Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Sex Symbol

11,000 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
Scale 1 - 10.

My 2001 Malibu Ls need it's pump replaced. I got the part (price shocked the hell out of me)
And a mech wants to charge 120 to put it in...
That's all fine but I'm mr cheap. I have looked up the process on YouTube and seen that most vids are like 20-25 mins long and haven't actually looked at them.

Anyway, that's my question.

Cultist

The answer is in said youtube videos.
Cars either have the fuel pump right outside of the fuel tank, or inside of it.

If the Malibu has it outside, yeah it's an easy job.

If it's inside, you have to disconnect the fuel tank, drop it, drag it out, open an access panel, and swap the pump.

Neither are really that difficult, it just a matter of siphoning the gas out of the tank, and lining it back up to get it back in right.

I changed the fuel filter on my vehicle myself, it required a special tool, that cost more than the filter itself. I paid a shop to do my fuel pump, but I regret it, because it was something my brothers could have helped me with.

Quote:
I have looked up the process on YouTube and seen that most vids are like 20-25 mins long and haven't actually looked at them.

WATCH THE GODDAMN VIDEOS
If the pump is in the tank, and it most likely is, you either have to drop the whole tank which can be a pain in the a**, or you can access it usually from the bottom of the back seats. If it is accessible from the bottom of the back seats, in my opinion, thats a lot easier, because I assume you don't have a lift. Working with something big like a fuel tank without a lift is just torture. Anywho, if it is accessible from under the back seats, all you have to do is remove either the seatback or the seat bottom and open up a panel and you have access to it. Personally I've both dropped a tank and removed seats to change fuel pumps, but I had access to a lift.
Its not usually that hard, just a pain in the a**.

Dangerous Sex Symbol

Wrong wrong wrong wrong....
Most cars and even some SUVs that have a pump inside the tank have a god damned access hole inside the vehicle directly above the sending unit.

although it will be sealed up with some nasty ******** glue/sealant....s**t
heat it up, pop that s**t loose, disconnect the sending unit from the fuel lines and pop loose what ever retainer is on the sending unit (I don't know if they still use a ring or not)

The access hole will be under a rear seat or in the trunk it will be harder to get it off than it is to find it.

8,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Forum Explorer 100
iVEZPA
Scale 1 - 10.

My 2001 Malibu Ls need it's pump replaced. I got the part (price shocked the hell out of me)
And a mech wants to charge 120 to put it in...
That's all fine but I'm mr cheap. I have looked up the process on YouTube and seen that most vids are like 20-25 mins long and haven't actually looked at them.

Anyway, that's my question.

if you have tools and are mechanicly incline you can do it...you tube is a great thing

Sparkly Genius

25,225 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
Depends on the car. If you have to drop the tank, it's a hassle, but on some cars you can do it without. I'm not sure about your model. I will tell you that just because the video is 20min long, doesn't mean the job will be. A seven min vid on replacing the A/C of my friend's truck turned out to be a multi-week endeavor. -_-

Dapper Businesswoman

7,250 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Dude pay the 120. The fuel pump isn't hard to replace, but it ******** sucks for the clean up.

Hallowed Defender

7,400 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Entrepreneur 150
If the pump is in the tank just pay the mechanic, if not find yourself someone that knows what they're doing before you attempt it and talk them into helping out the first time around, it's better than screwing it up and having the mechanic fix it anyways.
Since it's the pump, I would rate it a 6 just because it's a pain trying to get the tank down from the car. I voted mine an 11 because 1. I had a truck and 2. I was by myself, so there was a FULL tank of gas that put all it's weight on me when I finally got it off the hinges. Like a big fat whale doing a belly flop on you, it was a nightmare for me. But once you have it down, and depending on how old it is, it shouldn't be too hard to get the pump out from the tank! Just please god be careful around smokers. My step-dad wasn't paying attention and flicked his cigarette towards the ground RIGHT NEXT TO ME WHILE I HAD GAS ALL OVER MY ARMS. He realized why I screamed and kicked the cigarette away haha... Ha....

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff