Welcome to Gaia! ::

Your opinion of the Hunger Games?

TWILIGHT IS BETTER. 0.075757575757576 7.6% [ 5 ]
HARRY POTTER IS WORSE. 0.060606060606061 6.1% [ 4 ]
This is the only good option. 0.6969696969697 69.7% [ 46 ]
Cold Case is a cool show, bro. 0.16666666666667 16.7% [ 11 ]
Total Votes:[ 66 ]
< 1 2 3 >

The Hunger Games is a well written trilogy from Suzanne Collins. There are many twists in the books and it made me not to put the book down.
Even though it's overrated because it's about kids killing each other, it's really entertaining to read and I recommend it to everyone
Then again, we all have different tastes in books, music, etc. So I know you have your reasons why you dislike the book.

4,100 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Hazardous Infection

Bow down to me!

The writing was okay. But it is well-written when compared to plenty of other YA novels. I thought the twists were all right, but the "cliff-hanger" chapters really got to me.

I was just disappointed in the whole book, probably because I have read plenty of other books to do with children killing other children in a "game-like" environment... I just didn't see the big sparkling gem, but I'm glad that you were able to.

I would recommend it, personally, but after I recommended other books.

Very true. So my opinion and your opinion aren't technically "right" or "wrong."

And I know you have reasons for liking the book. yum_puddi

Those are my orders! Good day!
DarkCastlevaniaNite2
Hazardous Infection

Bow down to me!

The writing was okay. But it is well-written when compared to plenty of other YA novels. I thought the twists were all right, but the "cliff-hanger" chapters really got to me.

I was just disappointed in the whole book, probably because I have read plenty of other books to do with children killing other children in a "game-like" environment... I just didn't see the big sparkling gem, but I'm glad that you were able to.

I would recommend it, personally, but after I recommended other books.

Very true. So my opinion and your opinion aren't technically "right" or "wrong."

And I know you have reasons for liking the book. yum_puddi

Well, I've never read any other books about kids killing each other besides Lord of the Flies, maybe that's why I thought that?

Shirtless Pirate

"нeч mσσn, ρℓeαse ƒσɾget tσ faℓℓ ∂σωn..."

personally, i sat through the twilight series, saw the first movie, lost interest immediately. or maybe i just never was that interested. plus all the vampiric obsession afterwards became a huge turnoff, so if there was any series related to that one topic that came out afterward that was halfway decent...it was just lost to the world i guess.

sadly, i've only seen the HP movies, but i seriously enjoyed them and think they were inventive in their own way. i still want to read the books, of course, but i did really enjoy the movies. i can't think off the top of my head of anything really similar to HP in sense of...really anything about it other than the whole witchcraft/wizardry thing.

the Hunger Games though...i mean, post-apocalyptic worlds aren't the most uncommon thing, neither are controlling governments and punishments for those of lower status; but i think the delivery of the story and the actual Hunger Games parts were interesting, as well as the characters easily to grow attached to. the harsh realities portrayed certainly struck a chord.

"...нeч mσσn, ∂σn't чoυ gσ ∂σωn♪"

4,100 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Hazardous Infection

Bow down to me!

The primary one was Battle Royal- Which was pretty much the same as Hunger Games except way more violent and gorely. Plus it went into the back stories of the "villain" characters too, making them more human.
It has a ton of rape, blood, and death. Really sad. Really good.

njgoronerd

I enjoy hating Twilight. XD. It's pretty sad. But I read the first three books and actually liked them. Breaking Dawn came and I hated it. I reread the others and realized that I hated them. And so the Anti-Twilight happened!

: D. HP, for the wiin.~
Me either! XD.

I thought it was okay. I have read way better, and way worse. It's in the middle for me. I never saw it as anything big. It probably won't stick with me, but I don't know. It might.

I did like the whole covering of the issue of the world not being in black and white. The author does portray the problems within society. But as I said before, it has been done better and it has been done worse.

Shirtless Pirate

DarkCastlevaniaNite2
I enjoy hating Twilight. XD. It's pretty sad. But I read the first three books and actually liked them. Breaking Dawn came and I hated it. I reread the others and realized that I hated them. And so the Anti-Twilight happened!

: D. HP, for the wiin.~
Me either! XD.

I thought it was okay. I have read way better, and way worse. It's in the middle for me. I never saw it as anything big. It probably won't stick with me, but I don't know. It might.

I did like the whole covering of the issue of the world not being in black and white. The author does portray the problems within society. But as I said before, it has been done better and it has been done worse.

heh, i just tend to stay away from it. very far away. and just grimace if anyone asks.

Same, i mean, i did get quite attached to the characters though. i'm usually easy to please though, with that...

for what it aimed for, yeah, it could've been worse i suppose. I didnt' particularly like the energy taken in the last book, i skimmed through most of the battle scenes and stuff, mostly just waiting for one character to come back, and another to die, and then...well finally there were some twists thrown in that caught me off-guard, and the end itself i didn't mind. even if the romance aspect that i'd waited 2/3 of the book to be spoken about was rushed into the last page...

4,850 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Gaian 50
DarkCastlevaniaNite2
I don't like the Hunger Games. Simple.

But what do you like about it?

And please don't bash me for just not finding it that interesting or gripping. I think it's okay. But not the big thing people like to make it out to be. It was an okay YA novel with plot-holes and a good premise that's been done before and been done better. But whatever~.

I agree. I actually just came from watching the Hunger Games 26 minutes ago. I went with a school club, and everyone was excited about it, but I didn't think it was worth all the hulabaloo (maybe it's because I didn't bother to read the book). I'm glad the school payed for me to see the movie, instead of me paying my way. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. I will say that the parts that got to me were the death and burial of Rue, and the attack of the weredogs.
The first book was really good and I thought the other two would meet par but no. The second book was okay I guess but the third totally just screwed up. The movies also moved too fast and missed out a lot of stuff.
InvisableMuffins
Twilight...hunger games. On a scale of the best movies I've seen minus comedy and anime...

Harry Potter 2...rlly don't like them.
Twilight 9
Hunger games 8.999999 I didn't read the book so I was just the slightest bit lost.

How c** you don't like it? I couldn't watch the killing parts but I like the romance and suspense and smartness and...AHHH

Never. Ever. Spell "come" the way you just did. Also...smartness?
I liked the Hunger games, mostly because the story was different from all other young adult books. Since twilight, there have been basically no other books that don't involve a romance involving vampires.
But the writing isn't amazing. It's not Shakespeare or anything. Although, if it was Shakespeare I wouldn't read it.
DarkCastlevaniaNite2
I don't like the Hunger Games. Simple.

But what do you like about it?

And please don't bash me for just not finding it that interesting or gripping. I think it's okay. But not the big thing people like to make it out to be. It was an okay YA novel with plot-holes and a good premise that's been done before and been done better. But whatever~.

Don't worry, I think it's hugely overrated too. I think the majority of its success is due to the absence of a strong female role in mainstream stories these days and it was coming off the back of Twilight's atrocious cast of characters that would, honestly, make anything look good.

The story itself was heavily based off the Greek myth, Thesus and the Minotaur, a fact that the writer admitted to in an interview.

I think teenage readers found the gritty, realistic motives in the story to be a refreshing breath after the pointless, baseless sequence of events in Twilight. This doesn't make THG special at all, it just achieved more readership than other equally good or better books that the general public can't be bothered to give a chance.
I don't like harry potter, I HATE Twilight to death, Cold Case is fine I guess, But the Hunger games is the best one out of all
How can you not like the hunger games!!! its the best movie ever!!!!!!
Did you even read the books? If you didn't and only watched the movie you have no idea what your talking about. You can't say that you don't like it without reading it.

4,100 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
njgoronerd

Bow down to me!

Nice tactic! XD. I'm very opinionated though, so... XD.

Ah. Makes sense.

And that is very true. At least I got a "trying" vibe, whereas from Twilight I got nil. It didn't seem like she even tried. :/.

Never read the last book, so...

Harmony8910

I haven't seen the movie, so I can't really say much. But from what I've heard it was okay. Just like the book. Okay. Not brilliant but not too shabby.

JJmyster22

I just didn't feel enough emotional attachment to the characters to read the next two books. I just couldn't. I thought the first book was okay on its own.

We are Despicable

And it really was! I thought it was good compared to the other crap put out by YA companies. Especially these days! It really isn't too shabby, it's not amazing by any chance- It's okay.

(Shakespeare is confusing- And I probably wouldn't read him unless I REALLY wanted to. XD. Even though I enjoy him. He's really confusing.)

Cogent Dream

Very true. I suppose I just read too many books that are like: Brilliance. So the Hunger Games just couldn't compare.

Meh. I can't say much to that since I adore Greek mythology. XD.

I understand this. I guess I just wish people wouldn't just read what was popular. It's not going to happen though. Which makes me happy for the Hunger Games's success. It means that people will get out of the whole Twilight thing. But it also makes me feel bad for all those brilliant authors who won't get this big. </3.

raganhockey8

I love Harry Potter. I just wanted to make a funny poll.
I hate Twilight as well.
Cold Case is all right. XD. I just was watching the show while making this thread.

I have to disagree... HP is my life. XD.

If you at least read some of the other replies I made to people, you would know why.

-I dislike the Hunger Games because I think it is overrated, I think there are too many plot-holes to overlook, and I couldn't care too much about Katniss or Peeta- which are the main characters. And if Katniss is the main character who narrates the story in first person, well I knew she couldn't die or else there'd be no book, so I knew from the get-go that she would survive. And that took a lot of the drama/suspense away from the book. I thought the plot was overdone- and done much better by other authors, and I thought the whole thing was over-hyped because of the movie. I have read far better by far better authors. No offense to anyone who does like the series.-
(I've never seen the movie.)

His-Pleasure

A. I read the first book. I wasn't emotionally attached or gripped enough to read the rest of the series. That is the author's fault.
B. I can make opinions all I want. Even if it's just based on the movie. The movie is a direct result of the book. Which means it has a great deal of aspects the book has/had.
C. I can say I don't like it even if I didn't read or see the movie. Does that make my claim valid? Not really. I can still say it though, because this is my freedom of opinion.
But I have read the first book. And you would know this if you read at least one of my replies.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces