I think it's fine also long as the fans don't get too crazy and I hope the crazy fans don't stop new fans from the franchise.

Questionable Borg

Cielo718
Roukei Ren

Thank you for saying that. It's why I made the post. It really is a good show if you give it a chance. I love all the fan stuff, but its hard to get people to watch the show with me with all the bl going around... They have all of the episodes subtitled for free on hulu and viz.com if you'd like to see it. They haven't finished releasing the dubbed version yet.

(and the subbed version will always be better IMO)
I have yet to watch it, but subbed versions are always better.

Always.

Interesting Cutesmasher

5,500 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Mayor Gravity
I have yet to watch it, but subbed versions are always better.

Always.

I agree with you. But you always get those people who complain about having to read while they are watching something. (my dad is one of those) They will wait for a dubbed version before checking any anime out.

Dapper Ladykiller

I'll watch that someday; heard about it for a long time now. smile

Distinct Genius

5,400 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
Love this anime series. Especially when the next season Kotetsu's powers only last a minute and been reduced to a B League hero team.

I wanna see how he will once again shine with Barnaby!

Shy Entrepreneur

7,200 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
its an anime? o.O

Heart Consumer

14,450 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Nerd 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
The problem I had trying to get my friends to watch it was the title... that alone was enough to make them go "WTH?!" and I have to try to explain as best I can without spoiling anything. X_X Even then the premise is still odd. When I was introduced to it, I know my friend just had to make me sit down and watch the first episode with her just so I could understand what it really was about.

Profitable Millionaire

5,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Handsome Shounen

17,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
I have similar issues trying to get people I know to watch Kuroko no Basuke... even though it's totally the best sports series I've read since Eyeshield 21. People just see how the characters are drawn and assume it's has something to do with BL. emo

At the same time I totally don't get it because those same people will say Prince of Tennis is cool and I'm pretty sure everyone in that series is homo. No, seriously, I really don't like that series. It was the first sports manga I read and I got about 80 chapters in and got fed up with how boring and stupid it was. If it wasn't for Eyeshield 21, I would have sworn off sports series forever.

But yeah... for people who might be interested in Kuroko no Basuke, here's the OP to the anime.

The manga's really good too. I get upset every time I get to the end and have to wait for another chapter.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff