Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Friend

those city lights
I really liked how The Hanging Tree was weaved in - like through Finnick tying nooses in his rope and little things like that.

I also can't help but notice some parallels to Fahrenheit 451. I was sold when the Star Squad was Squad 451. WHAT ARE THE CHANCES xD

I also really like the names she picked, how all the plant/flower names all matched. Katniss, Hawthorne, Primrose, Buttercup, even Posy (sorta lol)

Idk, maybe not exactly what you were thinking but...>.>

I LOVE that you compared it to Fahrenheit 451! I had to read that book in 9th grade and just the other day when I saw that my freshman friend was reading it, I started flipping through the pages, refreshing myself, and the exact same thought crossed my mind.
Belethiel
Did you know that Cinna (not the character, historical figure) was a Roman politician who plotted against an emperor? There are many parallels to the Capitol and ancient Rome.

Oh my gosh, wow! And then *spoiler* He completly smacked the Capitol in the face when he changed Katniss' wedding dress and made her the Mockingjay. That part just made me not only love him more, but... *spoiler* made it hurt even more when he was killed.

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
mockingjay_everdeen
Belethiel
Did you know that Cinna (not the character, historical figure) was a Roman politician who plotted against an emperor? There are many parallels to the Capitol and ancient Rome.

Oh my gosh, wow! And then *spoiler* That part just made me not only love him more, but... *spoiler* m

I like your cosplay. ^^ There are a couple of fire items out there that could help the effect. I'm sure Gaia is going to make items out of Katniss's clothes eventually. They would be very suitable for our avatars, yes?

Yeah, spoiler: He was a conspirator all the way. Maybe that's why he asked for District 12, too. I always wondered why he did that. Maybe he figured the unrest there would be greatest because they're the poorest. There are also fewer Peacekeepers, so there is a greater chance of a successful uprising there. He wanted a victor from 12 to win, so he put his heart and soul into the tribute's outfits so they would get noticed and get help. Cinna was a rebel all along, I think. I want to know his story.

Fashionable Conversationalist

7,550 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Thread Flip 150
This book reminded me of The Chrysalids:
Capitol= Zealand/Sealand, Waknuk as well, with the strict rules.
Disticts 12= the Fringes
-in poverty
-not alot of laws (e.g. Peacekeepers not enforcing the rules as much)
Panem was created from the ruins of North America
Waknuk and Fringes were created from the ruins of Newfoundland and Labrador.
(S)Zealand was created from the ruins of New Zealand.
Basically the nations were created in a post-apocalyptic setting.

There's more to add...but I'm might end up spoiling The Hunger Games in the process. sweatdrop
Belethiel
mockingjay_everdeen
Belethiel

Oh my gosh, wow! And then *spoiler* That part just made me not only love him more, but... *spoiler* m

Yeah, spoiler: He was a conspirator all the way. Maybe that's why he asked for District 12, too. I always wondered why he did that. Maybe he figured the unrest there would be greatest because they're the poorest. There are also fewer Peacekeepers, so there is a greater chance of a successful uprising there. He wanted a victor from 12 to win, so he put his heart and soul into the tribute's outfits so they would get noticed and get help. Cinna was a rebel all along, I think. I want to know his story.

As do I... He is actually one of my favourite characters. My thought is, perhaps it's his youth that made him want to pick 12, and act on the rebellion? Maybe he wanted to rebel, but couldn't do much outright? I dunno. Just rambling xD

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
WishingTreeCreation
Finally a real discussion about the books and not just another Twilight 'team' garbage thread!

Anyways, the first thing that really struck me about the books was the fact that they were written in present tense. Every other present tense book I've read has been somewhat awkward to read because the tense felt a little unnatural, like even the author was struggling with it (and perhaps I'm just not reading the right ones). The Hunger Games not only displayed proficiency in present tense, but it was actually very well written and so easy to read that after a few paragraphs, I stopped noticing.

My favorite thing about the books was how relevant they are to some of the things we see in America today. I especially thought it was brilliant how much the story focused on the role the media plays in affecting how society views the world around them, especially when it comes to conflict. Throughout the entire story, Katniss is forced to do and say things because of how they will be portrayed on tv and how people will view her as a result, and it's very clear just how important that is in the story. I think that's very relevant to our world today, where so much of our time is spent tuning in to what's on the television or the internet.

***Spoiler Alert!***

I especially loved the end of the series. I've heard a lot of people say they disliked Mockingjay, particularly because it was such a depressing book with a depressing ending. Yes, it was sad. And I was absolutely hearbroken in so many ways as I read it. But I was not disappointed. In fact, I think I would have been disappointed if things had all worked out for everyone and they all lived happily ever after. That just wouldn't have been appropriate. There was something very haunting to me about the end of Mockingjay---everything from Prim's death to Katniss killing Coin instead of Snow to the fact that she doesn't talk to Gale anymore after that despite the fact that they've been so close. It just showed perfectly how devastating war really is and how lasting the scars left behind can be. It was a brilliant ending, in my oppinion. It took me a while to really accept the reality of it because I wanted a happier ending for everyone, too. But now I realize that Collins ended the series exactly how it needed to end.

Meow! *Buttercup posts quality threads*

*Buttercup purrs in agreement to everything you said and also wonders why people don't like Mockingjay, it was the best one in the trilogy in his opinion even though he SPOILER: lost his mommy.*

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
mockingjay_everdeen
Belethiel
mockingjay_everdeen
Belethiel

As do I... He is actually one of my favourite characters. My thought is, perhaps it's his youth that made him want to pick 12, and act on the rebellion? Maybe he wanted to rebel, but couldn't do much outright? I dunno. Just rambling xD

*Buttercup shall investigate and Belethiel shall write Cinna fanfiction when she feels like it*

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff