Welcome to Gaia! ::

I love weaving! I'm making a little thing now which I'm going to hang in my room. But that's with the toy loom I got when I was seven. I think I'm really lucky to not only have a real loom of my own, but one that takes up no more space than a corner of my house. When I finish my current project I'm planning on weaving a scarf. I'll post pictures of the stuff I make here soon as I get a photobucket account.
I've done a little bit of weaving. It's a good way to relax... once you get the loom set up. But my loom takes forever to set up... I think I need to replace the pedal's hooks... For a little while I was working at a place where they did hand-weaving for the tourists to look at and I got to do the warps there on a big vertical warp-wheel. Was doing 40 yard warps most of the time, a few as long as 90. BIG wheel.

Have you ever tried to use an inkle loom? I haven't, but I'd be interested in hearing stories about them. They're table-top looms and I think they weave tubes...
CateranLlama
I've done a little bit of weaving. It's a good way to relax... once you get the loom set up. But my loom takes forever to set up... I think I need to replace the pedal's hooks... For a little while I was working at a place where they did hand-weaving for the tourists to look at and I got to do the warps there on a big vertical warp-wheel. Was doing 40 yard warps most of the time, a few as long as 90. BIG wheel.

Have you ever tried to use an inkle loom? I haven't, but I'd be interested in hearing stories about them. They're table-top looms and I think they weave tubes...
Actually I don't know too much about different looms. But sounds interesting. What kinds of stuff do you make?
I LOVE weaving, which is good because my next college project is weave. Don't think I'll post it here though - it's gonna be mainly white, and textural so I don't think you'd see the results well enough.

It's so relaxing though, even if it does take a long time sweatdrop
eiry
It's so relaxing though, even if it does take a long time sweatdrop
Yeah, it calmed my anxiety before I went to an airport recently.
CateranLlama

Inkle looms make some really neat stuff. They are mainly for making belts, trim, that kind of thing. Inkles create warp-faced bands (where the pattern is completely made by the warp, you don't see the weft at all.). I've never played with one (I do a lot of tablet-weaving and rigid heddle weaving) but I've seen them used a whole bunch. The best thing about them is that they are portable!
I have a cute little table loom, but just had the opportunity to use a four harness floor loom...and wow is it ever awesome. Definately recomended!
I just threaded up my loom for my project today... and my back is DEAD. My eyes are on their way out too, I forgot my glasses and... squinting whilst threading for about an hour is NOT GOOD.

Weave's gonna be awesome though, really textural, mainly plain, and white. Should be a really nice easy-paced project.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff