Welcome to Gaia! ::

I last read The Hobbit a year ago, and when I went to see the film yesterday I was pretty happy with how well they'd pulled it off in comparison to the book. I'm not sure how they're making three films out of it though, but I'm really not complaining because the more the merrier. I just can't make my mind up which one I prefer, obviously the film isn't complete yet, but from what I've seen I'm going to presume I'll love both of them equally as I do with LOTR.

Anyways, question time.
Which do you prefer, book or film? Why?
Do you think seeing the film will change your view of the book?
If you haven't read the book do you think seeing the film will influence you to?

Noob

xx
          I'd prefer the book more than the movie since the book has more stuff in it that the movie doesn't show. Like I was filled with joy when the dwarves sang the 'What Bilbo Baggins Hates', but I was extremely sad that Thorin wasn't one of those who fell on the floor like in the book. Also I wanted to see the elves playful singing~
At the moment I prefer the movie instead of the book. The reason being that when I last read the book it was about 7 years ago for a 9th grade reading project and I remember it being extremely boring in most parts. But I blame that on reading it for school instead of for fun. ヽ(  ̄д ̄; )ノ

If I ever get around reading The Hobbit again, I might have to change my opinion on this matter.

Feral Fatcat

i think having 3 movies is a good thing, the book was short in comparison to the other 3 and the movies will expand on the ideas. Some scenes seemed a bit short in the book. The movies should make it more entertaining. And it will be the first time I have spent more time watching a movie(s) of a book, than actually reading it x)

Witty Prophet

11,575 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Mark Twain 100
A. It was an ok comparrison to the movie... They did add a few things, and subtract a few things, the visuals were great... But! They left off at the biggest turn of events, AND! left out alot of details like escaping the elves. The spiders in the forest, (short reference, but no escape) alot of things were... Meh... And Gandalf ended up leaving them after the necromancer part in the book... So...Tha hell?
Loved the book, havent seen the movie yet sad orz

Interesting Gekko

I saw The Fellowship before reading the books. I'm obsessed with originals.
After I finished the series, I was angry that they didn't include Tom Bombadil, made a love story where there wasn't one, and made Aragorn a silent, sexy beast whereas he's actually boyish and excitable, in my opinion.
But I mean, it does make sense. I mean...love stories are like movie 'must haves', and of course, they have to edit for time, and changing personalities isn't such a far leap for Hollywood.

The movies are fantastic in their own right. and with all my disappointments, they followed the books pretty well. I mean, I thought about it for a while, but they really did.

I can't say I prefer either. Both are incredible. and ...I also saw a post in this forum somewhere, that said movies and books are different mediums and can't be measured equally. I thought about that for a bit, and decided that's very true.

Do the movies influence me? Well, no.
This is the first movie that hasn't made me think of Sam Gangee as Sean Austin. I think of Sam as ...Sam.

What can I say? I'm just a sucker for a good story. -shrugs- It's the same story, but maybe ...told in a different way. Still the same though.

REALLY looking forward to The Hobbit.

Eloquent Streaker

Pirate Cadaver
A. It was an ok comparrison to the movie... They did add a few things, and subtract a few things, the visuals were great... But! They left off at the biggest turn of events, AND! left out alot of details like escaping the elves. The spiders in the forest, (short reference, but no escape) alot of things were... Meh... And Gandalf ended up leaving them after the necromancer part in the book... So...Tha hell?
Are you saying the movie left out the escape from the wood-elves and the spiders? Because the movie ended before they entered Mirkwood, which is where all that happens.

Eloquent Streaker

The movie is a bit better than the book. I like the stuff they added in, like the story behind Smaug's attack on Erebor, the grudge between Thorin and Azog, the extra stuff involving Rivendell, and most of all, Radagast.

Witty Prophet

11,575 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Requiem ex Inferni
Pirate Cadaver
Are you saying the movie left out the escape from the wood-elves and the spiders? Because the movie ended before they entered Mirkwood, which is where all that happens.

I'm pretty sure, almost positive, after the necromancer thing, Gandalf leaves the company.
I'm also pretty sure, that he doesn't rejoin till well after the meeting with Lord Elron. just before Meeting Beorn. while being pursued by Orcs, and they also left out the meeting of the King of the Eagles.... D<

Eloquent Streaker

Pirate Cadaver
Requiem ex Inferni
Pirate Cadaver

I'm pretty sure, almost positive, after the necromancer thing, Gandalf leaves the company.
I'm also pretty sure, that he doesn't rejoin till well after the meeting with Lord Elron. just before Meeting Beorn. while being pursued by Orcs, and they also left out the meeting of the King of the Eagles.... D<
Gandalf left before the encounter with the trolls, came back during the encounter with the trolls, was separated from and eventually reunited with the party in Goblin-town, and stuck with them until just before they entered Mirkwood. After that, he didn't reunite with them until after the Battle of Five Armies.

The movie changed it so he stayed in Rivendell when the others set out and didn't reunite with them until they had been captured in Goblin-town.

Adorable Lunatic

♈═━┈┈━═♈
Don't kill me.
I actually prefer the movie.
I felt all the changes Jackson made were for the better.

♈═━┈┈━═♈
first of all divide the film into three parts is been a bullshit
a lot of things are changed from book.. of sure a film not to be missed, but honestly it disappointed me a bit
so for me the book won!

Dangerous Sex Symbol

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Of course, I answer with no thinking that the BOOK is better than movie, because in the book there are all natural, nothing wraped, we get all our thoughts by Tolkien's hand. But, movies are great too. PJ hadn't made a bad work for sure, his movies are really awesome. I can feel, it all was maden with love. heart

Anxious Fatcat

I feel like a stupid for saying that I haven't seen the movie yet although I'm commenting on this.. Anyway, I've read the book when I was younger and had to read it again for a school assignment. I loved it to death then and the feeling is still the same. From what I've heard from my friends, the movie is a masterpeice and to tell the truth, I'm certain it is. I've been listening to "Over the Misty Mountains Cold" 24/7.

Sweet mother of Abraham Lincoln, I want to marry Richard Armitage (and if not him, at least his voice)..

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff