Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Phantom

7,475 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Honestly, I was a little shocked when I heard people were becoming shocked at the color of Rue and Cinna's skin. Seriously people? In the BOOK, Suzanne Collins describes Rue as being dark skinned. Are people blind? Or did a lot of people just skim the book so they could be involved with the latest fad?

Also, I heard people were saying the fact that Rue was black suddenly made her death seem less important, or they didn't feel as bad for her. That, my friend, is STUPID!!! Rue was a twelve year old little girl, who died of horrible circumstances, and the only thing that makes you see her death as less tragic is the fact that she was black?

Is this not 2012?

Not 1930?

Truthfully, I'm just taken aback.

Let's get some feedback on this, cause I really want to know how everyone else feels about this.

CARlNA's Wife

Aged Citizen

11,650 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Megathread 100
People are assholes. Ignorant, willfully blind assholes. Simple as that.
I read the book first, I infact only read it because of the movie as I can't stand watching movies before books, just a quirk of mine. I haven't seen the movie [I had work the night my mates went, they got the wrong tickets.] But when everyone started saying that Rue being black ruined the ovie for them, I damn near raged. To me, thats like people saying Crack being Black isn't realistic [J.D Robb fans would understand that.] Read the books properly or don't read them at all.

Also, another point that made me laugh while on a night shift at work. I read an article about a women who took her twelve year old daughter to see it, then stormed out because it was too violent and showed death. So, sh didn't watch the trailers, then, obviously. I have no sympathy for her. At all. If your child is too young to understand death, don't take her to a violent movie.
A lot of my friends who said they read the book said they werent expecting Rue to be dark skinned. They thought she would be blonde hair and white. So I asked them "Did you even read it? It says she is!" I cant believe all these racist comments and all the people saying the movie is racist!! They are just rude

Wheezing Fatcat

I think the part that bugs me the most about this is that a lot of those people idolize Katniss and yet Katniss lived in a world where race didn't really matter. Much of the time she doesn't even mention a character's skin color because it just is so irrelevant to their culture. Also the movie white-washed Katniss and Gale and that makes me a sad panda. sad

Dapper Raider

Two - f**king - thousand - twelve alright.
Some people still don't realize how dumb as sh*t they are.

Original Nerd

9,550 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Pie Feeder 50
I read the book after watching the movie. I really loved the movie, and my friend was telling me she didn't like it (since she read the book first) saying they left out a lot. I know how that works because of the Harry Potter books. And yes it says she's dark skinned. And so is Thrash and Cinna. I actually like how well they portrayed all of them.

Original Nerd

9,550 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Pie Feeder 50
witch11
I think the part that bugs me the most about this is that a lot of those people idolize Katniss and yet Katniss lived in a world where race didn't really matter. Much of the time she doesn't even mention a character's skin color because it just is so irrelevant to their culture. Also the movie white-washed Katniss and Gale and that makes me a sad panda. sad
How did they white wash them? I know they kinda changed them, but I'm just wondering what you mean? surprised

Original Nerd

9,550 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Pie Feeder 50
Racheal Shanks
I read the book first, I infact only read it because of the movie as I can't stand watching movies before books, just a quirk of mine. I haven't seen the movie [I had work the night my mates went, they got the wrong tickets.] But when everyone started saying that Rue being black ruined the ovie for them, I damn near raged. To me, thats like people saying Crack being Black isn't realistic [J.D Robb fans would understand that.] Read the books properly or don't read them at all.

Also, another point that made me laugh while on a night shift at work. I read an article about a women who took her twelve year old daughter to see it, then stormed out because it was too violent and showed death. So, sh didn't watch the trailers, then, obviously. I have no sympathy for her. At all. If your child is too young to understand death, don't take her to a violent movie.
Its rated PG 13, and they leave out a lot of the Violence and blood >.>;; So the lady is stupid. LOL

Wheezing Fatcat

Lilly-sempai
witch11
How did they white wash them? I know they kinda changed them, but I'm just wondering what you mean? surprised
The characters in the book were described as "Olive skinned" and thus presumably native american or something along that coloration. They chose white actors to portray them. This wouldn't bother me had they allowed the possibility of a minority to play them but the casting calls called for ONLY white actors. This was a real hit to minorities who looked up them since there are so few protagonists of color.

Original Nerd

9,550 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Pie Feeder 50
witch11
Lilly-sempai
witch11
The characters in the book were described as "Olive skinned" and thus presumably native american or something along that coloration. They chose white actors to portray them. This wouldn't bother me had they allowed the possibility of a minority to play them but the casting calls called for ONLY white actors. This was a real hit to minorities who looked up them since there are so few protagonists of color.
Oh thats right, when I think Olive Skinned, I was thinking more italian looking. But I can see what you mean, I can't believe they only called for white actors :/

Wheezing Fatcat

Lilly-sempai
witch11
Lilly-sempai
witch11
Oh thats right, when I think Olive Skinned, I was thinking more italian looking. But I can see what you mean, I can't believe they only called for white actors :/
Yep. Like it would've been one thing had they let it open ended and everyone tried out and then they chose white actors based on ability but that isn't what happened and there was quite an outrage in the POC community.

Original Nerd

9,550 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Pie Feeder 50
witch11
Lilly-sempai
witch11
Lilly-sempai
witch11
Yep. Like it would've been one thing had they let it open ended and everyone tried out and then they chose white actors based on ability but that isn't what happened and there was quite an outrage in the POC community.
I believe it. Did they give a reason to why they only asked for white actors?? Even still though, if they weren't going to stick with the way the book was going to have them look they should have left it open for everyone..

6,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Millionaire 200
I feel like people in 2012 can never be happy about anything.
I read the books, saw the movie, loved them all, and I really appreciated all the work that must have went into them.
So when people say the movie was ruined because a few actors were black? Wow.
I fear for us sometimes.

Chatty Conversationalist

6,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Rue still looked cute, people still cried at her death.
Cinna dressed Katniss, helped her get sponsers.
What does it matter if they are black?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces