Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Codger

16,825 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
All of this will be white because I bet you clicked me even if you don't like spoilers...
(don't click the Wiki entry links unless you want it to be ruined for you)

I know of the story of the Walking Dead comic vs. the television show.
My question is, which do you prefer, the way Shane dies in the comic, or the way he dies in the show?

In the show, Rick kills Shane, poor crazy man didn't know what was coming. Carl then sees Shane come back from the dead, coming after Rick, so he blows his zombie head right through. This comes after his struggle with not killing the zombie in the swamp, then it coming after and killing Dale.
Walking Dead Wiki entry:
"Shane lures Rick out to a field in the middle of the forest by pretending to look for an escaped Randall, however Rick realizes Shane's story and comes to the conclusion that Shane brought him out there to kill him. Rick makes it seem as though he's handing Shane his weapon, as he refused to be armed. Once his gun is in Shane's hand, Rick pulls out his knife and stabs Shane, saying he brought this on himself. Shane then dies. As Rick tries to cope with what happened, Carl appears, shocked to see Shane dead. He aims his gun at what at first we assume to be Rick, but is actually a now-zombified Shane. Carl pulls the trigger, killing the now zombie Shane."

In the comic, however, Carl kills ALIVE Shane, which Rick later goes back to kill zombie Shane.
Walking Dead Wiki entry:
"Seeing that Shane was completely insane and moments away from pulling the trigger, Carl having followed and witnessed his father in danger, shot Shane in the neck. Shane choked on his own blood and died seconds later. Lori spat on his grave, calling him a 'b*****d'. While the group discover The Prison and realising you don't have to be bit to turn, Rick travels back to the camp outside of Atlanta by motorbike to dig up and kill zombified Shane."

My personal opinion is that the comic version is more shocking and exciting than the television version, which kind of left a watered-down, "I knew it would happen, it was just a matter of time," kind of feeling. The boy had to make a choice to take a HUMAN life to save his father, while in the television show, he had taken a ZOMBIE 'life', which he had been desensitized to seeing in the first place. It is a far greater internal conflict for a child of his age to kill a live person who he has known his whole life as opposed to a zombie shell of that person. What do you think? I'm interested in your opinions and have fun with it!
lol i clicked it anyway. I feel like such a rebul biggrin
i'm in agreement with you, the comic was more intense in shanes death.... but I guess they can't show a kid killing someone on tv if they have a pulse....

Dapper Codger

16,825 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
They've had kids shoot people on television before this, but I think that the freelance writer they had for this episode thought it was cooler, maybe? I don't know what their thinking behind it was. The writer of the comic seemed to be in on it on that really annoying after show, the Talking Dead. Man, is that guy annoying (the host, not the comic writer).

Eloquent Elocutionist

10,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Mark Twain 100
i prefer the show version. i just prefer the show.
I prefer the comic's style. It creates a huge part of Carl's character in the comic. He made it clear to himself who he is and what is important now in the new world. He was not about to lose his father again. Yes, he knew Shane for a long time, but Shane isn't his father. Later in the comics when the men are talking about how they've changed, Carl is able to share his own experience and it opens Rick's eyes to how much Carl has changed and how much Carl really does care for him.

I think they didn't show the comic version on the show because I think it'd be kind of shocking on cable tv to see a kid shoot a living person, even if that person may deserve it. Having Carl shoot Zombie Shane doesn't have the weight that the comic version does.

Dapper Codger

16,825 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Pol Koshka
I prefer the comic's style. It creates a huge part of Carl's character in the comic. He made it clear to himself who he is and what is important now in the new world. He was not about to lose his father again. Yes, he knew Shane for a long time, but Shane isn't his father. Later in the comics when the men are talking about how they've changed, Carl is able to share his own experience and it opens Rick's eyes to how much Carl has changed and how much Carl really does care for him.

I think they didn't show the comic version on the show because I think it'd be kind of shocking on cable tv to see a kid shoot a living person, even if that person may deserve it. Having Carl shoot Zombie Shane doesn't have the weight that the comic version does.
I feel the same way about how it shapes the character of Carl. I do agree that it may have been the fact that the child would have had to shoot a living person, but at the same time, I look back at all of those crime dramas and see the children killers, and say, "Hey, no fair." Ha ha! I'm not one for whining about stuff like that for real, though, just in passing light-hearted commentary. I may watch more of the show, but I'm not sure, since the new "Zombie Soap Opera" as I like to call it has a way of really dragging things out. Do you think you'll follow the story further? Word on the street is that they're filming the prison stuff at an old prison in Nebraska.
Doc_Brown
Pol Koshka

I feel the same way about how it shapes the character of Carl. I do agree that it may have been the fact that the child would have had to shoot a living person, but at the same time, I look back at all of those crime dramas and see the children killers, and say, "Hey, no fair." Ha ha! I'm not one for whining about stuff like that for real, though, just in passing light-hearted commentary. I may watch more of the show, but I'm not sure, since the new "Zombie Soap Opera" as I like to call it has a way of really dragging things out. Do you think you'll follow the story further? Word on the street is that they're filming the prison stuff at an old prison in Nebraska.

I'm probably going to always read the comics, and I'll probably continue to watch the show. I like the two storylines for the most part.

Dapper Codger

16,825 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Pol Koshka
I'm probably going to always read the comics, and I'll probably continue to watch the show. I like the two storylines for the most part.
Same here. I'm not really too terribly far in the comic. I started reading it before the show came out, but only casually.

5,000 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Dressed Up 200
i dont watch show. lol so yeah.

Dapper Codger

16,825 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
foxy_chikki
i dont watch show. lol so yeah.
Well, welcome all the same! It's okay, but I find it dragging most times. It takes a lot of patience to watch in my opinion.

5,000 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Dressed Up 200
ikr. cause everytime i watch it. its all talk and no kill. neutral
I prefer the comic's version but the TV version is very good. I just hope with the record setting numbers they don't decide to cut even more of the budget to maximize profits.

Dapper Codger

16,825 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
kingofbigmac
I prefer the comic's version but the TV version is very good. I just hope with the record setting numbers they don't decide to cut even more of the budget to maximize profits.
Blame Mad Men for the budget cuts. Greedy people caring only for themselves, screw everybody else. What's done is done.

@Foxy~ Yeah, I will forever call this show the "Zombie Soap Opera"
Doc_Brown
Pol Koshka
Same here. I'm not really too terribly far in the comic. I started reading it before the show came out, but only casually.

I DEVOURED the things when I started. I think I finished them in a week. All 91. Haha. I'm up to date now, but I hate waiting a month. lol

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff