Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Tycoon

7,250 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I'm not one, but I think the whole underlying theme to the virus suddenly being present in everyone is that it's trying to stress that we're all animals when you strip everything away. Once the brain, the human part of us, is shut down we're reanimated with one of the basic survival instincts of any predator: kill and eat.

Any other theories of what they're trying to tell us?
i agree with ya.

Shirtless Shapeshifter

5,650 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
No theories but I agree with the whole thing too.

Azorii's Wife

Wheezing Sophomore

Well maybe, but your theory of basic "animal nature" is missing one fatal
condition, the primal instinct to reproduce! Now, in a way the zombie's are reproducing
but they are not aware of the effect they have on other living creature's so it's not animal instinct by nature.

But, the Walker's do display other animal like qualities; they are not cannibalistic, they have been seen traveling in "herds" and when one smells food and leaves, so do the others.

So, I mostly agree.

It's only a matter of time before the go the, Land of The Dead, route and learn how to use guns and open doors. WHERE WILL YOUR GOD BE THEN?!

Omnipresent Cultist

I'm a psych graduate, and I don't really think about it. lol
I disagree.

While everyone is a carrier of the virus, it is still obviously new. I think someone created it as a weapon. It's either political, or an act of terrorism. Basically, it's war. Like dropping an atom bomb, except you are dropping a virus.

Anyway, once the virus takes over your body, you're dead. All the it needs is your brain in order to function. The human body is just a shell. Hence, when you shop off a zombie's head, it's still animated, because the brain still isn't destroyed so the virus is still in control.

Tipsy Tycoon

7,250 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Rawnald Gregory Erickson
I disagree.

While everyone is a carrier of the virus, it is still obviously new. I think someone created it as a weapon. It's either political, or an act of terrorism. Basically, it's war. Like dropping an atom bomb, except you are dropping a virus.

Anyway, once the virus takes over your body, you're dead. All the it needs is your brain in order to function. The human body is just a shell. Hence, when you shop off a zombie's head, it's still animated, because the brain still isn't destroyed so the virus is still in control.

Ok, so that's your theory on how it came to be, but what do you think the show is trying to tell you? Drama tv shows, like this one, love to make people feel things. They do this by putting you through a roller-coaster ride of emotions; you end up loving characters more than others and rooting for them.

I was trying to say the writers of either the comics, or the show, are trying to stress to us that no matter how human we try to be, if you threaten our survival, everyone is going to turn on everyone else.
Im Ah-joo
Rawnald Gregory Erickson
I disagree.

Ok, so that's your theory on how it came to be, but what do you think the show is trying to tell you? Drama tv shows, like this one, love to make people feel things. They do this by putting you through a roller-coaster ride of emotions; you end up loving characters more than others and rooting for them.

I was trying to say the writers of either the comics, or the show, are trying to stress to us that no matter how human we try to be, if you threaten our survival, everyone is going to turn on everyone else.

I can see that. I enjoy this theme in zombie films, where the reality is other humans become the biggest threat. I think that is very realistic.

But I don't think the show or comic are trying to tell us that everyone resorts to hostility and violence and betrayal. Dale did not. And Rick truly does it only in self-defense, unlike Shane who does it as a result of emotional instability. And with that said, why do people say things like "how human we try to be" or "holding on to humanity"? Humans turn against each other and do awful things all the time. I think that is very human.

If anything, being a good person is kind of like rebelling against your human nature.
i can tell you are not a psych major, because that is not our "basic instinct"
this is a fictional show. zombies are not real. the dead cannot communicate or walk, theybare incapable of any form of human behavior. our basic instinct is to survive - survival of the fittest.

this isn't hard to figure out. basic knowledge.
Im Ah-joo
I'm not one, but I think the whole underlying theme to the virus suddenly being present in everyone is that it's trying to stress that we're all animals when you strip everything away. Once the brain, the human part of us, is shut down we're reanimated with one of the basic survival instincts of any predator: kill and eat.

Any other theories of what they're trying to tell us?

No I disagree with this :"underlying theme to the virus suddenly being present in everyone is that it's trying to stress that we're all animals when you strip everything away". The main driving point to this show is how a group of survivors will survive not only the apocalypse but each other. Although, this added twist of everyone being infected will definitely have an imapct on the group. It'll fuel the fear that all the survivors have now that they know that hope is really lost for the moment. No matter how long they survive they will still face death and in death they will become the monsters they've been so determined to outlive. It really is a great spin on the zombie genre. They are now left with the disheartening fact that everyone is doomed to become a walker. I can only imagine what such a notion will have on the group, well at least what is left of them, in the finale.

And as far as the rest of your theory goes when the brain is reanimated as shown by Jenner it seems that only the lower most portions of the brain is functioning. That does support the basic drives theory, but the writers are missing some key components that would reawaken within those centers. That and I don't think the writers are trying to highlight the fact that humans are animals. If they were this show would be very dull. The main power for this subplot will be to only bring the group down more. Why keep fighting if you're bound to become one of them?

For this show, and as a psych major, I have more fun analyzing the characters and their various personalities. Such as Shane, his slow downward spiral was intriguing, and began long before this past episode. He couldn't handle the fact that his view of "right" wouldn't always be supported and in most cases it would be challenged. Even if his view was in fact the better choice. He had a high need for power, which left him constantly vying for control. Possible Spoiler (highlight): Of course his ultimate downfall came at the hands of Lori and her constant need to feel protected/secure.

As a side note : You should rethink the topic title of your thread. I find this show fun to watch even with its various continuity issues. I wouldn't try to over-analyze a work of fiction either. it's pretty nice to suspend that disbelief for an hour every sunday xD
Nah, zombies forgo instinct, else they wouldn't tear themselves apart trying so hard to kill someone.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff