Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Shapeshifter

8,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
So, I've been having some interesting conversations with people as to whether they should have stayed strictly to the comic books (in which case, many characters would have died earlier/in other ways as well as some other smaller changes) or if the way they have branched out from the books is good.

Personally, I've always felt the comic books were a lot more emotional to read...thoughts? I feel like this has already been addressed (I mean, I'm sure it has) but since I'm late to this area on the forums, thought I might start anew.

Shy Sweetheart

10,150 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
I like both the comic and the show. They have their own way about them.

Fashionable Explorer

10,100 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
  • That One Hero 500
well i can't base off of anyth'n from da comics, as i've never read'em sweatdrop so i'm gonna say dat i like da show version of TWD better imo smile

Ruthless Hellraiser

12,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Hellraiser 500
There are certain things that were handled better in the television series versus the comics. I liked the addition of the CDC, which is not in the comics, as well as Shane having been kept around longer than the few issues he was in.

The Governor is certainly a character who benefited from the series. He became a much more three-dimensional character, as opposed to the one trick baddie he was in the comics.

Other characters were also changed for the better, like Carol and Hershel.

However, there are some characters that translated poorly from the page to the screen. Andrea and Dale definitely come to mind.

Darling

I haven't read the comics, but I've been spoiled for a lot of things. I have friends who have read it, and I talk to people online who have all the time, so I've heard about a lot of things I probably shouldn't have. xD

So I actually like that the show changes things up. I think successfully changing things can be pretty difficult, as it has to be handled right for the fans of the original work to still enjoy it. I know there are a few movies based on other works that really disappointed me because I don't think the changes they made were any good.

As for the Walking Dead, the only thing I feel I missed out on was comic-Andrea. I really didn't like how they handled her in the show and I'm one of the many who just didn't like her. From what I've been told, her comic version is pretty badass.

I've liked the other character changes, and the addition of brand new characters and places. It keeps things interesting.

Friendly Shapeshifter

8,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
(First of all, thank you for commenting smile )

Second of all, I definitively agree with Andrea being better done in the comic books. Throughout the show it's been hard to stand her...

And truthfully I had never really thought about the Governor in that way, he was sort of your slimy grease-ball in the comics but in the show he has a much more intricately put together personality, he isn't just a slime-y a**.

Ruthless Hellraiser

12,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Hellraiser 500
flyinglightning

Second of all, I definitively agree with Andrea being better done in the comic books. Throughout the show it's been hard to stand her...

And truthfully I had never really thought about the Governor in that way, he was sort of your slimy grease-ball in the comics but in the show he has a much more intricately put together personality, he isn't just a slime-y a**.

I hated the Governor in the comics. He was evil just for evil's sake, it seemed, and he did some REALLY horrible stuff. TV!Governor has an added humanity to him that allows you to sympathize with him, even if you can't condone a lot of what he does.

Friendly Shapeshifter

8,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
The Governor of Woodbury
flyinglightning

I hated the Governor in the comics. He was evil just for evil's sake, it seemed, and he did some REALLY horrible stuff. TV!Governor has an added humanity to him that allows you to sympathize with him, even if you can't condone a lot of what he does.

I feel like he also has much more to live for, I mean the community is an /actual/ community not just a big band of people, so it's this mischievous guy hiding behind a much less sketchy exterior.

Ruthless Hellraiser

12,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Hellraiser 500
flyinglightning

I feel like he also has much more to live for, I mean the community is an /actual/ community not just a big band of people, so it's this mischievous guy hiding behind a much less sketchy exterior.

Yeah. You can tell that he wanted to make Woodbury a good place at first, before the loss of his daughter and how that affected him.
I love both, but hate what they did with andrea in the show.... She's so ******** awesome in the comics. D:
I'm re reading the comics right now. In issue 64- part 3 of the Hunters arc.
Here are my thoughts on it after re reading it:

1-I really hate what they've done to Andrea. I'm wondering if Carol won't take her place as the devoted follower/sharpshooter.

2-I'm glad they changed Carol's character, actually. The man crazy comic version is fine, but I like "look at the flowers" Carol more.

3-As bad as Hershel got it in the show, it was nowhere near what the comic version had. When the governor kills him in the comic, he is literally broken and ready to die.

4-Lori sucks in both lol

5-They really are under using Tyresse on the show. He was so important in the comic, but in the show he's just a whiny, moody guy. And his hammer scene should have been way more dramatic. I feel like there would be minimal outcry if tv Tyresse died, but his comic death was devastating.

6-obviously, the Dixon bros are a great add, but not so much for the CDC.

7-REALLY hope we see the finger gun from the Hunters arc this season.

8-Glad rick kept his hand and that Shane lasted so long.

9-I'm hoping Abraham takes more of a lead this season. He's so BA in the comic.

10-The S4 ender was a PERFECT line up with the end of comic 64

Overall, I LOVE the show, and can't wait for season 5. But these are just my thoughts.
I_have_a_witty_name

1-I really hate what they've done to Andrea. I'm wondering if Carol won't take her place as the devoted follower/sharpshooter.

2-I'm glad they changed Carol's character, actually. The man crazy comic version is fine, but I like "look at the flowers" Carol more.

3-As bad as Hershel got it in the show, it was nowhere near what the comic version had. When the governor kills him in the comic, he is literally broken and ready to die.

4-Lori sucks in both lol

5-They really are under using Tyresse on the show. He was so important in the comic, but in the show he's just a whiny, moody guy. And his hammer scene should have been way more dramatic. I feel like there would be minimal outcry if tv Tyresse died, but his comic death was devastating.

Overall, I LOVE the show, and can't wait for season 5. But these are just my thoughts.
Have you all been enjoying my fun freebies and prizes?

Friendly Shapeshifter

8,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
I_have_a_witty_name

4-Lori sucks in both lol

Oh my god don't even get me started on Lori, lol.

But I agree with this. And sort of regarding show vs. comic dynamic, I think the writers have finally gotten comfortable with most of the characters and the comic story-lines.

The Rick hand bit I always forget about, especially after binge watching the show and then returning to the comics. I think as far as the show's Rick goes, the hand wouldn't have worked as well.
flyinglightning
I_have_a_witty_name

4-Lori sucks in both lol

But I agree with this. And sort of regarding show vs. comic dynamic, I think the writers have finally gotten comfortable with most of the characters and the comic story-lines.

The Rick hand bit I always forget about, especially after binge watching the show and then returning to the comics. I think as far as the show's Rick goes, the hand wouldn't have worked as well.

I think Merle replaced him quite well in that area.

I've read where kirkman regretted cutting off his hand at all.

Friendly Shapeshifter

8,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
I_have_a_witty_name
flyinglightning
I_have_a_witty_name

4-Lori sucks in both lol

I think Merle replaced him quite well in that area.

I've read where kirkman regretted cutting off his hand at all.

That's understandable, there are times in the comics when there's sort of an action overload.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff