Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Flatterer

7,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Brandisher 100
I found out why Shane became a zombie so quickly. I know a lot of us have been wondering why and here's the answer I found while digging. This is from the show runner Glen Mazzara. This is the full article with other questions. And the fact there will be more webisodes before season 3!

– On Shane becoming zombie, much faster than Amy, and not getting bit: We worked hard to make sure that revelation landed. We knew what we were doing there. We knew it would land a punch. We’ve never had a main character become a zombie to this extent. Those [rapid flashes of zombie mayhem] represent the storm in Shane’s brain to some extent … Amy was a weaker character. Shane is in a murderous rage … he’s going to reanimate quicker. There’s just more life in that zombie, believe it or not. We do have internal rules for that.

Tipsy Flatterer

7,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Brandisher 100
coolioz good to know, thx!

7,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Honestly, I'm a little confused. Why would rage have anything to do with reanimating a corpse faster?

Dangerous Seeker

7,275 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Beta Gaian 0
I thought it was because Shane was carrying the virus longer. Get it? I thought if you carried the virus longer ((Because it's Airbourne)) then it affects how quick you change into a Walker?
Something wrong, I hold my head Shane gone, my ***** dead ):

6,450 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • The Perfect Setup 150
how come that Randall guy became a zombie without any bites or anything? i just know shane broke his neck. xp

Rainbow Wrangler

9,250 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Overstocked 200
  • Invisibility 100
xXMissNanoXx
how come that Randall guy became a zombie without any bites or anything? i just know shane broke his neck. xp

There all infected...The virus only activates when there dead!!! biggrin biggrin biggrin

Tipsy Flatterer

7,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Brandisher 100
xXMissNanoXx

Dying without any damage to the brain=zombie. If you get shot in the heart, you become one, you die from a heart attack you become, you get shot in the head and it hits your brain, you die and don't come back.

6,450 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • The Perfect Setup 150
oh thats crazy that they are all carrying the virus biggrin

Sparkly Lunatic

8,000 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Invisibility 100
Robotic Zombie Pandas
I thought it was because Shane was carrying the virus longer. Get it? I thought if you carried the virus longer ((Because it's Airbourne)) then it affects how quick you change into a Walker?

I had assumed this, too. But I think that scene time-skipped a lot, too. Also, I think Amy wasn't really dead for a while. She just bled and bled while slowly dying overnight, was properly dead for a few minutes, and then reanimated.
Personally, I think the idea of Shane reanimating faster because he was "full of rage" is obsurd.
Sounds good. I'll be damned though that if Daryl becomes one anytime soon, gah.

Seeker

Depending on the nature of the virus, I actually think that rage accelerating it´s take-over makes plenty of sense.

a) Think of how much adrenaline was pumping through his system when he died.
b) He was exposed to the virus for a longer period of time than previous character deaths that didn´t bite the dust with a gunshot to the head.
c) His mind was already wired to be a ruthless killing machine. When he died, he wanted to murder his best friend. It would only make sense that him waking up with the desire to eat his Rick until he was dead, would not take all that much re-wiring in the brain.
d) I am going to assume that the virus has similar properties to rabies.. just my theory. Lets see, excluding things that are obviously only brought on by a bite, lets examine which of these symptoms Shane seemed to already be showing.
The actual time between infection and when you get sick (called the "incubation period" wink with Rabies ranges from 10 days - 7 years. The average incubation period is 3 - 7 weeks.

Symptoms may include:

Anxiety, stress, and tension
Drooling (debatable)
Convulsions
Exaggerated sensation at the bite site
Excitability
Loss of feeling in an area of the body
Loss of muscle function
Low-grade fever (102 degrees F or lower)
Muscle spasms
Numbness and tingling
Pain at the site of the bite
Restlessness
Swallowing difficulty (drinking causes spasms of the voicebox)

I cannot say if Shane was trudging around with a fever or not, but his behavior was, slowly, becoming more and more like that of a rabid dog. Just hadn´t gotten to the convulsing, spasmatic stage. If we consider his feisty behavior to have been an accelerated manifestation of the virus to begin with, his fast-paced change into zombie-dom makes a little more sense.

Tipsy Flatterer

7,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Brandisher 100
xXMissNanoXx
oh thats crazy that they are all carrying the virus biggrin

This is from someone who is involved with the show and makes decisions within it as well. Everyone is still infected, did you even read the article?

Tipsy Flatterer

7,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Brandisher 100
dishevel
Depending on the nature of the virus, I actually think that rage accelerating it´s take-over makes plenty of sense.

a) Think of how much adrenaline was pumping through his system when he died.
b) He was exposed to the virus for a longer period of time than previous character deaths that didn´t bite the dust with a gunshot to the head.
c) His mind was already wired to be a ruthless killing machine. When he died, he wanted to murder his best friend. It would only make sense that him waking up with the desire to eat his Rick until he was dead, would not take all that much re-wiring in the brain.
d) I am going to assume that the virus has similar properties to rabies.. just my theory. Lets see, excluding things that are obviously only brought on by a bite, lets examine which of these symptoms Shane seemed to already be showing.
The actual time between infection and when you get sick (called the "incubation period" wink with Rabies ranges from 10 days - 7 years. The average incubation period is 3 - 7 weeks.

Symptoms may include:

Anxiety, stress, and tension
Drooling (debatable)
Convulsions
Exaggerated sensation at the bite site
Excitability
Loss of feeling in an area of the body
Loss of muscle function
Low-grade fever (102 degrees F or lower)
Muscle spasms
Numbness and tingling
Pain at the site of the bite
Restlessness
Swallowing difficulty (drinking causes spasms of the voicebox)

I cannot say if Shane was trudging around with a fever or not, but his behavior was, slowly, becoming more and more like that of a rabid dog. Just hadn´t gotten to the convulsing, spasmatic stage. If we consider his feisty behavior to have been an accelerated manifestation of the virus to begin with, his fast-paced change into zombie-dom makes a little more sense.

Maybe anger was the wrong way to word since no one else is getting, either that or they're too lazy to read the article. So let's go with adrenaline I guess. But I do like the points you included, I still don't get why people say it's airborne as we do not know where it originated. For all we know, as I pointed out in another thread, it could be a blood pathogen or something that has been dormant in a plant, or a disease that recently mutated that everyone carries.

Or it could be that the virus is mutating and is becoming accelerated in those who are perfect hosts, assuming that Shane could be a perfect host with his behavior.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff