Welcome to Gaia! ::

Timid Star

6,800 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Novice Attacker 150
Any car buffs and mechanics, please help me!!

I just got my car out of the shop today after getting my radiator and thermostat housing replaced. When I picked the car up this morning, it started up just fine with no issues. Even after getting home and letting it sit for about 2-3 hours, it started up fine.

I went to run an errand shortly after starting it the second time and after letting it sit for less than 10 minutes, it wouldn't start up. When I first tried, I put the key in the ignition and it initially started dinging (when your keys are in the ignition and the door's open) but when I tried to start it, it almost turned over and then just stopped. When I tried to turn it over again, nothing happened. None of my lights would even work, the dinging from the key being in the ignition wasn't going off, my dome light and headlights weren't working. Nothing.

I'm sure this has something to do with the battery but could it be just the battery or could it possibly be something else that effects the battery itself? The worst part is I just had the battery replaced a few months ago. Could there be any issue with the car sitting for a week with it possibly not being started while in the shop?

GAHHHH I hope someone could possibly post something that is in the least bit helpful..

Timid Star

6,800 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Novice Attacker 150

Darth Lath's Princess

Beloved Lunatic

21,950 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Magical Girl 50
Check that the cables are on tight and are clean (free of corrosion), and that the hold down is tight and in place.
Other possibilities: bad cell in battery-this can be tested usually by the place you purchased the battery from and can be warrantied as well, parasitic draw
Did you leave anything on? EX: Lights
Do you have anything after market? EX: after market lighting such as neon lighting or technostalgia tail lamps, or after market stereo system. any of these could have a parasitic draw that could kill a battery.

OG Noob

7,775 Points
  • Married 100
  • Divorced 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
nezumia
Any car buffs and mechanics, please help me!!

I just got my car out of the shop today after getting my radiator and thermostat housing replaced. When I picked the car up this morning, it started up just fine with no issues. Even after getting home and letting it sit for about 2-3 hours, it started up fine.

I went to run an errand shortly after starting it the second time and after letting it sit for less than 10 minutes, it wouldn't start up. When I first tried, I put the key in the ignition and it initially started dinging (when your keys are in the ignition and the door's open) but when I tried to start it, it almost turned over and then just stopped. When I tried to turn it over again, nothing happened. None of my lights would even work, the dinging from the key being in the ignition wasn't going off, my dome light and headlights weren't working. Nothing.

I'm sure this has something to do with the battery but could it be just the battery or could it possibly be something else that effects the battery itself? The worst part is I just had the battery replaced a few months ago. Could there be any issue with the car sitting for a week with it possibly not being started while in the shop?

GAHHHH I hope someone could possibly post something that is in the least bit helpful..

It be the alternator, not the battery. In fact, I'm willing to bet it's the alternator.

Back when my roommate and I were towing all our s**t downstate to move in to our apartment, we used his grandpa's Suburban and it literally did the same thing the moment we were about to turn out onto the highway. Luckily we were able to push it into the garage which was right next to us. Turns out the alternator was out. We literally had the same issues as you're having. Usually, when the battery is out, the car will still try to turn it's gears.

If you're still convinced it's the battery, I suggest taking a voltmeter and checking if the battery has a charge with that.

Best part is that alternators don't cost a lot to fix.

Hope this helps c:
I too bet on the alternator, that sounds just like an alternator failure to me. Might as well get a reworked / rewound alternator instead of a new one though, works just as well since they made it to be as new, but costs even less than a new alternator.

DreadWhore's Other Half

Omnipresent Gekko

Jump the car and pull off the negative battery terminal
If the car dies, it's your alternator, if it doesn't, then you're battery is still s**t

Generally speaking though, if it takes the jump at all, and continues to run, it's likely the battery, if it dies once the terminal clamps come off, it's the alternator and your battery needs to be charged

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff